• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

40 Years..Where did they go?

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Today marks the 40th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin. Being Our Zep Aficionado, I felt the need to lament a bit. I listened to Carol Miller (Famous NY Rock DJ) on the way home tonight while she played a full hour of get the Led out which will run all year on Q104.3 in celebration of Led Zeppelin. What stands out the most, while she reviewed Zep I was, to this day, the music stands the test of time. 36 hr's in the studio to create that album. An extraordinary feat by and extraordinary band. John Bonhan, John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, and the bands Creator, Jimmy Page...I Salute you. 40 years, where did they go?
Pics and pic comments courtesy of FBO and myself. :D
The Grand White Wizard as we know him today. Is he done? Will he weave his magik on us ever again?
It might get loud...
jimmyjapan-1.jpg

jimmy-page-colour114-2.jpg

The magic email...If you got one of these, you were one of the lucky 30,000.00 out of 100 million who tried. You know I got mine mother truckers!
email.jpg

The return...
ledzep02.jpg

rollingstonecover.jpg

Jimmy-up.jpg

jimmyTSRTS02.jpg

The son retains the name...
led-zeppelin-colour13.jpg

JimmyPage1971.jpg

6pzquzr.jpg

url]
tujftkjfykguksigning.jpg

1977-06-27_LA_12_IMTOD.jpg

Young band pics...
TheNewYardbirds1968.jpg

lz-2.jpg

Could you imagine if they played small places like this again ?
LedZeppelinNewcastleUniversity1970.jpg

ny_jan69g.jpg

LedZeppelinNewcastleUniversity19702.jpg

This one stumps me...a young Jimmy but with who? where? what? when?
5zfqzvo.jpg

Dancing Days!!
OaklandColiseum2byDennisCalla-1.jpg
1977OaklandDancer.jpg

OaklandColiseumPage1977byDennisCall.jpg

sleeping Jimmy
sleepingjimmy.jpg

Dining Jimmy
JP_Japan_1971-02.jpg

"Well you see, when I put them in the wash they were white..."
JP_Swan_Song_Office_London_by_Barry.jpg

mmmm smooth smoking satisfaction...
j120.jpg

jimmypage-2.jpg

Kisses for you
1983-12-05_LA_01.jpg

"When you learn the friggin words give me a call.."
CR-1a.jpg

soundcheck...
1975-01-17_Minn_06_Soundcheck-1.jpg

Ooooh, my head!
104515_large.jpg

BATH?!?!?!
jp1970k-1.jpg

Central Park?
69_centralpark-2.jpg

interview...?
28.jpg

Looks like Gerrard St no ?
23.jpg

Just plain cool Jimmy
bridgesolstudiocookhamberksthames.jpg

14002_large-1.jpg
189036116_5_z5-M.jpg

PN004400-1.jpg

PN005222.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

pic11.jpg

Good Night!
lrg_kneb_bw.jpg

Lets not forget Peter Grant. He would have said this....
Peter.jpg

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I've got some old LZ BBC recordings.. dont know if you have them in your collection but I'd be happy to share..

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Thank you Greg. Yeah, I have them...There is not much I don't have, as I have collected boots and live recordings of all kinds for about 20 yrs now, and have belonged to a trading club for about that amount of time. My holy Grail was achieved about 8 yrs ago when someone made a boo boo and dumped a set of Master recordings that were stolen from Jimmy Page's home, which in turn where given back to their rightful owner. it was the thrill of a lifetime for me. :D
Here is an interview with Rush you may get a kick out of....
[youtube:d4t2ggjz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRpYxkLWqY&eurl=http://jimmypageonlinemessageboard.yuku.com/topic/2326[/youtube:d4t2ggjz]

iwc101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/08
As a HUGE music fan, I really appreciated this thread! [smilie=hello2.gif] Though I'm not a big fan of Zeppelin's work (more in to electronic music and I personally collect everything with Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode), they're for sure one of the most influential bands in the history of modern music. So they deserve all the respect in the world!!

Great pics by the way. :D

Rock on!

