• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob ceramic insert with platinum plating

thrillofhunt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
Would love to see pictures of the BLNR Batman

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thrillofhunt

Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
Why you need to see the BLNR? Seeing the normal GMT is enough, insert will not be changed magically into better quality if PPM is applied :p
Well OP himself has already said the BLNR is a different beast altogether and hes trying to make it look perfect

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Correct me if im wrong, but rep inserts especially on subc, are engraved thinner than gen. One of the usual ways for me to spot a rep is from the 4 digit on the insert but thats if you have a closeup of the watch.

Having this mod, does it create the 'illusion' of fatter engravements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spongebob

8/9/10
I am going to show you guys BLNR insert after mod, it is very horrible.

All the numerals on BLNR insert are engraved roughly, the track inside the groove can be seen by naked eye . The cutout is also not smooth.
IMAG7171_zpskli4avvj.jpg

IMAG7170_zpswxbq5wm1.jpg

IMAG7167_zpsm99qgtdo.jpg

Let us take a look at the digital "6", 2 different kind of surface topography can be observed inside this groove, which is due the inappropriate machining parameter. Noob should fix this issue or it would be a tell forever.
IMAG7168_zpseeqduufm.jpg

This is the numeral on 116710LN insert after mod, these digital are nicely engraved without any track, also the cutout is smooth!
IMAG7297_zpssvhy8jk5.jpg

Powerreserve

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/17
Amsterdam/Firenze/Nurburg
As a sub rookie, I bought my first V6 sub no date last year. At that time, I was satisfied with the quality and wore it often. With a great opportunity, I’ve compared with gen hulk, I’ve found out most parts of this rep are good, but there are still many defects which can get some better works. The most obvious one I noticed is the color of numbers on the ceramic insert. The index digital color on gen is metal luster, but rep is too dark, moreover, the rep’s index digital’s surface is very rough compared to gen. Another tell is that the sharp edge on rep index, the edge on gen is chamfered and it looks very stereoscopic. So I was thinking about the way to get these better, after researching, I’ve found some experts who is able to mod index by liquid painting, but the edge is still too sharp not round. Last December, a bright idea occurred in my mind, why not try to do a REAL WORK which is plating platinum on the insert? Then here is my result.....

I collect some noob v7 inserts to test my idea. The plating material is 99.99% platinum and it would be coated on top of my inserts. After a few experiments, I got the best result. Some photos are taken to present as followings. As you can see, here are gen, my work and without modded insert (stock) under different light condition for comparison.

Gen Hulk say hi to everybody.
DSC_2634_zpsfhzn7zvo.jpg

Comparison between gen, modded and V7 insert under sunlight

Modded insert on the top.
sunlight1_zpsloxfozqb.jpg

Gen / my modded insert / V7 stock insert.
1_zpsh2om4czd.jpg

Comparing to these 3 inserts, the index color on stock V7 insert is more grayish and it is a known issue that it is getting darker after several weeks usage. My work - platinum plated one is closed to gen (see the mark "50" and "20").

Since I don't have rep hulk, I put this green insert onto my sub no date, this index works for me except the dark green color lol......

DSC_2665_zpsxnulxrir.jpg

Comparison under different light condition

These photos were taken under different light condition, the color is closed to gen after my platinum modification.

Under fluorescent light:
DSC_2631_zpsexir78xh.jpg

Under yellow light:
IMAG6335_zpsjlun4wmc.jpg

Both of color on the insert scale are closed to each other whichever different light was applied.

Marco view after mod
2_zpszqiizvru.jpg

Before plating, the surface inside the groove is rough (more grain can be observed, please see the V7 stock). The platinum coated index looks much more smoothly and might even more better than gen? Will double confirm that.

Edge smoothing mod
3_zps9kfpzygt.jpg

During the mod process, I realized that the Noob ceramic is able to be machined, so some abrasive was applied to chamfer the edge. The smoothing test was tested on my rep GMT master II inserts and the result is brilliant. (the index color on this smoothed insert is incorrect, please ignore it.)

Fine piece of craftsmanship.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Mosse

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
6/9/15
result is amazing

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

domsdaddy123

Patron
Certified
6/8/15
Bikini bottom?
http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Bikini_Bottom

I will never remove or adjust the pearl, don't want to crack the triangle again....lol

Ok..so if you dont remove the pearl, are you able to do the softening of the edge on the triangle? The pearl is right up on it, how can you get in there to round/soften it without taking out the pearl? Also does the coating go on ok with the pearl still there?

Last question, can you perform this with gold instead of platinum? In order to do TT or all gold Ceramic subs.

I just want to say that you are the last piece of the puzzle for repping ceramic subs! You are sitting on a gold mine here brother!

kdo2milger

17/3/06
Why you need to see the BLNR? Seeing the normal GMT is enough, insert will not be changed magically into better quality if PPM is applied :p
The difference is in the 6 an 18 on the BLNR. You can view it on any TD's site, pic below for ref.
Basically the 6, for example, I will use since it is most prominent in it, half of the six is darker than the other half.
So pictures just allow us to see if the PPM process is enough to blend both sides to be evenly colored, which I suspect it will, however pis help to visually solidify my decision on whether or not to buy the new CHS GMT Batman.
Hope you get it now ;)
The earlier version before CHS has a different insert, it is a known issue in the new insert.

IMG_8656-3.jpg

Spongebob

8/9/10
Ok..so if you dont remove the pearl, are you able to do the softening of the edge on the triangle? The pearl is right up on it, how can you get in there to round/soften it without taking out the pearl? Also does the coating go on ok with the pearl still there?

Last question, can you perform this with gold instead of platinum? In order to do TT or all gold Ceramic subs.

I just want to say that you are the last piece of the puzzle for repping ceramic subs! You are sitting on a gold mine here brother!

Yes, i can do the edge softening without removing the pearl, just need a proper tool!

I will do the gold plating 1 or 2 months later, lack of budget at the moment.

Alcander

19/6/13
An impeccable work and an in-depth report.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

Mosse

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
6/9/15
@smoke sorry bro, but Sa3135 can take a gen datewheel ? thank!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Spongebob

8/9/10
The difference is in the 6 an 18 on the BLNR. You can view it on any TD's site, pic below for ref.
Basically the 6, for example, I will use since it is most prominent in it, half of the six is darker than the other half.
So pictures just allow us to see if the PPM process is enough to blend both sides to be evenly colored, which I suspect it will, however pis help to visually solidify my decision on whether or not to buy the new CHS GMT Batman.
Hope you get it now ;)
The earlier version before CHS has a different insert, it is a known issue in the new insert.

IMG_8656-3.jpg

I will try to make a thick layer inside the groove, if it works, the roughness will be decreased. But this might cause the shallow engraving compare to the stock insert.