• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Service Your Movement Tutorial!(complete Breakdown)

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Many say this has helped them with doing it themselves and many just like this kind of stuff so i felt i and my friend would give u a nice show, and yes we do offer this service investigated, it is a repeat but i felt being one of the members who helped get this board started that this kind of stuff is what we r all about!! ENJOY

Starting out we inspect the watch visually and listen to the movement for any anomalous noises that could lead to clues toward problems yet to be seen.

1startingout.jpg

Next we demagnetize the watch for the first time during service. We will also demagnetize the watch again after servicing, right before regulation. Magnetised parts are problematic both for timekeeping and when working on a movement. There is nothing more bothersome than a microscopic screw that sticks to your screwdriver or tweezers. Our machine is a classic bakelite Elimag, it's a common machine you'll find in many watchmakers shops.

2firstwedemagnetize.jpg

Then we open the caseback in our opener. This type of opener is designed to be able to open and tighten casebacks without slipping and marring the caseback.

tightencaseback.jpg

Once the caseback is loose, we go back to the bench and let the mainspring down slowly and carefully.

3thenletthemainspringdown.jpg

After that is done, we release and remove the stem.
4releasingthestem.jpg

5removingthestem.jpg

Then we remove the rotor.

6removingtherotor.jpg

Now we can remove the clamps and take the movement out of the case.

7movementoutofcase.jpg

We put the movement in a movement clamp, replace the stem and and place the hands at 12:00, readying them for removal.

8movementholderhandsat12.jpg

Next we protect the dial and carefully remove the hands with a specially designed tool.

9dialprotecthandremoval.jpg

Once the hands are off they are wrapped in special lint-free watch tissue to protect them from scratches.

10handsremovedpaperwrap.jpg

We do the same with the dial.

11dialremovepaperwrap.jpg

Now the movement is ready to be inspected and disassembled.

12movementreadyinholder.jpg

We remove the balance cap jewels with a special tool made from pegwood for Kif-style springs, normal tweezers for Incablocs.

removebalancecapjewel.jpg

removingcapjewelkifspring.jpg

Once we've got them off we place the cap jewels into a small vial of a toxic chemical called "One dip", or Trichloroethane. The jewels are two-part assemblies that are held together by the capillary action or surface tension of the fine grade of oil used on them. The chemical we put them in dissolves the oil and cleans and "splits" the jewels so we can inspect them and oil them freshly.

capjewelsonedip.jpg

Here they are being oiled again after cleaning. The dot of oil in the middle of them is incredibly small. It must be precisely placed and sized to act and last properly over the years on this critical part of the movement.

oilingcapjewels.jpg

The oiled cap jewels are set aside and we move to disassemble the rest of the movement. Here it is pulled apart and ready for the cleaner.

readytoclean.jpg

Before we clean everything else, first we clean the whole balance assembly in One Dip. It's too delicate for the parts cleaners, and is only further disassembled if there is a serious problem with the hairspring, balance or pivot.

cleaningbalance.jpg

Placing parts in one of the specialized baskets for cleaning. This is one of many different types of baskets we use.

placingpartsinbasket.jpg

Next we move over to the cleaning machines. The machines use special watch-specific flammable cleaning fluids, and care must be exercised around them. Here we see the technician using the mechanical machine, with the powerful industrial ultrasonic going beside it. Both machines are made by L&R, they have been in the watch parts cleaner business for years. They also make the cleaning fluids we use.

Both are effective methods of cleaning, using the same three steps. One cleaner step, using the yellowish fluid seen in the picture, and two rinse steps; the mechanical also having a spin-dry cycle. The ultrasonic is a little slower to use, but sometimes the extra power is required. Usually when busy both machines are running at the same time.

cleaning.jpg

Everything out of the cleaner and ready to go back together.

outofthecleaner.jpg

Once everything is clean and blown or spun dry, we reassemble and lubricate the mainspring barrel. It gets its own large basket for cleaning. 3 different grades of lubricant are used on this one part. It's critical that it work smoothly as this is the power delivery system for the whole watch. That long spring must be tightly wound into the barrel which is smaller than the diameter of a dime.

