• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dial shaving made easy - DIY

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ARF dials often seem to be a tad larger than other factories. ARF Daytona dials are well known to need shaving to fit in a Noob case. I had to shave this ARF GMT dial down to fit it in a VRF case.

I found a unique way to safely DIY shave a finished dial that may be useful for others. The biggest challenge is anchoring the dial to a die or a mounting plate so it can spin in a dremel without anything touching the face. The solution I found was E6000 glue. I knew from using it on other projects that it is extremely strong. But it also has another quality that makes it perfect for this task. It peels away intact, and totally cleanly.

First I epoxied a die to a dremel bit, then stair-stepped it with sharp chisel edge. You could also just use a smaller diameter die.

Then I taped off the dial window and glued the dial onto the die with the E6000 glue. The more exactly you can center the dial on the die, the more accurate the edge removal will be. There is a little room for error since the dial edges will be hidden by the rehaut.

Make sure you let the E6000 fully cure for 24 hours.

I recommend starting with 600 grit sandpaper to get a feel for pressing it against the dial. It will take 400 or 320 grit to make real progress. Be very careful and angle the paper slightly so the first point of contact is the backside of the dial. Don't push on the dial too aggressively - if you are not taking material off, try the next grade of sandpaper or speed up the dremel a tiny bit. STOP and re-measure frequently and check for symmetry around the edge. It's OK if the removal is slightly lopsided as long as it's far enough out that it will be hidden by the rehaut. Practice on a junk dial first!

NOTE:
If there is only a little bit to take off you can do it by hand, the same way an insert outer diameter is shaved. Tape a piece of 400 grit sandpaper flat on a bench. Wear a latex glove, hold the dial on an angle so as to contact the backside first. Hold the dial by its edge near some markers so if your finger contacts the face it will touch a marker and not the dial. Swipe roll the dial toward you on the sandpaper, 3 - 4 swipes, then regrip and do the next overlapping arc. Use a dust blower frequently to keep sanded particles off the dial face. Measure often. Keep it even all the way around. Finish with a higher grit 800 or 1000 if desired.

15902452848500.jpg

ZeGGXD.jpg

15902452849341.jpg

15902452849612.jpg

15902453255813.jpg

15902453257014.jpg

15902453911786.jpg

15902453912417.jpg

15902453912938.jpg

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Thanks for sharing this tutorial KJ!! This is not an "easy" task :D There is a lot of skills, patience and experience that goes behind this task. It is piece of cake for you but not for people like me.

Reactions: KJ2020

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
This is a great idea. I was thinking about something like this to shave .5mm off a Ruby’s 1680 dial to fit it into a JKF.

The problem is the rotation and vibration may cause the indices to come off?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Another great tutorial KJ, thanks for sharing your technique with excellent illustration of the process too.

My only dial shaving antics to date have been on dials that were blank to start with (while making true gilt decal printed dials), so I didn't have to worry about damaging the paint/lacquer - which meant I could attach the dial to a threaded dremel shaft using a screw and washer. Having a solution for a dial with a printed surface is really useful, thanks!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is a great idea. I was thinking about something like this to shave .5mm off a Ruby’s 1680 dial to fit it into a JKF.

The problem is the rotation and vibration may cause the indices to come off?

I've not had that happen bro, I've done 3 dials this way. A variable speed dremel is a must, use the lowest speed available - on mine it's 5000 rpm. I thought about adding some extra epoxy first on the marker pins on the backside of the dial but since it wasn't a problem on my practice dials I haven't bothered.

On a dial with just lume plots I wouldn't have thought they would just fall off. But as you know that can happen all too easily.

Your pic of your Ruby's GMT dial was a real surprise to me and is a useful warning in this thread. It actually made me consider ordering a Ruby's dial unlumed so I could just make it how I want it. The plots can be re-lumed, although matching existing others can be challenging.

IMG-2976.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
From another thread:
Cheers KJ, I was kinda hoping you would jump in ;)
As always a lovely clear little tutorial. I'll get to work on it as soon as I can get my hands clean LoL! Been in the garage cleaning the dirtiest bike I've ever seen!
How fast am I spinning it, what would you say is the best number? And what grade paper?

And whats the best way to clean a dial? I've got a raffles dial I can use to practise on but its covered in dust that the rocket blower can't shift, I'd like to see if it can be saved. I really want to use warm soapy water on it, what do you think?

Cheers.
339dc4905fc53eaf9639712613145f9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Use the lowest settng you have, I use 5000 rpm. Start with 600 grit to get used to it, then 400 or 320 to make real progress.

For dial cleaning I use a Zeiss lens cloth and this ROR solution. Same thing I use for final wiping of hands after polishing them. I stretch the cloth taut over my forefinger, spray a glancing mist of ROR onto it, and wave it in the air a bit to make it damp only. I swipe from the middle outward. It gets rid of smudges, fingerprints, rodico marks etc. If it leaves spots, it's too wet. It should clean and immediately disappear from evaporation.

