• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release: Noob Skydweller

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
With the month movement on the bezel, what are your thoughts on water getting into the movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will have to wait to see how they did it

Sjordan

Horology Curious
12/4/18
With the month movement on the bezel, what are your thoughts on water getting into the movement?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So pretty much the “least-worst” option if you wanted to go high-beat. And hoping you’d have a stable movement once you’re done with the conversion. But, if it will work...

I wasn’t aware the 5833 version even existed. I hadn’t seen it on any other watches as it has a unique look to the upper side that you find only in the Sky-D. Thanks!

Regarding the 4813, I read up on it as much as I could find. It looks like it was made as an "upgrade" to the 2813 specifically for the high beat feature. This was like 8 - 10 years ago around the same time the 2824/36 ETA clones were being introduced. There were a lot of problems with reliability in the 4813s and they quickly lost favor as the high beat ETA clones gained popularity. These reliability issues are not present on the base 2813 or any of its low beat variants like the 3804 or 5833 all of which I have had good performance from. Both of my 5833s (which this new Sky-D has) have performed well and the movement is readily available and inexpensive to buy if a replacement is needed.

I was actually thinking about grabbing a 4813 from Cousins or Ofrei to see if it was even a feasible notion to combine parts with the 5833 but after reading so many negative things about it I have abandoned that pursuit.

This post documents some of the history and the issues with the 4813 pretty well I think. Read the first reply in its entirety for the full story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChinaTime/..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Regarding the 4813, I read up on it as much as I could find. It looks like it was made as an "upgrade" to the 2813 specifically for the high beat feature. This was like 8 - 10 years ago around the same time the 2824/36 ETA clones were being introduced. There were a lot of problems with reliability in the 4813s and they quickly lost favor as the high beat ETA clones gained popularity. These reliability issues are not present on the base 2813 or any of its low beat variants like the 3804 or 5833 all of which I have had good performance from. Both of my 5833s (which this new Sky-D has) have performed well and the movement is readily available and inexpensive to buy if a replacement is needed.

I was actually thinking about grabbing a 4813 from Cousins or Ofrei to see if it was even a feasible notion to combine parts with the 5833 but after reading so many negative things about it I have abandoned that pursuit.

This post documents some of the history and the issues with the 4813 pretty well I think. Read the first reply in its entirety for the full story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChinaTime/..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Thank you for this. I had done some reading on the 4813 and the results were as you had described them. Even read on another forum an unconfirmed post that if you are able to get a 4813 today, it will be low-beat just like the 2813, so why bother.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube regarding the StarKing high beat movement and how inexpensive they are to get on Aliiexpress, https://youtu.be/7jyU5-YclAI
but it seems like the reliability is very short lived.

Also came across this comparison table that might prove useful to some:

fe98013bea08e1ef7be4ba10292383e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tione12

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you for this. I had done some reading on the 4813 and the results were as you had described them. Even read on another forum an unconfirmed post that if you are able to get a 4813 today, it will be low-beat just like the 2813, so why bother.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube regarding the StarKing high beat movement and how inexpensive they are to get on Aliiexpress, https://youtu.be/7jyU5-YclAI
but it seems like the reliability is very short lived.

Also came across this comparison table that might prove useful to some:

fe98013bea08e1ef7be4ba10292383e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a handy chart. Anyone thinking about ever modding or tinkering with movements should save this. Thanks!

Reactions: williamsrt

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Length of lumed hands is the most visible tell, imho

Do you mean the length of the lume plots? I think they are pretty close to gen, slightly longer but without a side by side not a big deal. The rep has slightly wider lume plots too. The length of the hands themselves look OK to me.

McpCK.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
Do you mean the length of the lume plots? I think they are pretty close to gen, slightly longer but without a side by side not a big deal. The rep has slightly wider lume plots too. The length of the hands themselves look OK to me.

McpCK.jpg

You are right. I had a mistake comparing pics.
Only the hand beginning seems flat instead of bent, but the rep image is not clear.
Second hand is quite different in rotor coupling, maybe not a real flaw.
Datawheel numbers are not the same as in gen and dial color has to be seen in real light cause in theese pictures seems to be another one, but it could due to photos

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Over on RG nembo posted a BP Explorer II with a high beat 2813 movement.

https://www.repgeek.com/nembos-corne...nds-price.html

I have one of those coming. Ordered Mar 3, shipped Mar 8, sat at Guangzhou Intl from Mar 15 to Jun 5 at which point it was returned to Nembo's Chinese contact. Reshipped to me DHL (at Nembo's expense, awesome seller that he is) on Jun 15.

