• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Adjust your rep's timing and beat.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
May be a bit repetitive and requires a modicum of patience, but it's always worked for me. I currently have six (ETAs 2836-2s & 2671-2s, and Asian 7750s & 7753s) all synched with each other, almost to the exact second.

The way I do mine is as follows:

1) Open the digital clock on your computer.

2) Remove the case-back

3) Stop the second hand on the watch by pulling the crown out to the time-set position, to activate the hacking movement (stop the second hand directly at the twelve o'clock position).

4) Then roll the minute hand forward to where it will be, one minute from now.

5) When the digital second hand on the computer reaches 12 o'clock, push the crown back in so the watch & the computer's clock are now synched to the exact hour, minute & second.

6) Put the watch on a winder for a night & compare your watch to the computer's clock after 24 hours to see how far off they are.

7) Pop the caseback. For example, if the watch is now fast by 10 seconds per 24 hours, simply turn the adjustment screw (C, pictured below) so that it loses 10 seconds for every 24 hours; alternatively, do the opposite, if it's slow by 10 seconds.

(If adjusting via the screw doesn't regulate it enough, on an ETA movement--like the one pictured below--the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other, the longer the stroke, so the slower the watch will run. However, a little goes a long way with this, so use cautiously)

ETA 2671-2:

IMG_3657.jpg

ETA 2836-2

183673-6507.jpg

Each notch towards "+" represents a 5 second gain per 24 hours. Each notch towards "-" represents a 5 second loss per 24 hours. Adjust accordingly

NOTE: For Asian chrono movements, they're slightly different. See the little regulation arm circled in red?:

183673-6508.jpg

A.jpg

C.jpg

If it's running too fast, you'll want to move it to the right (counter-clockwise, as shown with the red arrow below) :

183673-6509.jpg

If it's running too slow, you'll want to move it to the left (clockwise & opposite of the red arrow's direction).

The regulation arm on the Asian 7750s & 7753s (sub-dials at 6, 9, & 12 o'clock, or at 3,6, and 9) are very sensitive--they only need to me moved a fraction of an inch at a time; not as much as the picture shows (it's merely an exaggeration to illustrate a point).

8) Now repeat steps 3-7, to test it's accuracy. This should be perfected after a couple of days.

I technically have no way to measure the movement's beat-rate via electronics or machinery, but at this point don't really need or care about that, as long as the watch is keeping the best time it can.

I've now got six synched automatic watches that are so precise, I can literally watch the second hand roll over the 12 o''clock position at the very second when the time on my cell phone (or computer) changes minutes. They're damn near almost exact as digital or quartz watches now.

Note: Depending on what position you store your automatic watch in, will play a role in determining how many seconds it gains or loses every night--this is why I keep them on a winder, so that they are constantly moving and not at rest (in the same position).

1) If you lay an automatic watch flat & level (with the crystal facing up), it will usually gain a couple of seconds per night.

2) If you lay the watch on its side (with the crown facing down) it will lose a second or two per night.

3) Contrarily, if it's stored on its side (crown facing up), it will generally lose more than 2 seconds--or more--per night.

EDIT: Chances are, if you've performed all of this and your movement is still too slow or too fast, it's running dry & will probably need a full service. On the bright side, once done, you won't have to touch it again for another five years.

Hope this is of some help to you. Have fun!

Reactions: Ozzy883

tenshin2002

3/1/09
So in this tutorial you show how to regulate a watch, and leave the timing.
My question is when do you have to adjust the timing and why? If you still can "calibrate" the accuracy by just regulating the watch. In short why is the timing important?

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
@Gio,
Great post on setting a movements timing.
However it relies on a clean, lubricated, and properly functioning movement.
I have, for the last few weeks been playing with a Vibrograf B200a, and am now coming to grips with timing, and also all the other indications of movement problems. (The most interesting aspect, has been the level of variations in different planes.... face up/ down, on side, etc)
One of the amazing abilities of the Vibrograf, is to diagnose many other internal problems.
Having said that, most timing dramas on a new/er watch, would have to be either stop/start or a total lack of cleanliness/service.
So if anyone carries out this tutorial, but finds that they are not getting the level of accuracy needed, then look to servicing the movement.

Offshore

parryl

27/2/09
wow , i was asking myself the same question last nig . cool

Neil66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/09
Nice pics & generraly informative post but BEWARE - some wrong details on the ETA...

gioarmani7428 said:
(If adjusting via the screw doesn't regulate it enough, on an ETA movement--like the one pictured below--the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other, the longer the stroke, so the slower the watch will run. However, a little goes a long way with this, so use cautiously)
Regarding

gioarmani7428 said:
the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other
This is misleading (as found out to my detriment); the statement reads like it's okay to move BOTH arms => However, you must only move ONE arm - the so called REGULATOR arm, you must NEVER move the other arm - the STUD...!!!
Also, on this movement, moving the regulator away from the stud will increase the watch rate not slow it down!

Repeat - never move arm A, the stud - I did and my timing is ahem, eh, waaaaaaaaay out :oops:

See this thread for a little advice I got from a resident expert, the fakemaster [click:36fn907k]http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54811&start=10&st=0&sk=t&sd=a[/click:36fn907k]

Gen-X

29/6/09
Great info! I'm about to try this adjustment myself, can you be more specific as to how much to move the regulator for 15 seconds/day? It's running fast, so from the instructions above I'm to move the regulator arm closer to the stud. Should I move it the width of the regulator? Twice the width? Half the width? I understand it might take a few days, but I want to start off in the right ballpark.

I've learned a ton since joining, thanks for posting. Special thanks to Fakemaster, who I emailed after reading one of his posts on local watchmakers. I asked him a few noob questions, which he answered promptly and without ridicule. Little did I know Fakemaster was a watch genius... it was like me asking Michael Schumacher how to park a car. Complete overkill for simple questions :)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
If you think you see it move then it did. That can make a difference of five seconds.

Gen-X

29/6/09
Great. I just moved it a nudge, and will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the great pics and info.

Scottyabc

Looking Around
6/10/10
have just turned 2 clicks to the + on a rolex submariner which loses 10 seconds per day. Awaiting result this time tomorrow.

Scottyabc

Looking Around
6/10/10
so far, accurate to the exact second. normally would have lost 7 secs by now.

Thanks for the excellent and detailed post

nabeelabasy

Horology Curious
26/11/10
when adjust the watch (+/-) the watch must be stopped thats mean pull the crown to stop the sec and then play with (+/-) ?

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
that's what I do. hopefully its the correct thing.

my guess is it makes no difference at all, but if you slip and bump the spinning wheel, you may damage it if it is moving.

lorenzo81

Known Member
8/11/09
I adjusted one of mine while it was running and had no problem at all but for safety I think it's better pulling the crown out

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
my 2836-2 is running away with its self. and i mean by way of 5 sec gain over 2 minutes, i have fully adjusted it to the - is there any other way to slow the damn thing down?

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Look above in the thread. Did you try moving the arms "A" and "B" farther apart?
Just set the watch down, and rest your hand against the desk or the edge of the case so you use the small muscles in your hand to push the arm with a small screwdriver. It will give you a bit more control.

my 2836-2 is running away with its self. and i mean by way of 5 sec gain over 2 minutes, i have fully adjusted it to the - is there any other way to slow the damn thing down?