ZQsASk.jpg

ZQs2PD.jpg

Sometimes a bit of debris or lint can collect around raised markers. For that I use this tool. Use the edge of it to grab and pull debris away, swipe toward and off the dial edge.

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-79...aner-polisher/

Dirty dials and crystals are are real pet peeve of mine. Nothing like a flawless dial.

Z4F15D.jpg

Z4F9tk.jpg

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
For dial cleaning I use a Zeiss lens cloth and this ROR solution. Same thing I use for final wiping of hands after polishing them.

KJ2020 How do you polish the hands? I always thought the plating on them are too delicate for any kind of polishing compounds.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
ARF dials often seem to be a tad larger than other factories. ARF Daytona dials are well known to need shaving to fit in a Noob case. I had to shave this ARF GMT dial down to fit it in a VRF case.

Awesome tutorial KJ2020. I was wondering how to do a dial shave. Good to hear you've had no issues spinning up dials on a dremel...I would not have had the cojones to try that! Have you considered using a hot glue gun to attach the dial to the die? The hot glue bonds almost instantly and releases fairly easily with a little high grade rubbing alcohol (91%). Just a thought.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Awesome tutorial KJ2020. I was wondering how to do a dial shave. Good to hear you've had no issues spinning up dials on a dremel...I would not have had the cojones to try that! Have you considered using a hot glue gun to attach the dial to the die? The hot glue bonds almost instantly and releases fairly easily with a little high grade rubbing alcohol (91%). Just a thought.

Haven't tried that bro but historically my success with hot glue guns is very poor. Seems to always be messy for me. It might work, but I think I'll stick with my known quantity. I meant to post this pic with the others above, I'll add it in if I can. The E6000 is just what I'm used to.

ZeGGXD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: butler182

takks

7/8/15
Haven't tried that bro but historically my success with hot glue guns is very poor. Seems to always be messy for me. It might work, but I think I'll stick with my known quantity. I meant to post this pic with the others above, I'll add it in if I can. The E6000 is just what I'm used to.

ZeGGXD.jpg

Just want to hear with curiosity, is ARF dial has ROLEX engraving on back side?
If so ROLEX engraving on back side is no longer genuine proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Just want to hear with curiosity, is ARF dial has ROLEX engraving on back side?
If so ROLEX engraving on back side is no longer genuine proof.

Lots of factories do that now bro, it is indeed not an indicator of a gen dial.

takks

7/8/15
Lots of factories do that now bro, it is indeed not an indicator of a gen dial.

Thanks!
I was so ignorant.
I have to be very careful when I get Gen dial.
As far as I know Noob and VSF dial don’t have it.

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
KJ2020 is there another name for the die or mounting plate or application they are used in? I’m trying to figure out a custom dial holder for pad printing and this looks like a path I could go down.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 is there another name for the die or mounting plate or application they are used in? I’m trying to figure out a custom dial holder for pad printing and this looks like a path I could go down.

Those are crystal dies bro. You can get them in plastic or metal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...&ie=UTF-8#scso=_hHiMYZDyF9SFtQbNs7-QDw4:148.5

I did another technique by epoxying a 1" diameter and 1/16" thick washer to a dremel bit. But it wasn't as useful so the plastic die is what I use exclusively now.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Copied from OP:

"NOTE:
If there is only a little bit to take off you can do it by hand, the same way an insert outer diameter is shaved. Tape a piece of 400 grit sandpaper flat on a bench. Wear a latex glove, hold the dial on an angle so as to contact the backside first. Hold the dial by its edge near some markers so if your finger contacts the face it will touch a marker and not the dial. Swipe roll the dial toward you on the sandpaper, 3 - 4 swipes, then regrip and do the next overlapping arc. Use a dust blower frequently to keep sanded particles off the dial face. Measure often. Keep it even all the way around. Finish with a higher grit 800 or 1000 if desired."

This beautiful black MOP dial actually needed quite a bit off to fit in a different case - 30.0mm down to 28.6mm. But I decided to do it by hand just to see how it would go. While it takes longer (about 90 mins), it's definitely a very safe technique if you have the endurance for it. I started with 400 grit since there was a lot to remove, then 600 800 1000.

3QzFib.jpg

3QzEYc.jpg

3QzGCp.jpg

3QzNwX.jpg

And did you know? Many dials can be simply washed and blow dried leaving them squeaky clean. I use dish soap on a soft good quality artist brush. Even plain black gloss dials turn out like new, this is my default dial cleaning method now. Test first on a junk dial of course and obviously don't try on a matte dial or one with vulnerable lume plots.

3QzbLF.jpg

3Qzxrt.jpg

3QzSS5.jpg

3QzRci.jpg

3QzJE2.jpg

A black dial wash
3AHBUX.jpg

3AH8XI.jpg

3AHQQi.jpg

3AHrbc.jpg

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
@KJ2020 You're washing the dial, amazing! Would never have thought that this is a possibility.