• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

sdre1982

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/21
Hi, apologies for bumping this thread, but I have been looking for a Rolex 6542 build, thus far, Jtime/Puretime dont sell the aged ones anymore.

I saw a couple for sale on trustytime but they look too new.

I wonder if it's worth purchasing them then getting someone to aged it? or should I look for a builder to build one for me?

Any builders recommendations?

Much thanks in advance!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hi, apologies for bumping this thread, but I have been looking for a Rolex 6542 build, thus far, Jtime/Puretime dont sell the aged ones anymore.

I wonder if it's worth purchasing them then getting someone to aged it? or should I look for a builder to build one for me?
No need to apologise for the bump - this thread has been running for ages with regular posts, and it still has relevance, as evidenced by your contribution!

If you have time, plenty of money and patience to do the research into what parts to source and where to source them from, then you could get together the parts to send to a modder who will build it. But it's unlikely you'll find anyone who wants to do all the initial parts collection legwork for you. But if you do find someone who sources all the parts as well, please let me know..! ;)

I think the easiest way into a 6542 now would be to buy a BP from Trusty (or my suggestion would be Marvellous Replica) and then send it to someone to get it aged, if you don't feel confident to take that on yourself. Who you could ask can most easily be recommended based on your location.

Reactions: sdre1982

sdre1982

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/21
No need to apologise for the bump - this thread has been running for ages with regular posts, and it still has relevance, as evidenced by your contribution!

If you have time, plenty of money and patience to do the research into what parts to source and where to source them from, then you could get together the parts to send to a modder who will build it. But it's unlikely you'll find anyone who wants to do all the initial parts collection legwork for you. But if you do find someone who sources all the parts as well, please let me know..! ;)

I think the easiest way into a 6542 now would be to buy a BP from Trusty (or my suggestion would be Marvellous Replica) and then send it to someone to get it aged, if you don't feel confident to take that on yourself. Who you could ask can most easily be recommended based on your location.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Definitely looking at getting a BP from trusty or MP then! Thanks again!

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16

I saw a couple for sale on trustytime but they look too new.

Any builders recommendations?

Much thanks in advance!

Depends on how much you want to spend. The Vietnam build blows every factory option out of the water. There is no comparison
When I created this thread ages ago, I hoped that the "budget" [it's still expensive for what you get] option could be a nice middle ground with a few flaws but overall the same feeling
Unfortunately I was wrong and have now got a custom built one

If you have the funds to be asking this question, then there is no doubt in my answer - it's the Vietnam build all the way, every way, every time

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Just getting into the 6542. Just purchased one from Hont. Is there any way to tell if this watch is the same one the majority of this conversation has focused on? It has the 2836 movement.

Have been making my DIY true gilt tropical dials and wanted to make one for my incoming watch. Knowing the measurements of the dial opening would help (which people are saying is 27.7mm).

Here is my latest attempt at a gilt dial for a Tudor 7928

Looks like my only option to making multiple dials is to either buy already printed dials from a TD or make my own own out of brass and have a jeweler do some micro bevels on the date window.

Reactions: lacquered333

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Just getting into the 6542. Just purchased one from Hont. Is there any way to tell if this watch is the same one the majority of this conversation has focused on? It has the 2836 movement.

Have been making my DIY true gilt tropical dials and wanted to make one for my incoming watch. Knowing the measurements of the dial opening would help (which people are saying is 27.7mm).

Here is my latest attempt at a gilt dial for a Tudor 7928

Looks like my only option to making multiple dials is to either buy already printed dials from a TD or make my own own out of brass and have a jeweler do some micro bevels on the date window.
That looks like the BP/cartel case version, I believe it has a 29mm dial seat.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks! Got some advice from a jewelry maker on how to make my own brass blanks and get the date window bevels. Will branch out into that soon.
If you are going to use that case and make a 29mm custom dial, you could find a different DWO for the 2836 first and then make a date window more like a gen has. That rep model you pictured has a date window much wider than it needs to be.

zfXOqj.jpg

zZuDKP.jpg

zZscNJ.jpg

jG0xYi.jpg

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
So if it’s the 29mm dial are there options out there for spare dials with the correct date window? I was always assuming it was tough to find them because of the dial size.
28.5 -29mm is a very common size for AAA rep dials, so they should be plentiful. Just a matter of finding one with the correct date window in the position you want.

