• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The perfect Daytona build part 2 (Pic heavy and comparaison with gen)

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
—UPDATED with gen case, new pics on page 5–

Well I guess this is the Perfect Daytona part 2 :)

I got my name on the list for a Gen black 116500 at my AD, and I thought, why not do a build with the CF until I get the lucky call.

We based it on the CF mainly because the case is a better start out point, and you can achieve a result that’s closer to the gen case shape.

I knew going in, that if I where to enjoy this build in rotation with my gen Rolex collection I would need something as “flawless” as possible. So, yes, we went a bit nuts with gen parts on this build. This was definitely not done on a budget :)

Let’s me run you through the build, and the changes we did. (Every single surface of this watch was worked over)

CASE: As said before, the case is a better base compared to NOOB, but we still had to work on every surface to get as close to the gen shape as possible. That included lapping the case, correcting lug angle and sharpness, correcting case flank curvature and lug thicknesses with a smooth, elegant and perfect surface finish. The result is as close as you can get with a rep case. (Next level would have been a gen case) Fun fact: We had 3 different CF watches for this project, and there are 2 different version of CF cases. One with very thin lugs, and the version we used. (Lugs are still a bit to thin on the left side, but way better than the other one) Lugs on both version of cases is a tiny bit to short, and that is why the SEL recess is not a 100 % correct. —— UPDATE —— I got my hands on a gen case, so I of course had to do the change :) even though I liked the reworked CF case, a gen just takes it to the next level :) Updated pics on page 5.

REHAUT: It looked pretty good from the factory, but we did a full polish of the rehaut for a brilliant luster / rainbow effect like the gen. (The letters line up perfectly on this one, and the engraving/laser is very nicely done)

PUSHERS / CROWN: The pusher construction is complete fantasy (See pic below, gen on the left) and we decided to go with gen pushers. They did not fit the case, so new treads had to be cut. The crown is pretty high quality, but as most of you know, the 3 dots are not in the correct shape/line so we had to go gen on the crown as well.

DIAL: The overall quality of the black CF dial is pretty good, but the fat subdials are a joke. And since none of the other factories produce a good black dial (We looked at Buff, Noob and ARF v1) there was just no compromise for me on this very essential part… We had to go gen! And boy was that a good decision, that dial just makes the watch.

HANDS: Well buff/CF hands are nicer than Noob, but they are not even close to gen, so we of course went with gen hands as well. (Putting rep hands on a gen dial, should be a punishable offence)

BEZEL: CF latest bezel is as good as it gets. Between this one and the other factories there is no doubt. In sunlight it is very close to the gen, but in indoor light the numbers are slightly more muted, and the gens black surface has a bit more luster to it. Something you would only notice when its next to a gen. I did not see a strong enough difference here to get a gen bezel. (Fun fact: the CF bezel will not fit on a gen crystal gasket, so use the CF gasket. We leaned that the hard way, with a cracked bezel)

CRYSTAL: CF crystal is the best rep crystal we have seen for a Daytona, but the edges are still slightly different on a gen, and since we are already balls deep in this build, Yep we went with a gen crystal.

CASEBACK: The polished part of the caseback is too big, so we brushed that down to the correct size/diameter.

BRACELET / CLASP: Hands down the best Daytona bracelet I’ve seen in terms of fit, quality and polish/brush. We smoothed out the backside, and rounded out the overall edges for a gen look and feel. The clasp functions and sounds like a gen.

MOVEMENT: Quality is on the same level as the Noobs, the movement of course received a full strip down and service, and it runs butter smooth with a 1 sec a day gain.

FINAL CONCLUSION: CF did a very nice job on this release, and it is by far the best out the box Daytona ever released. The details on the white dial are VERY good, subdial size is perfect. BUT the white color is too white with an almost gray/blue hue to it. The black dial is unusable due to the fat subdials. Most people would probably be happy to wear this watch with out mods and think that I’m an absolute lunatic. But hay, its my watch and I know what I need to enjoy it.

Let me know if you have any questions, below are a fuckton of pics form the work process, parts assembly and final result with my white dial Gen.

