• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How the %@*&+ Do You Do It? (Frustrated!)

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

Hey, gang! Please, be my strawman while I rage and whine... .

Just how the Hell do you guys do it??? Mod your watches!!?? Where did you get your skills??!! For the second time, I tried to install a bezel insert on my Rolex Sub "T" (forgot model #); and, once again, after a half-hour or so of trying various techniques and cursing (with well-chosen words), I gave up before I damaged it & will take it to my family jeweler who works on my reps. I feel so damned incompetent!!! Any advice? (I'm now going to go get a cold one and pout and stew for a while, then cruise the Forums... .) :facepalm:

dave

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I feel you. I've done the same thing. Hence why I leave it to the pros. I'm fairly mechanically inclined. But when it comes to watches , I am FAIL

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Hey, gang! Please, be my strawman while I rage and whine... .

Just how the Hell do you guys do it??? Mod your watches!!?? Where did you get your skills??!! For the second time, I tried to install a bezel insert on my Rolex Sub "T" (forgot model #); and, once again, after a half-hour or so of trying various techniques and cursing (with well-chosen words), I gave up before I damaged it & will take it to my family jeweler who works on my reps. I feel so damned incompetent!!! Any advice? (I'm now going to go get a cold one and pout and stew for a while, then cruise the Forums... .) :facepalm:

dave
Hi Dave,
Simple answer, I don't...:biglaugh:
Some are more talented than others. Not my thing. Different strokes, for different folks!
Peace brother.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I know the feeling, Dave.

Sadly, I discovered that I, too, am ill suited to mod watches.

Anybody want to buy some tools?

:biglaugh:

No, seriously. Hand setting gizmos, a movement holder thingamajig; that kinda stuff. It'll never see the light of day in my desk drawer!

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
I tried for hours to 'pop' the bezel off, scratched the watched n screwed up the rotation. No idea how that bit works.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I feel you. I've done the same thing. Hence why I leave it to the pros. I'm fairly mechanically inclined. But when it comes to watches , I am FAIL

I'll second that. I can do things like oil and fluid changes and detailing the cars, but I can really only take apart junk watches. Forget putting them back together. At least I can open cases and do bracelets and batteries. I have a decent assortment of tools I got over the years and I work extremely gradually--as in maybe one day in 20 or 30 years I might be able to complete a modded watch or assemble a movement LOL! Never did take any classes though, maybe one day I will.

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
After nearly ruining a Swiss Movement (rescued by Katt) and destroying a 21j movement
I will no longer open a watch case, I tried but dont have "it"...Not a fail because I tried..

A man has got to know his limitations

investinwaffles

Renowned Member
16/6/11
I consider myself very competent when it comes to intricate things (computers, motors, airplanes), but even I stick to strap changes and basic polishing :lol:

EVERYTHING in a watch is too ******* small for me to maintain patience when im working on them :p

alpina

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/10
I love it ! I love it....I am not the only one who can't handle those fidly widly bits! & end up flinging something ot the window or against a wall.

Ya I know..'widly' see I'm loosing it

dallas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/11
Buy a hand full of 21j movements online. They are very cheap. After you have ruined them, buy another lot. You will probable be able to take them apart and reassemble while loosing only a few screws. Then you are ready for ETAs.

Ask me how I know:biglaugh: I tried a 2892 too soon and had to buy another balance wheel. Man those springs are thin. I got frustrated and broke it. And it was a certified chronometer too.:lolcina:

I send my Omega Seamaster movement off. Don't feel like messing it up. There is a large time investment in learning and money investment in tools and books.

I will be trying to start a screw and have to remind myself that I do this for fun. Just keep plugging along. If you learn by your mistakes, I am Einstein.

I consider myself very competent when it comes to intricate things (computers, motors, airplanes), but even I stick to strap changes and basic polishing :lol:

EVERYTHING in a watch is too ******* small for me to maintain patience when im working on them :p

I use surgical loops and a surgical scope and they are still too little. I love working on big pocket watches.

D

d4m.test

...I am humbled by your empathies and understandings. I DO try stuff; I AM somewhat mechanically inclined & love learning new stuff; Watches, geeze!! I'm in good company! Thanks, mateys!!

dave
(Now with a slight buzz because of the cold ones... .)

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I can fell your pain bbphrog. I am a watch repair idiot. Furthermore, just in case I forget that I am a watch repair idiot, I keep a bowl full of watches I have tried to repair and/or mod. I have over 10 in there... from now on, it is to the repairman for me.

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
dallas not to steal thread but where can I actually get some 21j spares? That is exactly what I wanted to do - practice on those and then get 2892 for some vintage Sub builds... feel free to tell me to "use the search button" but unfortunately 21j is a pretty common term @_@

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
i was trained on cameras. so you NEVER!!!! force anything. i tore the bezel off a 21j sub to get at the insert and for fun. i used a can opener and lots of force. all was well. the inside of a watch? i don't know man... that stuff is really small. i'm not. i may try for fun later on. if it was a watch i liked i wouldn't touch anything inside :)

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
As many times as I've been tempted to try to make some small repairs I just know I don't have the patience to work on these so I just send them out.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I will have to say it really takes some "itty bitty peter beaters" to repair watches!!! :D

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Dave, I feel your pain. All I can say is - stick with it. The learning curve is 2 phased - you'll ruin a few, but keep practicing and it'll get easier. Then you'll notice things start to click and become almost intuitive. And the number of things you're comfortable with doing will increase dramatically.

I ruined a BUNCH of 21J junkers getting the feel of things. Several dials removing and placing hands, cases removing and tinkering with pushers, bezels, inserts, etc., and crytals galore.

Go over the tutorials again and again. Something else that helped - working on the same watch over and over again - getting to know it like the back of your hand. Even if it's broken, you can still use it to pull things apart and put them together.

I am no expert, by any stretch. My more expensive stuff still goes to G. But it's fun to tinker, and very rewarding in it's own right.

If you need some pieces for practice, let me know - I have a few spares.

Will