Reactions: rangan and KJ2020

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
28.5 -29mm is a very common size for AAA rep dials, so they should be plentiful. Just a matter of finding one with the correct date window in the position you want.

I can make a dial any size I want. I can make a pinion hole. I can make a date window of any dimension. I am thinking I can simply “stamp” in the bevels of the date window with an appropriate size/shape stamp (like a square point). If that’s the case I could crank out your guys 27.7mm dial and any other size one too. Creativity happening here.

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I can make a dial any size I want. I can make a pinion hole. I can make a date window of any dimension. I am thinking I can simply “stamp” in the bevels of the date window with an appropriate size/shape stamp (like a square point). If that’s the case I could crank out your guys 27.7mm dial and any other size one too. Creativity happening here.
so upon further reading this is 100% feasible and jewelers do it. There is something called a square bezel punch that will do the job. Anyone know the dimensions of the date wheel, like what it should be in a perfect world? It will help me either find the right bezel punch or have one crafted.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
so upon further reading this is 100% feasible and jewelers do it. There is something called a square bezel punch that will do the job. Anyone know the dimensions of the date wheel, like what it should be in a perfect world? It will help me either find the right bezel punch or have one crafted.
date wheel or date window?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 i meant date window. I’m assuming there is one size that would work best (not too big. Not too small) regardless of the movement or date wheel font size.

zfEjaK.jpg

I measured some loose dials I have. The measurements are: diameter / date window height / date window width / distance from center hole to left date window edge.

In the pic, top left to bottom right are:

Gen 16713: 27.3 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 7.8
Ruby 1675: 27.3 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 7.8
Random AAA 116710: 27.8 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 7.8
BP 16710: 28.5 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 7.8
Raffles 16613: 29.0 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 7.8
Clean DJ41: 30.75 / 2.0 / 2.8 / 8.8

The date window measurements are from the back of the dial and reflect the actual hole size. No attempt was made to account for dial side bevels or rounded slopes.

So you can see in this sample, all makers have strived to match the gen date window size regardless of dial diameter. This also implies a datewheel and crystal that coincide with the position of the date window. Note that coincidentally the DJ41 date window is in the ETA/DG datewheel native position, so a DWO there would be needed only for Rolex fonts and not left displacement.

I don't have a loose 6542 dial to measure but since you are using a 29mm dial plate for your case and an ETA movement, I would just use the same measurements as in the Raffles 16613 above.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangan and Hor-Fan

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
@KJ2020 thanks a million for your help. Will update with progress at some point in time
Hey bro, I’m in Montrose. I’ve got the 6542 dial that I pulled from my TS to replace with a viet one, I’d be happy to lend it to you if you want a physical sample to work with.

Reactions: KJ2020

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
Quindi, se è il quadrante da 29 mm, ci sono opzioni là fuori per quadranti di ricambio con la finestra della data corretta? Ho sempre pensato che fosse difficile trovarli a causa delle dimensioni del quadrante.
All gmt dials from Yuki are 27mm and at the moment I don't see dial for 6542 , Raffle has different sizes from 26mm to 31mm , you could use them as a base to print on top

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hey guys
working on a 6542 that I received from dealer clocks.

I think its a bp cartel version and I am having a hard time trying to remove the bezel . I assume it has the spring so I need to remove the insert prior to removing the bezel however I dont want to unnecessarily damage the insert so I am looking for suggestions.

I tried popping the crystal out from inside the case but it wont budge , probably because he has the crystal ring that the bezel is held on by via the spring .

What's the easiest way to remove the bezel assembly I guess its by removing the insert first

Any suggestions welcome.
thanks