• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Whisky recommendations?

jeffm1000

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/6/23
USA
Japanese with a slice of orange, smoke top with your favorite wood chips. Perfection.

Reactions: pam63C

Blackieray

Flâneur
Supporter
Certified
11/12/21
Near the Atlantic
Good Morning RWI-Members,

title basically says it all. I habe no prefference, so send in Bourbon or Scotch recommendations as you like. Also since I really want to try some Japanese Whisky, I'm stoked what you can recommend there.
I've developed a taste for Teeling. In fact visited their stills in Dublin to make sure I wouldn't steer anyone wrong. I can vouch for the single malt personally.

Last edited:

Blackieray

Flâneur
Supporter
Certified
11/12/21
Near the Atlantic
@Blackieray , the selection of good Irish stuff in my neck of the woods is limited. This looks good.
I would like to have a taste of the Blackpitts. Teeling is in the Liberties part of Dublin. My understanding is this area, at the time, was outside the city walls. It dates to the 12th century and was exempt from taxes, I guess you could ply your trades more freely there.

Reactions: RDRoss

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
I would like to have a taste of the Blackpitts. Teeling is in the Liberties part of Dublin. My understanding is this area, at the time, was outside the city walls. It dates to the 12th century and was exempt from taxes, I guess you could ply your trades more freely there.
I can still get my hands on the Tyrconnell which is rather nice and the offer up some great options (I rather liked the Madeira cask).

Reactions: Blackieray

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Oban

if you can get hold of it.
It has a slightly salty taste that's just unique
My go to is usually Laphroiag for my smoke content but Oban is nice. I would also recommend PeatMonster if you like peat smoke.

Last edited:

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
Just read more than I know, although - we have a contract with the Buffalo Trace distillery, and a DGM who is a full blown aficionado... I saw that bottle of Old Pappy and remembered a conversation about "Poor man's Pappy".. If you are in the southern US and can get reasonable prices on Woodford Reserve green and red, difference between that and Pappy is the age. Even if this is total BS, everything I've tasted from Buffalo Trace, KY I've savoured, personally. Getting thirsty.

Reactions: soulysax

Blackieray

Flâneur
Supporter
Certified
11/12/21
Near the Atlantic
I can still get my hands on the Tyrconnell which is rather nice and the offer up some great options (I rather liked the Madeira cask).

I want to try a bit of that, it looks good. If the world is ending (and it feels like it) Good whiskey is the only gift we may get.

ticktockteo

Looking Around
29/8/23
I like a scotch whisky from a sherry cask.
Can't go wrong with auchentoshen, reasonably priced good bang for your buck. I'm also a sucker for aberlour 12 years.

PianoDude

Horology Curious
Patron
Certified
9/2/22
London, UK
Red Breast 12yo - fantastic starting point to the Irish fine whiskey - get some nice chocolates for pairing
Lagavulin 16 - my go to dram - amazing with some soft blue cheese like roquefort
Coopers Choice 1984 Family Silver - breath taking 39 year old blend - please get some if you can still find it and thank me later.

• Love
Reactions: Blackieray

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Currently enjoying a couple of fingers of the peatmonster by Compassbox. A rather Smokey and pleasant drink.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
My go-to is the regular Buffalo trace

I think I’ve burnt off enough taste buds by now that they all taste the same.

Also
Wild turkey 101
Crown royal northern harvest

soulysax

Next watch is the last one I swear
Certified
14/9/23
CONUS
Another vote for Buffalo Trace as a good entry. Eagles Rare if I want to move up with some spice. But do love the smoothness of Blanton's

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Gold Blantons or St. Andrew’s are awesome. And with a great bottle design and stories. :)

Reactions: soulysax