• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6497-1 conversion (marlin22 help me!!!)

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Hello,

I have a question:

I finally bought 2 movements:

- an 18000 eta movement
- an asian 21000 movement

I want to convert the genuine eta movement to 6497-2 by replacing the balance (I can do this, because I trained on this) and the wheels.
I think the first thing is to separate the balance from the holding assembly which is very easy because You only have to remove the dagger pin.
But what should I do with the wheels? Are they also replaceable?

Do You think this is possible? Are the wheels interchangeable?

If no, then where can I get the right wheels for the eta ?

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
After 2 hours I found out that the main wheel and 2 other wheels have to be replaced as they are too thin on the asian one.

Can someone tell me please where to get swiss wheels?

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I would check Ottofrei or cousinsUK

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Ok found it :)

In fact I am a little concerned about the movement!

It looks like an ETA but on the baseplate it has a jewel for the Rotor ?!!!

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
OK I found out where to get parts.

Now I went to a watches man and he told me, my movement is a licensed ETA Copy for the asian market. This is the reason it has a stamping. And YES - it is really possible to convert it to 6497-2!!!

What I did :

1) I ordered a Center Wheel
2) the other wheels
3) a cheap 6497-2 asian movement. I will use this one for removing the balance wheel assembly!

Now I think it is time for making some pics ;)

LETS BEGIN A NEW PROJECT!

@ Admin: Please don't delete this post cause after I got my parts I will put many pics of my effort here ;)

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
Make sure you take lots of pics as you do this, Step-by-step ideally! ;) :D

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
good morning everyone!

This project is a lot complicated :)

I ordered the parts! Total cost was 40€ (original ETA Parts).

Now it comes to the topic: I found out that my movement is the Hangzhou movement. It is a licensed ETA manufacturer from China.
Many people say, that it is a fake ETA Stamp, but this is simply not true - Hangzhou was producing ETA movements as well.

My first questions:

Does the Hangzhou parts measure the same as the ETA Parts? Are they interchangeable?

My second question:

Is the balance wheel from the Seagul ST36 movement also interchangeable with the Hangzhou movement? The balance holder is not interchangeable but the balance wheel must be identical?

After I got the answer I will begin with the disassembly :)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Out of curiosity, where did you read that HWC has a license to produce parts for ETA?

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
A local watchmaker tol it to me. He said, that movements with this stamp and production line are very rare and have 18 instead of 17 jewels.

However - do You think the parts are interchangeable with ETA parts?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
When you know that the vast majority of ETA clones with countrefeit stamping are made by HWC, it's kind of doubtfull they're a subcontractor for ETA. I'm not saying they wern't producing parts for ETA under license at some point, years ago, but today that's very unlikely.

As for your question about interchangeability, I'm afraid it's not possible to tell.

HWC produces various versions of the 6497, and for example the lowest grades parts have thicker axis, because they're made with lower grade alloy, and if they were as thin as parts made with better quality alloy, they wouldn't handle the force and bend.

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Damn! I allready ordered 6497-2 ETA Parts... well Problem solved: I will buy a genuine ETA 6497 from my local watch dealer. And I will insist on papers!

My project will still go on ;)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I didn't think the 6497-2 gen ETA movement was so expensive that it would make it worth buying movements and parts and modding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I didn't think the 6497-2 gen ETA movement was so expensive that it would make it worth buying movements and parts and modding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6497-2 itself is not very expensive, but the supply being restricted to watch assemblers, the rare supply companies who manage to get their hands on some sell them a fortune.

And I will insist on papers!
Only way to have a sealed one is to order by the piece from ETA, but no worries, it's pretty easy to tell swiss from chinese on these movements. Everything is different, from the cutout of the wheels to the finish of the plates.

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Hey,

I found a movement from a seller called Tourby - Does somebody know him?

I found his name on this forum - maybe it is worth investing in one of his movements? He sells an ETA 6497-1 for 290€ ?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Tourby is very reliable, but you can find a 6497-1 from about any watch supply company for a little over 100 euros. Even for a decorated movement 290 is kind of expensive.

It's the 6497-2 that is harder to find.

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
The 6497-1 can be converted to beat at 21600, I do it on all my watches. But it takes more than just gear changes, you need to change jewels and more, It has taken me many years of trial and error to perfect this technique, and it is not something for the novice. You would need staking tools and other specialized equipment, that's the reason for the higher prices on the watches.

If you can find a 6497-2 you will pay dear for it. They are next to impossible to come by.

PS no Chinese movements come with ETA stamp, if anyone has one please post it. And ETA does not licence anyone to clone their movements or parts there of. Ail Chinese clones are just that, they are all counterfeit clones breaking all licensing and copyright laws. If ETA had their way none of us would have rep watches!

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
no Chinese movements come with ETA stamp, if anyone has one please post it.
Sorry mate but that's not true.

There are clones with ETA stamp, I've seen some, as well as many others. I have no idea if they're still in production but they sure were at some point, and I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find more about that, as it's a topic that have been discussed several times.

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Hello,

Well at least I want to have a genuine ETA 6497-1 :/
Can anyone Tell me please where to get One for about 100€?
Maybe there is a seller from this Forum?

Somehow I want to habe a genuine Swiss movement in my Project ^^