• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why does everyone say "mate"?

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
He's been discovered and removed a half dozen times since then, he doesn't
give up easy our Cap'n Morgan and neither do four or five other serial scammers. The price of a scammer free forum is indeed eternal vigilance and the RWI Team put a lot of work into keeping these asshats out.

A hardcore scammer he is. :asshat:

Thumbs up for the RWI Team to keep this forum safe to trade around!!!:thumbsup:
Thanks for all the great work, mate!:maty:

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
I'm just eternally grateful that the world has moved on from calling one another 'man'.

Oh, how I hated that........

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Whats this silly talk?? I like bro, man, and brother, these aren't offensive terms they are endearing.

Sup bro??

Yo yo yo man.

My brother, hows it hanging??

:snort:

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
I'm guilty, I blame trailboss :lol:

Sent from my DROIDX

Haha, you know what, a PM from you is what sparked this question. You replied to me with a "mate", but I knew you were CONUS. I had to ask.

And he is the boss, everything is HIS fault. The "perks" of being the leader.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
There has been plans of dropping the "mate" thing and only allowing cockney rhyming slang in posts and scous in PM's
-currently i only communicate in geordie in PM's

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
This is important stuff. I'm glad you brought it up.

I've been wanting to adopt and use mate for quite a long time, but feared the aussies and brits would think I was a poser. Mate is cool. Bro, dude, man, etc is not.

As an American, can I safely adopt and use mate? What say you, brits and aussies?

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
We're global, mate....

It's a global forum and things will rub off on ya ....... mate! :maty:

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
Non-Australians and non-Brits using "mate"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOelY2o7xLw"]Tokyo Breakfast - What's up my nigga~ - YouTube[/ame]

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Is there even a US equivalent to "mate"?

Dude, bro, etc... so something, I dont know what to call it, but I dont use any of those. Unless Im saying it sarcastically to a friend, Then Ill also throw out stuff like "wussup guy?"

Im getting used to hearing(reading) the word mate now, solely because of you guys... but whenever I do, I still sometimes get this flash of "g'day mate!" in my head.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
mate is better than being called "friend" at any conceivable occasion by the chinese vendors on ebay.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Bump.. I need some answers. Paging Brits and Aussies!

lloydbee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/12
It's an Australian thing ... just do what we do downunder, and call everyone mate :)
It makes for a better society.

Bump.. I need some answers. Paging Brits and Aussies!

It comes from being laid back ad friendly society I believe and it creates a friendly atmosphere except when you say it to a stranger in Russia, all you get is a 'wtf, do I know you?' expression in return.