• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

40 Years..Where did they go?

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07

On this day: Jimmy Page

I started tour rehearsals with The Black Crowes

On this day in 1999 I started the production rehearsals for "In Concert and By Your Side" with The Black Crowes. This was eventually recorded at The Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, unfortunately a re-recording clause kept us from including the Black Crowes material on the CD album. This was a shame as it had come out really well. The tour itinerary also shows the NetAid concert: a pioneering, innovative charity concert to be available on the internet.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzWCxZDFCic"]Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes - (10/23) ten years gone.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

tumblr_lsiistcLFI1qmle2j

tumblr_lsiistcLFI1qmle2j

tumblr_lsiistcLFI1qmle2j

tumblr_lsiistcLFI1qmle2j

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Jimmy in Pattaya

Jimmy in Pattaya with some "friends"
Pattaya1.jpg

Teeth whitening endorsement James?

Pattaya2.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
On this day… 06 Oct 1976
The Hong Kong trip was 1972 not 1976
rant.gif

I visited Hong Kong

On this day in 1976 the members of Led Zeppelin and manager Peter Grant flew from Japan to Hong Kong to meet businessman and newspaper owner Andrew Yu, who was hoping to promote a concert there. During the day time, we went out in a launch to view the recently scuppered ocean liner Queen Elizabeth. These are some photographs and a video that I took at the time. On the return journey, the launch started to take in water and it was rising in the boat. We barely made it back to the quayside. In the evening I went out in a sampan into the harbour without the members of the group to savour some local floating cuisine.
tumblr_lsm8gq0hZb1qmle2j

tumblr_lsm8gq0hZb1qmle2jo2_250.jpg

tumblr_lsm8gq0hZb1qmle2j

tumblr_lsm8gq0hZb1qmle2j

tumblr_lsm8gq0hZb1qmle2j

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
07 Oct 1966
I played on 'Time Drags By' and 'La La La Song' by Cliff Richard

Today sees the release of 'Time Drags By' by Cliff Richard. I had been booked to play harmonica on a session at EMI Studio Number Two and discovered that it was for Cliff Richard. The song had been written by the Shadows guitarists Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch, who were there with drummer Brian Bennett and Cliff. They were super gracious and encouraging and it was a pleasure to have worked with some of the UK music aristocracy. This song was later to feature in the film 'Finders Keepers'. In 1959 I played one support spot whilst in 'Neil Christian and the Crusaders' for Cliff and the Shadows at Edmonton Odeon. I was still at school and I couldn't really talk to the other kids about this so I kept it to myself. In 1981, in the same studio on the same day, I was overdubbing the orchestra on the Death Wish II project.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9ARUH9DVU"]Cliff Richard CARTOON - "Time Drags By" - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
08 Oct 1999
I played the soundcheck for NetAid at the Giants Stadium in New Jersey

Today in 1999 I played at the soundcheck for NetAid at the Giants Stadium, in preparation for the show the next day. With Michael Lee on drums and Guy Pratt on bass, we were joined as an instrumental trio by The Black Crowes heavyweights Chris Robinson on vocals and Rich Robinson on guitar.

* May spoil tomorrow but...Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page Oct. 9th 1999
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoSWnQlKvE&feature=related"]Jimmy Page - COME WITH ME / DAZED AND CONFUSED (NetAid 09.Oct.1999) - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Great pic of Dave Badwin...He is a huge Zeppelin fan...Has a John Bonham Tat also.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
And sure enough...

09 OCT 1999
I PLAYED NETAID WITH PUFF DADDY
I had been invited to appear at NetAid with Sean Combs - P Diddy - and to perform a short solo set of my own later in the programme at the historic Giants Stadium in New Jersey. NetAid was an ambitious project way in advance of its time with its concept. The charity was an anti-poverty initiative and funds would be generated by the concert via the internet. I was told later the site was so overloaded it apparently crashed. We could see from Diddy’s performance just what an amazing concert this certainly was. In 2007 NetAid became part of global aid agency Mercy Corps.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoSWnQlKvE&feature=player_embedded"]Jimmy Page - COME WITH ME / DAZED AND CONFUSED (NetAid 09.Oct.1999) - YouTube[/ame]#!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
On this day… 10 Oct 1969

On this day… 10 Oct 1969
I played the Paris Olympia with Led Zeppelin

tumblr_lstmw0eKez1qmle2j

On this day in 1969, I played with Led Zeppelin at the Paris Olympia for a show called Musicorama that would be recorded and broadcast on RTL / Europe 1 (French radio). The setlist was:
- Communication Breakdown
- I Can't Quit You Baby
- Heartbreaker
- Dazed And Confused
- White Summer / Black Mountain Side
- You Shook Me
- How Many More Times
This is an interesting selection considering Led Zeppelin II was to be released in less than two weeks and only included Heartbreaker from the forthcoming album.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsLNsKivfI"]Led Zeppelin [HD] - Communication Breakdown - Dazed and confused - Check sound (live in Paris 1969) - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
tumblr_lsvhao6nYV1qmle2jo1_1280.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1Bh7rZrog"]Kashmir - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant HD (No Quarter 1994) - YouTube[/ame]

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
12 Oct 1999
I played the Roseland Ballroom with The Black Crowes

