• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Rep of GMT Pepsi vintage?

Dreams watch

8/6/13
de5388f333b20cec02a73ecfe51d8842.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
I am looking for one myself, whenever I see one out in the wild I am getting watch fever lolol!!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk Pro

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
This does look nice. Are you modding and adding gen parts?

Dreams watch

8/6/13
No mate I have no expertise in modding. To be honest I reckon its a good rep OTB already!

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
This is Gen.
IMG_3281_zpsd8ef7229.jpeg
de5388f333b20cec02a73ecfe51d8842.jpg

No mate I have no expertise in modding. To be honest I reckon its a good rep OTB already!

I second that. You could get a Clark's/ Gen crystal, Gen spec DWO and case rebrushing at best. I am a GMT noob and the insert & CG's look alright to me.

Would it be possible for you to weigh your BP 16710? Gen weighs 127g.

Attachments

• IMG_3281_zpsd8ef7229.jpeg
    IMG_3281_zpsd8ef7229.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
If you intend to put a gen dial in it, then the 1675 is not a good idea, cheapest gen dial you'll come across will be a service dial/damaged original dial, expect to pay $450 upwards.
The 16710 is slightly better as a rep, closer to the gen (1675 has a crap dial, case is too thick, crown guards are terrible ) gen dials for the 16710 can be found for around $300, but it's not a bad OOTB rep.

I appreciate your info. May I ask a couple of questins regarding the BP 16710?
First, how thick is this one compared to the gen? InTime says 12mm, while Trusty (I know, not a TD in here) says 12,5.
Second, it looks like this model has incorrect handstack, judging from the photos over at Trusty (hard to tell from InTime photos). Can you confirm that?

SmartyPants

18/5/17
The best one you could get is the old 16710 from Noob. I have one of them.

Unfortunately Noob has stopped its production and they've become extremely rare. I also bought a 16710 from BP but it's not even close to what Noob had to offer. Your best bet would be to wait for a possible Pepsi release from JF or to start looking for a Noob.

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
In what ways would you consider the BP inferior to the Noob, @SmartyPants ?
The general feel of it or crystal quality, dial print, case brushing,bezel action, insert print, bracelet feel?

SmartyPants

18/5/17
In what ways would you consider the BP inferior to the Noob, @SmartyPants ?
The general feel of it or crystal quality, dial print, case brushing,bezel action, insert print, bracelet feel?

The biggest issue I have with the BP is that the case feels much thicker and less agile. You can only point out the difference when you have them on your wrist but this flaw makes the BP unusable to me. The difference is enormous.

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Thickness of the Gen is 12.4mm. Any chance you have measured your Noob and BP?

From what I can see in the pictures posted by @SmartyPants , here's what I infer:

BP:
1. Flush SEL on jubilee, as per Gen
2. Bezel scallops are deeper and sharper vs Noob. Both look incorrect as per Gen.
3. Insert font is more Gen-like on the BP. Noob numbers are the wrong font and size, touching the outer edge (incorrect as per Gen), also '8' of 18 is overlapping the red (incorrect as per Gen)
4. Crown height: Correct or at least closer to Gen on the BP. Noob is completely incorrect, both shape and height.
5. CG looks polished on BP, as per Gen vs Brushed on Noob. This could however be because of the lighting.
6. Cyclops magnification looks better on the BP.
7. BP date font is bolder and closer to Gen.
8. Invisible LEC on the BP vs visible LEC on the Noob (incorrect as per Gen)
9. Dial:
  • BP has a better coronet vs larger & incorrect shape one on the Noob.
  • BP has a whiter font and font is same as Gen vs bolder incorrect font on the Noob.
  • BP seems to have overflowing lume on the '9' indice and '10' hour marker vs even lume on the Noob.
  • BP minute track markers are evenly printed and touching the dial edge as per Gen vs unevenly printed on the Noob & not touching the dial edge.
10. Hands
  • ICHS on both models.
  • Incorrect GMT hand on the Noob, longer and thicker than Gen.
  • BP hour & minute hands look curved like Gen vs flat on the Noob.
  • Uglier cannon pinion on the Noob vs better finished CP on the BP.
Image of Gen I have used for reference.
IMG_4029.jpg

SmartyPants

18/5/17

From what I can see in the pictures posted by @SmartyPants , here's what I infer:

BP:
2. Bezel scallops are deeper and sharper vs Noob. Both look incorrect as per Gen.
3. Insert font is more Gen-like on the BP. Noob numbers are the wrong font and size, touching the outer edge (incorrect as per Gen), also '8' of 18 is overlapping the red (incorrect as per Gen)
4. Crown height: Correct or at least closer to Gen on the BP. Noob is completely incorrect, both shape and height.
5. CG looks polished on BP, as per Gen vs Brushed on Noob. This could however be because of the lighting.
9. Dial:
  • BP has a whiter font and font is same as Gen vs bolder incorrect font on the Noob.
  • BP seems to have overflowing lume on the '9' indice and '10' hour marker vs even lume on the Noob.
  • BP minute track markers are evenly printed and touching the dial edge as per Gen vs unevenly printed on the Noob & not touching the dial edge.
10. Hands
  • ICHS on both models.
IMG_4029.jpg

Some great observations, thank you for the effort.

As I said the general look and feel of the Noob is much better. It sits great on the wrist while the BP protrudes when on the wrist. I originally bought the BP to use it as a daily beater but in all honesty it has just been sitting around in the drawer.

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Try a different bracelet on your BP, maybe it'll sit better on the wrist. Perhaps the Oyster or a vintage leather.

Also if possible for you, do measure the thickness on the BP and the Noob.

Sent from the RWI App

SmartyPants

18/5/17
Try a different bracelet on your BP, maybe it'll sit better on the wrist. Perhaps the Oyster or a vintage leather.

Also if possible for you, do measure the thickness on the BP and the Noob.

Sent from the RWI App

If I find the possibility I'll measure it. But right now I lack the tools for that.

domino3d

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/17

BP:
9. Dial:
10. Hands
  • ICHS on both models.
IMG_4029.jpg
man, you have some skills :)

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
The best one you could get is the old 16710 from Noob. I have one of them.

Unfortunately Noob has stopped its production and they've become extremely rare. I also bought a 16710 from BP but it's not even close to what Noob had to offer. Your best bet would be to wait for a possible Pepsi release from JF or to start looking for a Noob.

OK, I have my fingers crossed for a 16710 from JF. Since both the BP and Noob have incorrect handstack, it's a dealbreaker for me. The cartel 1675 is way to thick (a great part of my fascination for the pesi is its sleekness on the wrist). Six digit versions are of course out of the question. Please JF, make a decent version so that I don't have to spend my holiday budget on a gen...