• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Girard Perregaux, any fans out there?

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I am not aware of any Girard Perregaux model being repped by a quality factory (or any at all to be honest but I haven't gone looking either). Skeleton ceramic would be a bridge too far ( get what I did there :ROFLMAO: ? )
The funny thing is, I only know of ONE GP rep. And it's their fucking tourbillion 🤣

Reaps

-
25/9/22
The funny thing is, I only know of ONE GP rep. And it's their fucking tourbillion 🤣
Like, of all the GP models to rep, the Chinese factory decided to re the diamond encrusted tourbillion? Speaks to what local market tastes are like ....

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
That is NOT a GP tourbillon. This is what a GP Laureato tourbillon looks like, with the signature bridge. Kind of a giveaway when its missing

Reactions: Reaps

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Like, of all the GP models to rep, the Chinese factory decided to re the diamond encrusted tourbillion? Speaks to what local market tastes are like ....
You would think if they can stick a tourbillon in there, they could jist make a standard Laureato without it. Why go to the trouble of signposting it's not genuine?

Reaps

-
25/9/22
That is NOT a GP tourbillon. This is what a GP Laureato tourbillon looks like, with the signature bridge. Kind of a giveaway when its missing

Thanks. Learn something new about brands everyday.

I did say it was a rep, I didn't say it was a good one 😅🤣

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Awesome really !

IS this model called the Vintage 1945 ? BEautiful,m look at those hands, and that date....high end horology !
Vintage 1945 with the limited edition onyx dial . One of 88. Curved caseback in both directions to really hug the wrist. Instant change grande date with a 0.1mm difference in disk height to look perfectly even to the eye. Amazing watch, and indeed haute horlogerie

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

mostlyreps

Horology Curious
11/12/20
It's here and AWESOME !!!

The moonphase looks incredible on that Infinity Edition; that's a very special piece.

After seeing all the posts here this afternoon, I was inspired to dig mine out as well. It's maybe a little bit more pedestrian than the other examples in this thread, but still a very cool watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yacht-Monster

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
The moonphase looks incredible on that Infinity Edition; that's a very special piece.

After seeing all the posts here this afternoon, I was inspired to dig mine out as well. It's maybe a little bit more pedestrian than the other examples in this thread, but still a very cool watch.

Pedestrian in the context of GP is relative - might be compared to the Infinity but then again so is almost anything else. Otherwise, there's NOTHING pedestrian about any GP. It is an undisputed haute horlogerie house. Fun fact - the SIHH white paper on haute horlogerie brands has 28 brands identified as such. GP is one of them. The shock...... PP is in the next tier down as Fine Watchmaking

Reactions: mostlyreps

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
The wwtc financial is my one and only obtainable Gratil watch lol.

mostlyreps

Horology Curious
11/12/20
Pedestrian in the context of GP is relative - might be compared to the Infinity but then again so is almost anything else. Otherwise, there's NOTHING pedestrian about any GP. It is an undisputed haute horlogerie house. Fun fact - the SIHH white paper on haute horlogerie brands has 28 brands identified as such. GP is one of them. The shock...... PP is in the next tier down as Fine Watchmaking

What's your take on vintage GP watches? I have a bit of a soft spot for the brand and am sometimes tempted by some of their vintage pieces on the secondhand market. Do you think that stuff like this is worth collecting or should I spend my energy on the more recent "neo-vintage" models?

If this were any other brand on the haute horology/fine horology list, it would be impossible to find a solid 14K piece with original papers and inner/outer box for $400 USD. And yet, with Girard-Perregeaux, these kinds of things show up fairly regularly.

There's so much to learn about a brand that's been around since 1791 but, surprisingly, it's kind of difficult to find great sources of information about that history.

Reactions: Gaspacho

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
What's your take on vintage GP watches? I have a bit of a soft spot for the brand and am sometimes tempted by some of their vintage pieces on the secondhand market. Do you think that stuff like this is worth collecting or should I spend my energy on the more recent "neo-vintage" models?

If this were any other brand on the haute horology/fine horology list, it would be impossible to find a solid 14K piece with original papers and inner/outer box for $400 USD. And yet, with Girard-Perregeaux, these kinds of things show up fairly regularly.

There's so much to learn about a brand that's been around since 1791 but, surprisingly, it's kind of difficult to find great sources of information about that history.
my heart just stopped.
this is gorgeous

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia

Vintage stuff is also great and sells for pennies in the dollar. Bought my wife a NOS compressor diver with a 31mm case, which she didn't particularly like, so I traded it for something else. The dealer that bought it still has it after about 3 or 4 years. Conversely, I also had a Gyrodate that was really cool but too small for me, and that sold really quickly. The HF 39j Gyromatic is an important piece of watch history and came in a huge range including some gorgeous formal options, most of which are still available for cheap and in great physical condition although the movements would almost certainly need a complete overhaul.

mostlyreps

Horology Curious
11/12/20
Vintage stuff is also great and sells for pennies in the dollar. Bought my wife a NOS compressor diver with a 31mm case, which she didn't particularly like, so I traded it for something else. The dealer that bought it still has it after about 3 or 4 years. Conversely, I also had a Gyrodate that was really cool but too small for me, and that sold really quickly. The HF 39j Gyromatic is an important piece of watch history and came in a huge range including some gorgeous formal options, most of which are still available for cheap and in great physical condition although the movements would almost certainly need a complete overhaul.

I'm going to have to do some research on that high frequency movement; I wasn't aware of it before and it sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd be into. Fortunately, I prefer watches in the 34-36mm range, so these niche vintage movements are always great for me to learn about.

I would be shocked if the 14K Gyromatic I have was serviced more than once or twice since 1965. It runs, but the movement feels a little...gummy. Definitely need to have a complete service done before I put it into the rotation.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I'm going to have to do some research on that high frequency movement; I wasn't aware of it before and it sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd be into. Fortunately, I prefer watches in the 34-36mm range, so these niche vintage movements are always great for me to learn about.

I would be shocked if the 14K Gyromatic I have was serviced more than once or twice since 1965. It runs, but the movement feels a little...gummy. Definitely need to have a complete service done before I put it into the rotation.
Here's an idea

Check out Vtg Girard Perregaux Chronometer HF Gyro Date 39 Jewels Gyromatic #YB-1-T-2 on eBay!

mostlyreps

Horology Curious
11/12/20
That one is very cool; reaffirms my belief that GP makes interesting watches like nobody else. Unfortunately, I have a fairly significant home landscaping project coming up and have put myself on a watch hiatus until that's complete.

I'm tempted by this one, too, just because the caseback engraving is so dang cute. This watch needs a good home (If someone here buys it, post in this thread so I know it's gone to one)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225482220197

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I have just one more GP to buy and it's a Sea Hawk III although I feel like the Linde Werdelin is a perfectly fine replacement in the GP line of the watch box so I haven't pulled the trigger.