mainspringunwound.jpg

mainspringrewoundlube.jpg

Then we start reassembling and lubricating the watch. We use 7 different grades of lubricants on a typical ETA automatic. Here the wheel train bridge assembly is back together and the technician is removing any fingerprints or oil smudges with a special cleaning putty on pegwood. This task is performed throughout the reassembly process along with the dust blower to keep the parts perfectly clean.

wheeltrainandmainspringbarrel.jpg

oilingwindbridge.jpg

windingback.jpg

Once reassembled and oiled, we're ready to put the dial and hands back on with our handsetting tool. Again, care is exercised to insure nothing is damaged and the hands are all correctly aligned.

settinghands.jpg

After we get them on, we give them a quick wipe to clean them, again checking that their alignment has not been disturbed by the cleaning.

cleaninghands.jpg

The watch is given a once over again, and is ready to go back into the case. The caseback is placed on loosely to facilitate the adjustments we will make during regulation. All functions are checked for proper operation before we proceed further.

casing.jpg

We give the movement a wind, then if it's an automatic it goes on the automatic winder for 48 hours to help distribute the oils and make sure everything is working well and there are no problems.

winder.jpg

Once it's passed that test, it goes to the timing machine. This machine works both on its own and interfaces with a computer. Here the watch is being tested in the dial up position.

timingdialup.jpg

Here we see one of the readouts as we adjust both the timing machine and the watch for accurate readings.

readout2.jpg

The watch being moved to another position for testing.

changingposition.jpg

Readings will be taken and recorded on a printout for the owner in 5 positions once the watch has been regulated to the technician's satisfaction. After all that, the gaskets are lubricated sparingly with silicone grease, and the caseback is tightened properly.

The rest of the paperwork is filled out, anything worth noting about the watch is recorded, the 1 year guarantee is stapled to the results and notes, and the watch is given a quick wipedown with a 3m microfiber cloth. Finally the watch is ready to return to its owner. And there you have the anatomy of a general watch service!

hope u learned something and enjoyed it

joe

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
Joe, your posts are spectacular and very comprehensive.

Your section and Vaccum's will be a asset's to build the community with.

Thank you

LWA

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
This should be the best post so far

It is so cool to be able to see the steps to this process and be able to undestand som eof the watchmaking lingo our watch repairmen use at time we pick up our watches.

Fully educational.

Luke

dtan888

Renowned Member
3/1/07
Hi Joe, Its a very scary procedures and I am very happy we have some one like you to go to. How long is the whole process servicing?
It is a very technical and skills procedures. now i know why it cost so much for services. i do understand. i do...

Dan

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...great work and I love all the wonderful equipment you have. Great Job.... :) :)

Renowned Member
19/10/06
Wow, that was awesome.
What was that TT Rolex on the winder? Was it a GMT master or a TT Sub? If it was a Sub, what version?

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
very informative.

how many watches during the day will the technician work on?

gen

Known Member
6/2/07
Re: How To Service Your Movement Tutorial!(complete Breakdo

A big Thank You for posting this very entertaining, and, goes without saying, very informative piece. You are an asset to this community Joe. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

robc_uk

25/11/06
Phew!

Thanks for this, now I know why I shouldn't try to do things myself!!!

Rob

Rollex

Renowned Member
3/3/07
how much does this style of service cost? :)

Excellent thread btw, I've read threw it 10 times or so. :D

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
shiteee..this is the LAB..now i know..good work..would love to sent my watch one day

watchoholic

24/7/08
Joe, thanks for reassuring that i should never open a watch up again! Wow! Great Work!

bkwbkw

Horology Curious
17/2/09
Can you give me details on your service center - e.g, location, contact info, etc?

While there are hundreds, if not thousands of places out there to have my watches serviced - I'd like to send mine to someone/someplace competent. I had sent my Speedmaster out for service through an Omega authorized retailer and it returned with lint on the face and a small nick on the bezel.

jn1975

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/1/09
WOW! Thanks for this excellent show.
Really stunning!
THANKS!

Minion

19/4/09
This was absolutely amazing....I was unable to see all of the photos - only the first 4 or 5 showed up and the rest, even when I tried to manually download the photo, it just stayed with a red x in a small box.

fredp

25/7/09
Amazing :shock:
I think it's not easy to do without all the equipment !