Noob’s new GMT bezels are poorly designed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tripdog View Post

I'd be more than surprised if Noob has a design team.

This is type bezel construction that has been used for at least a decade on modern GMT models, it is a deeply flawed design, but undoubtedly the parts are cheap to make.
    As in rolex use it? None of the other noob watches ive opened up use this design. Its normally the groove machined into the bezel that the ring sits in. Surely they must have a cad model of their watches somewhere though? Do you think they just send gen parts to manufacturers and hope that everything will fit together when they get parts back?

Comment

I have seen two like those, very poor construction. I was worried bezel will fall off when reinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post
        Great post Kj - this should be a sticky! And you deserve an award for your perseverance with this abysmal design fail.
        I am new here, but the first thing I notice is A LOT of stickies. And they show up on every page.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Fun Socks View Post

As in rolex use it? None of the other noob watches ive opened up use this design. Its normally the groove machined into the bezel that the ring sits in. Surely they must have a cad model of their watches somewhere though? Do you think they just send gen parts to manufacturers and hope that everything will fit together when they get parts back?
          No, I meant the rep factories. They just came up with a cheap and reasonably effective way of copying the Rolex GMT bezel action.

Comment

Originally posted by tripdog View Post

No, I meant the rep factories. They just came up with a cheap and reasonably effective way of copying the Rolex GMT bezel action.
            This is a new problem with the pepsi though isnt it? Ive taken a few LN and BLNR watches apart and the system was a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rideilm View Post
              I am new here, but the first thing I notice is A LOT of stickies. And they show up on every page.
              Oh, well in that case you have my sincere apologies for suggesting it.
              FrankenSubs! - Subs! - Kermits! - Daytonas! - Seamasters! - A 1675 Adventure - A Budget 6538 build - Tudors! (COMING SOON!)

Comment

This is a new problem with the pepsi though isnt it? Ive taken a few LN and BLNR watches apart and the system was a lot better.
                I don't know, I thought this slightly crappy system was limited to lower end GMTs - sub $250 type watches. Apparently not.

Comment

I noticed this on my BLRO. I don't use or move the bezels but they are not well made on this model.

Comment

BTW, as a vaguely related aside... I just remembered there was a guy who was briefly around last year, who got into an argument with a TD (and then with everyone else on the forums) because the bezel of his expensive new GMT fell off In transit, and he couldn’t get it back on. At the time I think some people said he was lying, as this just wouldn't happen to a brand new rep. But anyway, his attitude was awful (he kept threatening a chargeback against the TD) and so his complaints about the bezel problem largely got overlooked because of that... and in the end he got banned right across the fora for being such an obnoxious d*ck.

And the moral of that "great story bro" is... don't be an obnoxious d*ck, kids.
                    FrankenSubs! - Subs! - Kermits! - Daytonas! - Seamasters! - A 1675 Adventure - A Budget 6538 build - Tudors! (COMING SOON!)

Comment

The bezel design on the new Noob Pepsi is unlike any other rep or gen bezel I've seen. As I mentioned in the OP, I would bet that Noob is also using these bezels on their new 126710 BLNR and their new 116710 LN. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are also using them on the new V10 Subs. Anything to save money while charging more to the customer.

The issue with these new bezels is the hytrel ring is not locked in place in a bezel groove. Continued rotational force on it pinches it and coupled with up and down and lateral forces exerted on the bezel, it is much more easily dislodged from its seat as it has nothing on top to restrain it from doing so.

The other really bad aspect of these more frequent failures is the unavailability of any usable replacement hytrel ring - rep, gen or aftermarket. Go fish, lol.

Previous Noob hytrel ring happy in it's groove

New Noob hytrel ring naked to the world

Last edited by KJ2020; 17-01-20, 19:05.
                      We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
                      GMT Movements Explained
                      BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
                      Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
                      The Fantasy Watch Thread
                      Noob GMT's poor bezel design
                      Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post

Oh, well in that case you have my sincere apologies for suggesting it.
                        No reason to apologize mate. i was passive/aggressive/ly pointing out to the mods/staff that there is more than 50% tacked threads just in this rolex sub forum. I my brain is hardwired to scroll passed tacked threads.

Anyways I am off topic.

Cheers to OP for passing on great information!

Comment

Originally posted by Rideilm View Post
                          No reason to apologize mate. i was passive/aggressive/ly pointing out to the mods/staff that there is more than 50% tacked threads just in this rolex sub forum. I my brain is hardwired to scroll passed tacked threads.!
                          And I was being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post
                            The other really bad aspect of these more frequent failures is the unavailability of any usable replacement hytrel ring - rep, gen or aftermarket. Go fish, lol.
                            Mate you have helped me out on many occasions, if you can provide me with some dimensions ill have some in the post to you straight away. Watchmaking isn’t my strong point but i can machine stuff all day long.

Comment

Mate you have helped me out on many occasions, if you can provide me with some dimensions ill have some in the post to you straight away. Watchmaking isn’t my strong point but i can machine stuff all day long.
                              I really appreciate that bro and I had that in mind straight away but I thought I would try to figure something out that others could do with a trip to the sporting goods department of Walmart. I added another layer of protection to the mod by placing a 3M tape ring over the outer edge of the fishline. That stuff is way sticky and strong so that should aid in keeping the line in place. The tape is thin and a second ring is needed to bring the insert to flush. Rotation is not hindered as long as the inner side of the line is free to move within the retaining ring groove. Forcing movement to occur on the inner side is beneficial I think, because there is a physical barrier at the top on that side.

We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
                              GMT Movements Explained
                              BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
                              Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
                              The Fantasy Watch Thread
                              Noob GMT's poor bezel design
                              Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

This is why your the man kj, you can make a stronger better watch with parts from walmart than noob can make using factories in china!

Comment

Working...
                                X