In the interim he sourced another one of these for me, that would be the one you linked if I'm guessing correctly.

I follow his sales closely and have seen the high beat description a number of times. Knowing what I do now about the 4813 I have to wonder about reliability. But it will be an easy and inexpensive swap to 3804 if necessary. In the meantime I get to have a close up experience with one.

That 216570 is a very nice looking watch at a great price. I wonder if BP's Polar version has decent lume plots on the hour markers. I've been looking for a good one of those too.

Last edited:
Reactions: R2L

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes, I was referring to the lumed plot. In the hours hand is not really noticeable, but in minutes hand is too much length covering gmt numbers. A tell visible from far away. I believe, due to this flaw, it does not need a gen side by side to identify this rep like a fake

The minute hand lume only covers the GMT wheel when the hand is not near the red triangle, same as the gen. The skeletonized part of the hand allows visibility of the GMT numerals near the red triangle, which is the relevant GMT wheel time.

Rep with minute hand up
MgwBo.jpg

Gen with minute hand down
Mgk5k.jpg

seikolonian09

Known Member
23/12/18
I'm really looking forward to seeing more pics and videos when the orders start arriving. I'm really interested in how the blue dial will stack up compared to gen.

2 guys I work with wear their Sky Dwellers regularly. One wears a 326934 (blue) and the other has a 326934 (black) and 326135. I believe that the blue dial will have the easiest tell between the two 326934's since it has a distinct hue.

Not too worried about the bph. No one really stares at a watch long enough and close enough to notice. A glance wouldn't be enough to spot those differences. Not unless you hand it over to someone. Hehe

I'm really excited for this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The biggest tells on this rep from all the pics I've seen will be the crystal (unless replaced), the date display, which is normal size and not horizontally condensed, and on the blue model the GMT wheel color does not match the dial color as well as the gen. This would not be an issue on a black or white dial, maybe not on gold either. An RG chocolate dial has a black wheel so no issue there either.

My $158 Regdwellers actually have a better dial/wheel color match. I may well swap one of those in if it looks better.

Mgu9W.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes, Nembo over on RG is a great guy to deal with. I’ve purchased a few pieces from him to try out as his prices are pretty decent for the quality.

Funny, I just realized he had a blue dial Sky-D for sale about 9 months ago. Probably a Regmariner equivalent.

https://www.repgeek.com/nembos-corn...ld-fs-edt-rolex-skydweller-sunburst-blue.html

Yes indeed, he has had a few of those - often in threes of black, white and blue dials.

KrX

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/20
PureTime told me is not a reliable movement on this Noob Sky D....

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
PureTime told me is not a reliable movement on this Noob Sky D....

Strange they would tell you that (way to sabotage your own sales). There have been Sky-Ds sold with this movement for quite some time now and I've not heard of a single one failing. It's a DG2813 (simple and reliable) with a single mod to it to drive and set a center hour wheel. I have two of them that have had no issues in almost two years now.

This is the movement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mingzhu...-/322898140461

Looks to me like someone at PT is confusing this with all of Noob's OTHER GMT movements, which ARE not reliable, being the 2824 CHS timebombs.

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Strange they would tell you that (way to sabotage your own sales). There have been Sky-Ds sold with this movement for quite some time now and I've not heard of a single one failing. It's a DG2813 (simple and reliable) with a single mod to it to drive and set a center hour wheel. I have two of them that have had no issues in almost two years now.

This is the movement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mingzhu...-/322898140461

Looks to me like someone at PT is confusing this with all of Noob's OTHER GMT movements, which ARE not reliable, being the 2824 CHS timebombs.

from my experience every TD says that a 2813 is unreliable, which i strongly disagree with as they are pretty good workhorses. In my ''reptime'' not many had failed, and if they fail they are dirtcheap to replace. Currently still have the 21J JF daytona running after 5 years

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
from my experience every TD says that a 2813 is unreliable, which i strongly disagree with as they are pretty good workhorses. In my ''reptime'' not many had failed, and if they fail they are dirtcheap to replace. Currently still have the 21J JF daytona running after 5 years

Agreed, the only ones I've replaced are ones I broke the second hand pinion on which is fairly easy to do unfortunately.

I tried 3 or 4 times to get one of those JF Daytonas, the blue dial steel bezel 116509. What a nice piece, it's always eluded me.

Reactions: Aquanautilus