• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is a sapphire crystal a must?

fastlaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/7/09
I have a watch with a mineral crystal that has a white face and the scratches don't show that much. I'm about to order my first 2 reps, both with black faces. Should I pony up for the sapphire? I have a feeling that the mineral crystal is going to look like an ice rink after a hockey game in a few months!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
It depends on the watch model that you are going to get, to me, get the sapphire model as long as it's available. The clarity of the dial will be better under sapphire glass too.

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
It depends on what watch you bought, mate. I am with fakes here, sapphire is not necessarily the best choice altho its quality sure is superior. Some watches will either go with plexy or suck ass. Check the gen too, if you want it to be a good rep.
Good luck

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
It depends on the watch model that you are going to get, to me, get the sapphire model as long as it's available. The clarity of the dial will be better under sapphire glass too.

+1

I think you'll find that modern dive watches feature sapphire because it allows for better viewing of the dial. But plexi is popular for working dive watch crystals since it's cheaper to replace!. I prefer sapphire. To each his own.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
for me, if the gen is sapphire... then it has to be sapphire..

Remember when the dealer stated synthetic sapphire, it means mineral...

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
From the technical side:

a saphir crystal have a lot higher refraction index of light, that is a fact.

So i can not agree that you see the dial clearer.

The only advantage to mineral glasses is the scratch resistance and the

proximity to the gen, if the gen have sapphir.

My 2cents:
I vote for hardened mineral.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Exactly why I like them. Much less reflection. Especially on flat crystals.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Nowadays with AR coatings then the advantage is even more on sapphire or not?

I would rather have it in plexi than mineral crystal. It just looks very dull on mineral.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

....as everybody pointed out. It depends on which watch you´re planning to get.
If the GEN has Sapphire, so go for it.

But IMO, Sapphire is a must, just for the ability to keep my mind free of concerns with scratches.
I have a 16yo watch, old beater with Sapphire, that doesn´t have a single nick or scratch, and I´ve beaten it to hell through all these years.
I don´t even consider getting a watch with mineral nowadays, but that´s just me.

Cheers,
Spirit.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Sapphire is a must for me if I have the choice. For me, it just adds a bit extra to the watch if that makes any sense. I'm not too hard on my watches, so scratches really aren't a concern, but I like the clarity and solid feel of a sapphire crystal as opposed to mineral. I sold a bought a Milgauss from a member then turned around and immediately sold it because of the mineral crystal. I then bought one with a sapphire crystal and better case/bracelet. It was worth the extra $20, IMO. To each their own. :)

fastlaw

1/7/09
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on getting an Omega PO and a Panerai 299 or 050 (these are basically autos on bracelets with no complications). The Panerai will probably be $100 more to go from a 21j movement with mineral to a 7750 movement with sapphire. I'm not sure if it's worth it. What do you guys think?

The Omega is also $100 more to go from the 21j model to the ETA clone with sapphire. Again, not sure if it's worth it...

nielest

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/11/09
def sapphire is a must, even in production settings they fetch a higher price and are kind of the industry standard, of course this is dependent on the models u are looking for..

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
the differences between the 21j PO and the UPO is greater than just the crystal. the UPO is a more accurate representation of the gen in terms of appearance and movement. im not very familiar with the pams but i'd assume it is the same story comparing the 21j to the 7750 model.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Not always!! >>

the differences between the 21j PO and the UPO is greater than just the crystal. the UPO is a more accurate representation of the gen in terms of appearance and movement. im not very familiar with the pams but i'd assume it is the same story comparing the 21j to the 7750 model.
Often, only the movement varies...I have a beautiful example of an Arktos for instance that runs great for over18 months now, that is identical to the 7750, for @ 1/2 the price!!
And if it ever breaks, I can replace the movement for @ $15.00!!

fastlaw

1/7/09
I'm thinking the Panerais would be better with a sapphire since the crystal isn't flush and thus more vulnerable to scratches, but I would be wrong.

Fizbin

6/11/09
for me, if the gen is sapphire... then it has to be sapphire..

I agree. I mean it doesn't NEED to have a sapphire but if the gen has it, then yes!