• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How the %@*&+ Do You Do It? (Frustrated!)

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
dallas not to steal thread but where can I actually get some 21j spares? That is exactly what I wanted to do - practice on those and then get 2892 for some vintage Sub builds... feel free to tell me to "use the search button" but unfortunately 21j is a pretty common term @_@

Jackson has 21j movement for like $30 shipped.

mm093photo1.jpg

HPoirot

31/3/11
I'm with you there. These things are just beyond me. Of all my tools, the only ones i use nowadays are my springbar tools and screwdriver to change my straps.

Pity though, 'cause i really like tinkering with watches. It's what got me into mechanical watches in the first place. But perhaps i shall try it out on some 21j. Thanks to whoever suggested that!

Tysodrum

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
21/8/10
Oh man...I totally feel your pain man...Done it, too!

Not to hijack but in the same vain, has anyone out there tried modding their watches to make them look old/vintage with any success or is that the same ruining experience? I've been looking for DIY's but I can't find em all...any good ones out there?

Good luck B!

dallas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/11
Oh man...I totally feel your pain man...Done it, too!

Not to hijack but in the same vain, has anyone out there tried modding their watches to make them look old/vintage with any success or is that the same ruining experience? I've been looking for DIY's but I can't find em all...any good ones out there?

Good luck B!

After you shape the CGs and what not, wear it while you work on something like your car or lawnmower. Bumping it around on metal while working makes it look real not fake. At least that works for me.
Even my gen watches look vintage after that.:biglaugh:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
The trick is to break lots of cheap ones before you succeed, then move on to more expensive ones to break :p

D

d4m.test

...apparently, we're all on our way in doing just that!!

dave
:biglaugh:

The trick is to break lots of cheap ones before you succeed, then move on to more expensive ones to break :p

dburghardt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/10
I spent so much time trying to answer this question and realized that the more time you spend the better off you will be. Aside from time you need to comitt. Buy movements from Ebay to work on. Get prepared to buy all the tools, cleaners, extractors, binocular dissection scope would be nice... Take the online courses. Or don't spend the $ & time and find someone who will. Kinda life Golf. I will always suck at it because I can't invest the time until I retire.