• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compare ARF 116710LN with the VRF 116710LN

wNe

O.G.
27/11/11
occb2

Is the part above posted (3186 657) the correct to fix the problem you mentioned on the rep 3186 movement?

If not maybe you could post the correct number.

Because I would take the VRF.. but you said pinions doesn’t fit gen hands.. so I have to go on the ARF version.

Domisus

Renowned Member
28/3/18
Austria
Thanks for this review! Amazing quality from both manufacturers

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Cranberry2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/19
so for both movements is a service a good choice on the start?

and for the arf combine service a this one part?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
occb2

Is the part above posted (3186 657) the correct to fix the problem you mentioned on the rep 3186 movement?

Because I would take the VRF.. but you said pinions doesn’t fit gen hands.. so I have to go on the ARF version.

Would be curious to know this as well.
Have all the gen parts but still undecided about the base watch because of this

Reactions: supe12sta12z

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
occb2

The part I linked above is claimed to be a replacement for the gen 3186 hour jumping spring. It remains to be seen if it would fit and work in the ARF SH3186, and would be different from the one in the VRF VR3185.

AWHpb.jpg

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
occb2

The VR3185 pinion does take gen hands. My watchmaker just completed a Franken build with gen dial and hands.

Regarding the VR3185, I did a complete service and put in a gen barrel (w/ mainspring), complete autowind module and ratchet wheel. So far so good, running great.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The VR3185 pinion does take gen hands. My watchmaker just completed a Franken build with gen dial and hands.

Regarding the VR3185, I did a complete service and put in a gen barrel (w/ mainspring), complete autowind module and ratchet wheel. So far so good, running great.

I didnt say they didnt fit. They fit fine. But on pressing the hands they should come to rest above the dial. Mine contacted my dial. No a washer would not work on the movement it would had just made less room. I saw someone post that. Anyway. I got a new set of hands coming. I used the hands with the SH3186 and pressed them and cleared the dial perfectly.

I also serviced the VRF. I did it two days ago and have it running now for two days dialing.

I do have a question. Who is your watch smith? I would love to know how he serviced it and dialed it in so fast. I can service a movement in a few hours with the cleaning process and oiling. But how is he timing it? You have to break it in. How did you get it so fast. I, at min, give it 2 days to run as is. Then set up face up and down and left side. Then let run for 24 hour and recheck. Then I build the watch if all is well and put it in a winder for a few days and check again. I can tell you that especially with a rep I have tweek it.

Anyway. All I did for the VR was add real reversing wheels. One was broken. Also I was feeling a slip when winding so I replaced the main spring. That was it. The jumping hour hand and everything is working great. So when my new dial and hands come in I will rebuild my VR case with he VR movement then tackle the ARF and take it apart. Use the scratched dial and real hands and throw in a real bezel and insert and crystal and who knows. Or I may leave the VR as is and just use all the new parts on the ARF and leave the VRF as is.

Both have there plus and minus.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Here is the big difference in a 3185 and 3186. I will first post pics of what makes the hour hand jump on the 3185.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14

There is more. I was just trying to find them on ebay to show pics. But the date plate on the 3186 has another cover that holds parts plus the min wheel with jumper is outside of the date plate. So different designs.

This is why I like the 3185 better. Yes the hands shake a little more but a heck of a lot of less parts.

mpowergmt

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Behind You
I like!!

asking out of curiosity, gen crystal?

is the gen dial a super upgrade?

like you immediately notice there is a huge difference in respect with VRF dial lets say

like for example the gen inserts yes they are a massive upgrade and a must..... but is it the dial?

thanks

mpowergmt

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Behind You
3ebdc93022c824ba18061429e416c7b9.jpg

Franken vrf[/QUOTE

like you immediately notice there is a huge difference in respect with VRF dial lets say

like for example the gen inserts yes they are a massive upgrade and a must..... but is it the dial?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks Rob but I am still undecided. Lol...
I tend to go with ARF. Overall it looks more close to my gen - from what I have seen.

However, will wait for your 3186 tear down and see if a new set of new gen hands will fit without any issues on the 3185 then.
Would be good to know if the eBay part posted above could give more reliability to 3186.

Nonetheless my idea is to wait for ARF Batman, replace all necessary parts by gen LN parts and then be able to switch once I’m in the mood :)

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14

thanks

Not really. The VRF dial is great. The markers are rounded and the font is sharp. ARF is good but in my opinion a little fat and blotchy. Like over printing. Hands. I think the hands need replacing. No 3d effect on either. VRF is a little better than ARF. ARF has a better bezel assembly because it is rolex spec where VRF is glued. Crystal is a must for both watches.

So if you want a nice mix I would recommend
VRF case.
ARF crystal ring and bezel assembly
Rolex crystal
Rolex hands
Rolex dial.... if not VRF dial.
Rolex bezel insert
Rolex date wheel
ARF 97200 bracelet and clasp.
Rolex 704 crown.

At this point that is what I would recommend. I have not messed with the ARF though. The case and stuff is sitting in a sealed container. I am running my SH3186 right now unserviced in the VRF case. I have serviced the VRF and plan once I get the other parts to fix my mistakes. So I do plan on doing two watches with he two watches I have. I'm having fun. I did order two real crystal rings also along with the two crystals. New dial and new hands. It might take a week or two to get everything. Just have to figure out what parts I want to use. What ever is left is going to a friend so he can swap out their noob case.

Reactions: mega12 and KJ2020

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Oh, ok. Is it safe to say then that for a quick and cost-effective out of the box experience, the VRF route with gen insert and crystal as minimum mods is the sensible way, Rob?

Reactions: occb2

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Yes. The ARF looks nice size wise but it is just the bezel. So if you can get an ARF or real bezel assembly that will solve it. Crystal also. The VRF font on the dial and the rounded markers make it very nice compared to a real dial. The hands are ok but real is so much better.

You can get away with just the insert on the VRF but understand that you need to glue it in. It is a bit of a pain. I tried double sided tape and it was a no go. Very odd size. Also understand that you need to align the bezel with the crystal ring notches. So after that is together you need to align the insert, pop out the bezel again and glue it. Gel glue would be good. That is what China is using. But you need to let it dry before reinstalling on crystal ring or you will have glue all over.

I would invest in an ARF bezel assembly and/or a real one. Be safe when you are pressing in the insert so it doesn't crack. That is easy. After install of bezel. Align the arrow to 12/24 hours and slowly go around the edge till the insert starts to go down. Do it evenly. It will eventually seat.

Reactions: KJ2020