This is the first of three days with The Black Crowes at the Roseland Ballroom in New York, following a few days' rehearsals. At this point, recording at The Greek Theatre in LA hadn't been discussed. We had first played together at the Cafe de Paris in London in the June of this year and their manager, Pete Angelus, had suggested it might be cool to reciprocate. So I did, and here we were at the first concert of a few in New York, Boston and LA.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjMitJ0MQ4"]JiMMy PaGe / BLaCK CRoWeS "WanToN SonG" Jay Leno Tonight Show - YouTube[/ame]

tumblr_lsxc8yJriz1qmle2j

tumblr_lsxc8yJriz1qmle2j

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
13 Oct 1995
I PLAYED THE UNITED CENTER IN CHICAGO WITH ROBERT PLANT
One of the high points of the Unledded tour was that we would combine with an orchestra in each major city and at this concert we had members from the Chicago Symphony, considered to be the best classical orchestra at that time. That evening the Chicago Bulls had won an historic victory and Dennis Rodman came to the concert after the game. We invited him onto the stage and the audience was ecstatic. There was an alternative setlist available for this night, which wasn’t used. I thought this would be interesting to include for people to see how we were thinking at that time.
tumblr_lsz6v20MQK1qmle2jo4_500.jpg

tumblr_lsz6v20MQK1qmle2j

tumblr_lsz6ohGsot1qmle2jo1_1280.png

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
13 Oct 1995
I PLAYED THE UNITED CENTER IN CHICAGO WITH ROBERT PLANT
One of the high points of the Unledded tour was that we would combine with an orchestra in each major city and at this concert we had members from the Chicago Symphony, considered to be the best classical orchestra at that time. That evening the Chicago Bulls had won an historic victory and Dennis Rodman came to the concert after the game. We invited him onto the stage and the audience was ecstatic. There was an alternative setlist available for this night, which wasn’t used. I thought this would be interesting to include for people to see how we were thinking at that time.
tumblr_lsz6v20MQK1qmle2jo4_500.jpg

tumblr_lsz6v20MQK1qmle2j

tumblr_lsz6ohGsot1qmle2jo1_1280.png

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Led Zep's Jimmy Page bio

jimmy-page.jpg

Led Zep's Jimmy Page bio to Virgin

13.10.11 | Charlotte Williams
Virgin Books will be rocking out with a new biography of Led Zeppelin lead guitarist Jimmy Page after acquiring the title in a joint deal with Crown Publishers in the US.
Publishing director Ed Faulkner bought UK and Commonwealth rights from Linda Kaplan at Crown Publishers in New York to Light & Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page.
Written by editor-in-chief of Guitar World magazine, Brad Tolinski, it draws on more than 50 hours of conversation with Page.
The book touches on the '60s music scene and Page's early years through his time with Led Zep. Songs covered include "How Many More Times", "Going to California" and "Stairway to Heaven".
Faulkner said: "Jimmy Page is a music legend. Light & Shade will undoubtedly be considered the closest thing Led Zeppelin fans will ever get to a published autobiography, making it an essential read." Virgin Books will publish in hardback in October 2011.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
tumblr_lt1428y9q61qmle2jo1_1280.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBOPp9K3Zg"]Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - No Quarter - Live - YouTube[/ame]

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Yeahhh......

jimmy-page.jpg

Jimmy's skill with a guitar has never been in question. Re-watching these clips though remind me just how legendary the guy truly is!

In the 1970s, there was no bigger rock group in the world than Led Zeppelin and no greater god on six strings than Zeppelin's founder-captain Jimmy Page. Nothing much has changed. The imperial weight, technical authority and exotic reach of Page's writing and playing on Zeppelin's eight studio albums have lost none of their power: the rusted, slow-death groan of Page's solo, played with a violin bow, in "Dazed and Confused," on Zeppelin's 1969 debut; the circular, cast-iron stammer of his riffing on "Black Dog," on the band's fourth LP; the melodic momentum and chrome-spear tone of his closing solo in Zeppelin's most popular song, "Stairway to Heaven." Page actually built Zeppelin's sound and might from a wide palette of inspirations and previous experience. In the early and mid-1960s, Page was a first-call studio musician in London, playing on Kinks and Everly Brothers dates and honing his production skills on singles for John Mayall and future Velvet Underground vocalist Nico. And before forming Zeppelin in London in the late summer of 1968 with singer Robert Plant, drummer John Bonham and bassist John Paul Jones, Page had been the lead guitarist in the final lineup of the Yardbirds. (Rolling Stone)

Great work Zo.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Thanks Badwin. Nice quote from Rolling Stone...You know it's funny...RS tried in vein to kill Zeppelin in the beginning...Lester Bangs considered himself a bit of a purest, and really did not like Led Zeppelin...At first. Needless to say the final review of the final chapter in Led Zeppelin's history (02 reunion show 2007) was the most powerful statement may by the biggest music media print of our time...And it went a lil something like this...

..." The only message they left behind was, "We were the best — and still are."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/b...te-the-full-report-from-david-fricke-20071211

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
tumblr_lt2vzy2II01qmle2jo1_1280.png

Page & Plant live in Paris 1998...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUhsA6EAQvQ"]Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, live in Paris (1998) - YouTube[/ame]

tumblr_lt2w1kDjxD1qmle2jo3_400.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
JPBCMAIN.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm4OMdw-zcE"]Playing with Jimmy Page (1995, 1999-2000) - YouTube[/ame]