• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Microbrands are breathing new life into watchmaking.

Frank_NRW

24/2/22
France / Germany
Triton
Crown at 12
I guess too expensive to qualify as a microband ? By the way, what is a microbrand ? Is there a widely accepted definition?

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
Triton
Crown at 12
I guess too expensive to qualify as a microband ? By the way, what is a microbrand ? Is there a widely accepted definition?

Very cool!

This is by no means a comprehensive definition, but I’d say a microbrand is one that:
- is not funded by some kind of venture
- is not a subsidiary of any watch conglomerates like Richemont or Swatch Group
- is a small shop operated by a limited number of showrunners

These qualities would likely contribute, as they have with many of our examples in this post, into new watches that are created in small production runs and powered by non-proprietary movements.

I imagine the difference a micro and a one-man boutique is likely that the micro looks to achieve some level of scalability and mass production, whereas a one man shop is going to have their own bespoke parts and push the “painstakingly handcrafted” angle, which will allow/cause them to stay small and not scale.

YMMV!

Reactions: Frank_NRW

Feefo

More hoarding, less regrets.
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
For anyone interesetd in the Serica, watch out for the bad movement. Which is a shame for a very nice design such as this. Even if wasn't faulty, it's a bit overpriced in my view, interesting because I have the same view on Yema, another french brand.

Reactions: Kcnminus

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
For anyone interesetd in the Serica, watch out for the bad movement. Which is a shame for a very nice design such as this. Even if wasn't faulty, it's a bit overpriced in my view, interesting because I have the same view on Yema, another french brand.
I have two Serica 5303. The blue dial and the black dial. Both are tremendous. No issues with movement and build quality is superb.
The first batch of the 5303 had an issue with crown stem but this was rectified free of charge for any affected watches and isn't an issue now. That level of customer service by a microbrand is what sets a good brand from a shit brand in my eyes.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I have two Serica 5303. The blue dial and the black dial. Both are tremendous. No issues with movement and build quality is superb.
The first batch of the 5303 had an issue with crown stem but this was rectified free of charge for any affected watches and isn't an issue now. That level of customer service by a microbrand is what sets a good brand from a shit brand in my eyes.

I'm glad to hear you can enjoy those beautiful watches. I was just a bit set back by the video since it appears that problems still persist and customer service quality may have decreased and serica assumed a different stance towards servicing. I would love to have one, especially the new gmt, but am wary now.

Reactions: MattSP

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
I'm glad to hear you can enjoy those beautiful watches. I was just a bit set back by the video since it appears that problems still persist and customer service quality may have decreased and serica assumed a different stance towards servicing. I would love to have one, especially the new gmt, but am wary now.
Just get one, after all reps are a gamble with their pube ridden, grit-fest movements but people still chuck good money at them

• Haha
Reactions: MattSP

Beartooth

CREAM OF THE CROP
Patron
Certified
22/2/22
MT
What's funny is the people who will claim these microbrands are a waste of money because "they are using an ETA movment and not an in house creation" when so many of the mid-luxury $3k - $10k watches are doing the same thing.

I have missed this creation by HELM watches each time it came back into stock. They have a great lineup of watches that I think is a great deal for the price.

You have to get on their waiting list and resist the urge to buy them marked up from Ebay.

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I did, then procrastinated, and ended up missing out. I'm pissed.

J Belfort

Horology Curious
9/3/21
Munich/Germany
Hi guys,
few days ago i preordered my first microbrand watch. The new Tricompax Panda form Baltic (actually it's not a real Tricompax^^)
What do you think of that watch? To generic?

And there is another microbrand wich is very interesting: Laventure, but i guess the possibiltie to grab a watch from them is zero.^^

Frank_NRW

24/2/22
France / Germany
I think this Spinnaker model looks almost perfect. Orange diver, no lugs, crown at 4' and under 700 EUR.
Only omission is bezels you can swap easily like the Formex diver.
I wish I could see a real one and feel the quality. It's the problem with microbrands, you don't see them in shops...

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Hi guys,
few days ago i preordered my first microbrand watch. The new Tricompax Panda form Baltic (actually it's not a real Tricompax^^)

And there is another microbrand wich is very interesting: Laventure, but i guess the possibiltie to grab a watch from them is zero.^^
I've had a Baltic before. Great watch. You won't be disappointed with the quality of it that's for sure. It's a matter of personal preference if you like the design. I think it's a real looker!

Reactions: J Belfort

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hi guys,

I have 3 baltic watches. The diver's quality is very good, top notch. I'm not into chronographs, but baltic definitely knows his stuff with design, I think it's beautiful and as usual vintage inspired. You won't be disappointed.

Frank_NRW

24/2/22
France / Germany
Hi guys,

Yes good choice. Simple and elegant watch, Baltic have this « je ne sais quoi » with nice design and realistic pricing.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Auricoste…
Another expensive microbrand dive watch. But very unique and distinctive

On the watch itself, not my cup of tea. Too much writing on that dial and I can't stand the date @4. Nor do I like how they managed the hands. The impression is they wanted too much and the design resulted in poor balance. My 2 cents.