• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

LUME - What's the big deal?

wossobama

Known Member
17/1/11
Why is everyone so obsessed about having the brightest lume possible?

I agree a bad lume may be a tell, but a reasonable lume should do fine. Why the big deal about it?

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
I like to be able to read my watch in the dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

waterluver

3/7/11
A good lume will last almost thru the night allowing you to see the time without turning on a light and to be honest with you it's cool but not everyone wears their watches to bed so to them it's not a big deal...to other that do it is

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
What's cooler than lume?

IMG_0187R.jpg

DeeKa

Known Member
26/2/12
On the new models the lube should be close to the gen.

What I can't figure out is, why the people like to have vintage reps with T-dials and superlume them...
If I have gen T-dials of 30 years I just see a faint glow, so all I would expect of a good vintage rep is to match tritium glow as close as possible ;)

Dee

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Plenty of threads already on this topic. Try searching my friend. :)

wossobama

Known Member
17/1/11
Your lume really lasts right through the night? Really?

My PAM111 also has a great lume - not as good as the one pictured - but I dont see the need to have it any brighter.

I think too good a lume is a bit of a tell.

Plenty of threads already on this topic. Try searching my friend. :)

I have done that and read with interest. I was looking for current opinions though, not something a historic thread will give you.

Duke1973

14/9/11
The lume on the gens are generally really good, well on the Rollies and Pams anyway. What we have done when we get them relumed just brings them up to the normal gen brightness.

Also, there is no such thing as "reasonable" lume on rep watch. There is either normal lume or superlume. the superlume is actually pretty good on my SD but still not totally gen like. The "regular" rep lume you speak of is utter crap and nothing more than glow tape put on the markers. It will glow for all of 30 seconds after the light source is removed and a faint glow for maybe 10 to 20 minutes after that! Unacceptable to anyone who wants to be able to read the time after dark....

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
On the new models the lube should be close to the gen.

What I can't figure out is, why the people like to have vintage reps with T-dials and superlume them...
If I have gen T-dials of 30 years I just see a faint glow, so all I would expect of a good vintage rep is to match tritium glow as close as possible ;)

Dee

Authentic lume? Interesting.

I have a dive watch from the 60s that probably had tritium paint applied to it. Since it's pretty faint now I am thinking of having it relumed with C3 or something modern. It's just a hand-crank Waltham, so restoring it in that way is of no consequence other than to make it appealing to me (as the original owner.)

phillycheez

6/6/09
Functionality.

Plus it looks sweet when you walk into the house, car, shade on a sunny day and look down at a completely different looking watch.

I really want to try tritium... Never turns off. Just dies of old age.

With regards to T dials with luminova... Rolex did it in 98 to 99. They are called transition dials. I love them!

DeeKa

Known Member
26/2/12
Authentic lume? Interesting.

I have a dive watch from the 60s that probably had tritium paint applied to it. Since it's pretty faint now I am thinking of having it relumed with C3 or something modern. It's just a hand-crank Waltham, so restoring it in that way is of no consequence other than to make it appealing to me (as the original owner.)

For me and other collectors it will lower the value as replacing an original tritium dial with a luminova dial.
As your watch is an 60s gen diverswatch, the collectors value is present and will decrease as soon as you apply any new lume!
This is a fact independend of the make and in effect differing from make to make - $10 to $100k

Dee

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
For me and other collectors it will lower the value as replacing an original tritium dial with a luminova dial.
As your watch is an 60s gen diverswatch, the collectors value is present and will decrease as soon as you apply any new lume!
This is a fact independend of the make and in effect differing from make to make - $10 to $100k

Dee

Yeah, $10 is probably close to what it's worth. :lol:

I'd never sell it anyway.

P1040034.jpg

DeeKa

Known Member
26/2/12
Oh, a rare red date Waltham :)
That changes ever given figure...

Dee

kendog870

30/6/09
A good lume gets attention. Even when you walk into a into a semi dark room. Says, "look at me, a worthy watch".

wossobama

Known Member
17/1/11
Worthy watch, rather than "that guy's got a kiddies glow in the dark watch on!"?