• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why choose expensive automatics over quartz?

roscosera

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/7/11
There's a sense of occasion to wearing an automatic. You need to set it up if you haven't worn it in a few days and they're potentially fragile and demand respect.
Sometimes you just want to put a watch on and not worry about it. That's when quartz comes into its own. I usually wear a quartz watch and save the automatic for a special (or semi-special) occasion.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Why is this in the Omega section?

And a point that I did not see is that most quartz models don't come with sapphire. The have mineral crystals.

And .........

I agree with you and tommyboy brtelec but this is the rep game, not the gen game!...ultimate priority in the rep game is getting aesthetics correct?

Not with this wise and savvy crew of members we have here on RWI. ;) We know that we can get both "aesthetics" and "function"!!!!

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
If there is anybody who likes quartz rep, i have TAG grand carrera with quartz movement. Please buy it from me.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
If there is anybody who likes quartz rep, i have TAG grand carrera with quartz movement. Please buy it from me.

If you want to sell a watch, please do it the right way by filling the sales form and listing it per the rules - before you get yourself a slap on the wrist... or worse.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
If you want to sell a watch, please do it the right way by filling the sales form and listing it per the rules - before you get yourself a slap on the wrist... or worse.

Exactly what he said, backdoor sales are forbidden so follow the rules and avoid posts like that in the future or you will be in troubles..!

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13

I am sorry if it seems that I was trying to have backdoor sale. I assure you I wasn't. I can see now why it would seem that way. I only was referring to my pre rwi days purchase of a crappy grand carrera. I was referring to inferior quality of my quartz rep. I apologize again.

Sent from my calculator using nothing

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
I was comparing reps available here and crap you buy on the streets(my case, streets of Dubai). It is so embarrassing I worn it for total of 20 mins out of four years of ownership.

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Doesn't the automatic movement itself also add weight to the overall watch? Making it seem sturdier (and therefore better quality and more satisfying feel)?

For me, if I see someone wearing an expensive watch and then see a ticking seconds hand, it ruins all the magic and it is an immediate give away that it is a rep.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the whole point me owning a rep is that I want it as close as possible to the gen, and with a quartz movement that's NEVER going to happen!!

It would be like seeing a Ferrari with a FIAT badge... or seeing a Lamborghini and hearing its engine make the noise of a vespa...
(does this last comparison give away that I am Italian?) :)