Cheers

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Thank you dude. I never thought the band would have public endorsement or commercial success, which today it does enjoy. They snubbed any critics by refusing a 500 million dollar offer to tour again, so they are far from a sellout, which makes me proud in some ways. I do admit, I got a huge kick out of the Verizon ad's when they ran.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
A few things from my collection...
The Stairway 25th Anniversary set contained a popup with a vinyl single and a cd single of Stairway. Not sold to the public, distributed only for industry use. They sell for about 100 a pop on Ebay if you can find them and they are opened. I have 20 sealed sets. The little box set known as The 10 Legendary Singles. Printed in New Zealand and almost impossible to find the box with the set in decent condition.
000_0672.jpg

000_0671.jpg

000_0670.jpg

000_0669.jpg

000_0665.jpg

000_0664.jpg

2 Originals of Led Zeppelin. printed by Atlantic records. Rarest Factory Vinyl. Pulled from production in Europe (Germany and Yugoslavia only) by Peter Grant as soon as he found out, and copies destroyed in the factory and in store immediately.
000_0656.jpg

000_0657.jpg

000_0661.jpg

000_0660.jpg

I have a Complete set of original Japanese vinyl with OBI's intact. Not Cd's..Vinyl.
000_0653.jpg

Known as the "pink" vinyl printed in the UK...
Purple4.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Rehearsal...

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WoPVBGctY[/AME]

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruzlhMyLr1A[/AME]

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
Do you think when Prince changed his name to a symbol he was inspired by Zep?

Speed-Racer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/10
ABSOLUTE FANTASTIC THREAD !!!!! I saw Zep on their first American tour :) , once more a few years later. Always a fan !!

I Turned 60 last month...........Life is freaky :popcorn:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Do you think when Prince changed his name to a symbol he was inspired by Zep?
It was a dual purpose for Prince. The main objective in changing his name to the symbol was to piss off his record company. Bad contract...And yes, Prince is a huge Zeppelin fan, and while he has never stated it publicly, it's been said he created the symbol to fashion after like Jimmy Page.

ABSOLUTE FANTASTIC THREAD !!!!! I saw Zep on their first American tour :) , once more a few years later. Always a fan !!

I Turned 60 last month...........Life is freaky :popcorn:
Thanks SR...
Holy crap! First US tour! Fantastic! Listen to the rehearsal for the 02 I posted? Unreal how it got leaked...Sounds fantastic IMO.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
That is an awesome collection of Zepplin memorabilia .... The bands from that era were something special, for sure!

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
MrZoSo, very cool, I see some stuff there I owned.
Zeppelin Rocks.:sub4me:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
That is an awesome collection of Zepplin memorabilia .... The bands from that era were something special, for sure!

MrZoSo, very cool, I see some stuff there I owned.
Zeppelin Rocks.:sub4me:
Thanks guys. Just the tip of my collection...It's been boxed up for years now. I need to give it a proper display in the man cave. I figure one day, my kid will be able to buy a house with this crap lol...

discog

Known Member
9/6/11
Zep rules!

I have a lot of their stuff on vinyl as well, but not all that crazy collector stuff. Nice work Mr. ZoSo!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
07 rehearsal
[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoM577Ej9ls&feature=youtu.be[/AME]

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
I'm a Led Zep fan and I've rubbed shoulders with Robert Plant half a dozen times this year at one of the bars inside Wolverhamton F.C.

He's a huge football (soccer) fan and goes to most of the home games. He may well be a rock legend but, at the same time, he's more than happy to muck in with the regular people. No VIP, no heirs and graces, he sits in the stands with people of all walks of life many of which will be on minimum wage.

He has a beer before the game, another at half time and nobody bothers him. Just a regular stand up guy.

Top bloke!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
He's been known to sit in the owners box also...But you're right. He's been spotted more than once at a Denny's and such in America, and willing to chat with whomever comes along.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
ON this day...Jimmy Page
20 Sep 1983
I played the first ARMS concert at the Royal Albert Hall

I played the first ARMS concert at the Royal Albert Hall

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJS4JJnBapA&feature=player_embedded[/AME]
Stew (Ian Stewart from the Rolling Stones) had invited me to do this concert at a party at Jeff Beck's country home. It was to be for Ronnie Lane and the Action Research into Multiple Sclerosis, a condition to which he unfortunately had become a victim.

It had been outlined that the three former Yardbirds would be playing separate sets and maybe play together at the end of the evening. Steve Winwood was also to perform. I agreed enthusiastically to commit to the show, it was only the following day that it dawned on me that I was the only one not to have a solo career with the exception of the Death Wish II soundtrack which made putting a set together for this event an interesting and challenging experience.

The opening number was 'Prelude', a re-arranged Chopin prelude in E Minor, performed specifically to employ the house in-built Victorian pipe organ into the set. It was played magnificently by American James Horner. 'City Sirens' and 'Who's to Blame' from the Death Wish II album had Steve Winwood graciously supplying vocals.

The set culminated in an instrumental version of Stairway to Heaven - the first time I had performed this on my own. Simon Phillips threw me a wink and surprised me with a double bass drum pattern to great effect.