No, I’m not going to take any more pics from your weird OCD angle and no, the watch is not for sale and won’t be until I get a call from my AD :)

Thanks for reading

Here is the link to my Noob build: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-rep-pic-heavy

Before and After
jML0Co.jpg

Work and parts
jMLc7S.jpg
jMLVrW.jpg
jMLJLP.jpg
jMLbGJ.jpg
jMeD3Q.jpg
jMejwR.jpg
jMezc8.jpg
jMeZyL.jpg
jMeHmK.jpg
jMeKCv.jpg
jMehS1.jpg
jMeAej.jpg
jMeLr4.jpg

Gen vs CF pushers
jMeeEI.jpg

Final result vs my white dial gen. I tried to do as many angles as possible in different lighting conditions. In the pics where you cant see the dial, the Gen is always on top.
jMeicb.jpg
jMeWyX.jpg
jMeU3c.jpg
jMea4i.jpg
jMeqP5.jpg
jMeomp.jpg
jMeISF.jpg
jMeYet.jpg
jMenHn.jpg
jMe1EE.jpg
jMeyt2.jpg
jMe613.jpg
jMe84s.jpg
jMeBoD.jpg
jMergY.jpg
jMeQPk.jpg
jMel0o.jpg
jMeCeJ.jpg
jMePtP.jpg
jMeTNW.jpg
jMe4gR.jpg
jMedHS.jpg
jMewML.jpg
jMek1Q.jpg
jMev0v.jpg
jMeE51.jpg
jMeuTK.jpg
jMeso8.jpg
jMeNBj.jpg
jMeRN4.jpg
jMeFKI.jpg
jMeSMX.jpg
jMeG1c.jpg
jMebDi.jpg

Last edited:

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Thank you for taking the time to do this :notworthy:

Reactions: 2841

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
Thank you a very informative article. I think you may have bought the dial from a friend of mine (SC) in the UK - I was sorely tempted and should have been a bit more proactive! Congratulations, you have certainly made good use of it.

Reactions: jcher and 2841

zadam6`19

Looking Around
5/4/21
Wow Amazing! Is it rude to ask how much money did all these gen parts cost if you were to add them all up.

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
Great comparison mate , i have frankened my CF by adding gen crystal , 116500 dial and gen hands. Looking for further upgrades and considering a gen Ceramic crystal ! Is it worth paying 4k usd for a gen ceramic?

bfb7e995fbe46eae6d3b8b9f1fa1cc82.jpg

162000f424c1b9580ca800eada80331b.jpg

573004cb45bee34c16aaa02e19be6fd7.jpg

e89a43f6c574c325eb34067882104550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket14

Known Member
22/9/21
Absolutely stunning result, I’m sure you’re rightly very proud of them. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

:applause:

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Well done bro ,ultra sharp pictures and everything is perfectly visible, cf daytona very nice watch overral
yes the bracelet is amazing really feels and looks amazing after baby bath..
thanks bro again for your precious time

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Great comparison mate , i have frankened my CF by adding gen crystal , 116500 dial and gen hands. Looking for further upgrades and considering a gen Ceramic crystal ! Is it worth paying 4k usd for a gen ceramic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion no, i dont think the gen bezel would add enough value to the build considering the prices they go for. Do a case reshape and gen pushers / crown will give you a lot more visuel difference, and bang for your buck :)

Temple

Watches, Weights & Protein shakes
Supporter
Certified
12/2/18
UK
Great job, what an absolute beauty!. Very informative and interesting write-up too . Loving the fun facts :thumbup:

Pizzo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/19
amazing comparison, thanks! a question: do you think the depth (height) of the rehaut is equal to gen?

Nanook

Horology Curious
9/9/10
I bet you'll wear that with more pride than any Gen or Rep. Super.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Casework is brilliant. You added all the right parts to make this pretty much indistinguishable from gen. Such a beautiful result, congrats!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Casework is brilliant. You added all the right parts to make this pretty much indistinguishable from gen. Such a beautiful result, congrats!

Thanks KJ, appreciate it :) And yeah, my watchmaker is brilliant:)