• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Poor disclosure in sales threads!

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
And with a wave of my magic wand......!!POFF!!......your post is now gibberish.
fee-29322.gif

Every morning a group of dirty pugs and two fat professors carefully shaved the little piglet with axes.

Toodles Spammie.
byeBye1.gif

I wonder who this dead shit is?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
And with a wave of my magic wand......!!POFF!!......your post is now gibberish.
fee-29322.gif

Every morning a group of dirty pugs and two fat professors carefully shaved the little piglet with axes.

Toodles Spammie.
byeBye1.gif
LOL. Cacking spammers.

gumption rusty

13/6/09
I imagine this would be pretty tough to moderate, but perhaps there should be an experienced sales forum with minimum time and posts, and good sales reviews within RWI.

It could be something along the lines of you're only allowed to post in the thread if you've been a member for over a year, have 50 quality posts, and have a least 2 or 3 good sales reviews.

thoughts?

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
TB will say "tools are given, people just need to use it"
So yea, lets start giving negative ratings when needed.

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
I imagine this would be pretty tough to moderate, but perhaps there should be an experienced sales forum with minimum time and posts, and good sales reviews within RWI.

It could be something along the lines of you're only allowed to post in the thread if you've been a member for over a year, have 50 quality posts, and have a least 2 or 3 good sales reviews.

thoughts?

Would not work as people are saying, they are afraid to leave bad feedback to a seller due to retaliation.

Need a system like ebay where seller cant neg a buyer now, except with some seller protection still built in. Like where a mod can neg a buyer on behalf of the seller after an investigation or something. So sellers still have a little protection, but buyers are not afraid to be honest when they feel they got shafted.

shandroid

13/9/10
Well, according to the seller (not a noob, and has a decent amount of pos feedback);

- the ding I speak of must have happened in transit (Yet, I checked the packaging... No tears or damage, and the watch was bubble wrapped. It's a decent sized ding - not the type of thing a slight knock through a padded bag and then bubble wrap could ever cause, especially without leaving damage to the packaging!)

- according to the seller, the seconds hand reset issue is my fault because I didn't ask enough questions (a watch listed as near mint - in my book at least - is near mint. Reading 'near mint' in a listing is generally not a flag to ask questions about dings, scratches (I'm not talking about tiny swirls here, either!) and chrono reset issues... Near mint in my sales listings means, NEAR MINT!

- the crown tube is not worth mentioning as it screws down, and is therefore not stripped (I concur, it DOES have some purchase... A whole half a turn! A good seller would have mentioned this)

In hindsight, the pictures are crap in the sales thread, and conveniently, there is no clear pic of the caseback... Maybe that should have been a warning - but again, I was buying a watch that was claimed to be 'near mint'... Had its condition been stated as 'daily beater' I really would have no choice but to wear it on the chin. Still though, a fair and proper description should be the least we can expect from sellers, even when described as a daily beater.

I can tell you right now, there are a couple of members who've commented in this thread already who've bought 'daily beaters' from me in far better condition than the POS I received this morning. And, as a result, they were cheap - as expected, given their condition.

To top it off, the seller has bought from me in the past. No issues mentioned, but after i bring my concerns to his attention, he decides to tell me he felt jipped because of a misalignment issue with the watch I sold him?! Wtf!!! Had he mentioned it, I would have said send it back, here's a refund, I'll sell it elsewhere!!!! The pics in my sales thread were clear, the watch was as received from new, and now the seller is trying to compare a common QC (ie; replica flaw) to actual damage and misrepresentation on the watch he sold me.

Lol. **** me - what a joke!

carlton

2/10/11
With his reply, it's time to name and leave negative feedback.

shandroid

13/9/10
With his reply, it's time to name and leave negative feedback.

Mate, a big part of me wants to... But I'll go through the proper channels first out of respect to the mods, and the other member... But, that's subject to change depending on his decision on how best to deal with this. If he comes good, I'll treat it as water under the bridge. If not, **** him.

In any case, he can take the watch back and issue a refund voluntarily or forcibly, but if I see the watch pop up in another of his sales threads without proper mention, I will be shitting all over his thread with the truth about the watch.

Lets just see what happens after I hear from the mods.

carlton

2/10/11
Mate, a big part of me wants to... But I'll go through the proper channels first out of respect to the mods, and the other member... But, that's subject to change depending on his decision on how best to deal with this. If he comes good, I'll treat it as water under the bridge. If not, **** him.

