• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
exactly the same color, same brushing, same shine. There's no difference

This goes against what some people said in this or other threads, they said that the 904l is whiter while the 316l is more yellow.

Well. Seems like the steel used has been confirmed to be only something exploited in order to pump more money out of our wallets

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I wonder why he went quite. Would be major blow for zzf sales if they brought out two full 316l watches back to back. I would be curious to see a zzf metal test, will continue searching tomorrow if I find something will post it.

I mean unless the one he tested was a ZZF v2 and he didn't know but I confirmed v3.

Tete

4/11/16
This goes against what some people said in this or other threads, they said that the 904l is whiter while the 316l is more yellow.

Well. Seems like the steel used has been confirmed to be only something exploited in order to pump more money out of our wallets

904 or 316 does not always influence the color. I have Noob v7, v6, GMT V2, V3 (all 316 and some are whiter and others more gray-yellow), ARF Dj41, Op39 (904 and they look different between them), ZZF V2 (it was sold), EWF Dj41 ( 316 and very light color and white). I don't think that rep factories have a QC of the color of steel, it depends on the batch and depends on the never exact mix of types of metals will come out the darkest color, yellow, silver, white ... I also have to point out that my ARF and EWF are much whiter or lighter than my previous Gen sub.

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
so what was the conclusion for this thread?
anyone can provide the TLDR for all?

Reactions: NumaNL

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
904 or 316 does not always influence the color. I have Noob v7, v6, GMT V2, V3 (all 316 and some are whiter and others more gray-yellow), ARF Dj41, Op39 (904 and they look different between them), ZZF V2 (it was sold), EWF Dj41 ( 316 and very light color and white). I don't think that rep factories have a QC of the color of steel, it depends on the batch and depends on the never exact mix of types of metals will come out the darkest color, yellow, silver, white ... I also have to point out that my ARF and EWF are much whiter or lighter than my previous Gen sub.

So it's totally incorrect to prefer 904l over 316l because the first one is "more gen like" since it's not always more "white" than the 316l, right?

Reactions: Tete

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
So it's totally incorrect to prefer 904l over 316l because the first one is "more gen like" since it's not always more "white" than the 316l, right?

Exactly at least for me, as long as the factory not charging a premium for it, also if making one or two parts in 316 means better quality I would take it. As Tete said there are so many factors that come into play. what benefits vsf is that they produce a lot of things by themselves that's why their qc doesn't varies that much compare to other factories.

Reactions: mari115 and Tete

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
Probably my last comment on this thread as it looks like this is a bucket that has a cracked bottom and it's useless trying to fill it up with water. I had to go to page 21 to find Puretimes last post ( 27.09.2020) on this thread and to be honest In my opinion as a TD it is very irresponsible to start a thread like this then say and come out with info that some factories use and others don't 904L but at the same time advertising on their web site, 904l watches when they clearly know that they are 316L, promise a full review and then disappear as nothing happened. Really disappointing to see a TD act like this. Thx God we have more TDs from which we can choose.

Last edited:

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Probably my last comment on this thread as it looks like this is a bucket that has a cracked bottom and it's useless trying to fill it up with water. I had to go to page 21 to find Puretimes last post ( 27.09.2020) on this thread and to be honest In my opinion as a TD it is very irresponsible to start a thread like this then say and come out with info that some factories use and others don't 904L but at the same time advertising on their web site, 904l watches when they clearly know that they are 316L, promise a full review and then disappear as nothing happened. Really disappointing to see a TD act like this. Thx God we have more TDs from which we can choose.

Very poor follow thru admittedly

Reactions: walla65

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
Agree 100% i was actually really considering switching to him as my TD based on the forum posts and interactions. This was actually suoer good information and would have really helped us as consumers but to leave this one without following up has really put me off. Not cool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

walla65

20/5/19
we have to realize that the various TDs must maintain good relations with all the factories ... even if they may have an interest in pushing one more than another ... so when they realize they are creating problems ... they stop and disappear ....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tete

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
we have to realize that the various TDs must maintain good relations with all the factories ... even if they may have an interest in pushing one more than another ... so when they realize they are creating problems ... theu stop
and disappear from the topic

I understand that but as I said earlier a lot of Chinese td's are writing about the steel factories use. Also jtime at least wrote on his website discontinued zzf 316L steel.

walla65

20/5/19
I understand that but as I said earlier a lot of Chinese td's are writing about the steel factories use. Also jtime at least wrote on his website discontinued zzf 316L steel.

of course ... I don't want to justify it ... on the contrary ... but they are sellers ... not associations for the protection of consumers .... and as we all know ... there are sellers and sellers ...and behaving in a certain way ... put their credibility on the line .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayalvin777

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen Angus get some heat from the makers. I’m guessing this time he may have caught a bunch of it.
The disclosure of the steel situation was a tease for the review itself. I regret not being able to see the review, especially now in what I believe is one of the most competitive periods of producing the Submariner I’ve ever seen. I believe there are some great choices available right now.
Perhaps before these models are discontinued the review will see the light of day. The 126xxx’s are on the way! Can’t wait for V3

Reactions: m5smg2

Rippin6Gears

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/17
PNW
Only 2 of them turn out to be using 904L entirely and one of them is using 316L but advertised as 904L and the rest are 316/904 hybrids

bec2c4f5579f53208b3c75300d2dec85.jpg
9a78cb7fe970457d40dd1f89dcfa2789.jpg
e6f4de82439ec3305dec9b7d88b644ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So have you tested any of the GMF 904L watches?