In any case, he can take the watch back and issue a refund voluntarily or forcibly, but if I see the watch pop up in another of his sales threads without proper mention, I will be shitting all over his thread with the truth about the watch.

Lets just see what happens after I hear from the mods.

Respect to you, with all these nonsense that you have gone through in this sales you are still able to keep your cool and go through the correct procedure.:thumbsup:

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
I agree with the poor disclosure lately.
For me it's been honesty about the movements.

Some don't keep accurate time (we're talking losing 30 min over a few hours here), others have ZERO power reserve, etc. - none of which were disclosed.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone asking me what time it is and looking down to see that my new to me watch isn't even close (or worse not even ticking)...then having to pull my phone out of my pocket.

templeton

19/11/11
Disclosure has been poor for as long as I've been around. Not for every forum sale, but I've definitely had a few arrive where I've gotten disappointing surprises.

I used to think a C&R sale for a piece I wanted was good fortune - the watch I want for a little less than buying from a TD without the hassle of overseas shipping. But I've started to think for a lot of people it's really code for "This watch I recently got has a flaw but it's not worth it to send it back. Maybe I can just unload it on the forum and pretend I didn't know about it or it happened in transit."

Usually the issues have been minor, but still warranted disclosure. Having known about them, it certainly would have affected my decision to buy, or at the very least, the offer I made. In amazing coincidences the photos were all taken from angles that hid the flaws. Other issues I've encountered have been almost unworkable crown, barely there power reserve...all unmentioned by supposedly "unaware" sellers who claim to have just got the watch in the mail from the TD and decided it's not for them.

It's always a tough situation. Do you call them out or give them the benefit of the doubt? I mean theoretically it's possible that something happened in transit, but odds are against it.

Either way, ignorance shouldn't be an excuse for passing junk onto another member. I'm usually against more rules, and to be honest I don't agree with some sales forum rules (though obviously as a member I respect and abide by them), but I almost wonder if part of the sales thread template should include a place that sellers have to include things like power reserve, etc.

Anyway, nothing can be done about it now, but it's definitely made me a lot more gun-shy about buying on the forum. It did feel good to vent, though. Thanks RWI! :cheers:

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
I once started a 'what they say' vs 'what they really mean' thread on this forum, all about watch sales.

There was lots of good hearted banter on there, but there was also an undercurrent of 'yeah, I've been ripped too - let me tell you how.'

It's a little sad when we call each other 'mate', and then rip one another off.

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
Don't take anyone's word then. Make sure you ask for great pics and if its still not good for you then don't buy the watch. I'm sure there is another.

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
sometimes I like taking the risk on a sale that has horrible shitty pics and a great price...most people stay away and then being the idiot risk taker I am decide to try my luck...so far I've come out ahead but I know one day its gonna bite me hard

shandroid

13/9/10
Don't take anyone's word then. Make sure you ask for great pics and if its still not good for you then don't buy the watch. I'm sure there is another.

Agreed, but that's sort of missing the point, isn't it... Whilst one may dodge the bullet, the watch and thread are still available to snag some other unassuming buyer.

At the end of the day, maybe sales mods should approve every thread? Maybe we should have a standardized photo requirement, in terms of quality and number, (ie, picture face on, crown side case, side case, 12 o'clock lug, 6 o'clock, caseback, etc etc) if not in focus, thread is nuked, seller is to try again!

One thread in particular of mine, I legitimately did not notice a ding in a watch I was selling until I was bumping the thread. I saw the ding out of the corner of my eye and immediately dropped the price and updated the thread with news of what I'd seen (disappointingly!). At the end of the day, even if I'd missed it and the watch shipped, the photos would have been proof that the ding was there and I would have had to work something out with the buyer accordingly - something I would do without issue or argument.

At the end of the day, it's all too easy to claim not to be a photographer (man I fall into that category - big time!, and I still manage!) but that's bullshit. It's no excuse!

The cameras on modern phones these days are more than adequate to snap in focus, clear, high res pics under good natural light, so you don't really even need a dslr! Therefore, that's no excuse either!

It's merely a convenient way to enable ignorance in situations like this!

RedDawn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/09
I have been lucky with my purchases but the threads need more pictures with more angles and crystal clear photos. some of the picture are abysmal and taken 5 feet from the watch. Borrow a freaking camera. Light it properly. Wipe off all your grubby fingerprints!!!