• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CLEAN Factory 124060 No Date Submariner New Release

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
keisuke_z - very helpful, thank you :thumbsup:

It's likely to be my next watch, so I appreciate the time you took to document your observations and the detail you've gone into.

Have the CF114060 and it's one of my favourites, so am excited to see how the 124060 stacks up.

Last edited:
Reactions: keisuke_z and Tobel

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
keisuke_z - very helpful, thank you :thumbsup:

It's likely to be my next watch, so I appreciate the time you took to document your observations and the detail you've gone into.

Have the CF114060 and it's one of my favourites, so am excited to see how the 124060 stacks up.

It's the closest to gen sub you can get imo,order it at CNY to get a little discount also

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
fdd36a251ed3932788175633ef80c624.jpg

Same SEL issue as VSF.

Last edited:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Means nothing - this is the factory that used to have 904 stickers on their watches.

I meant in case they aren't there anymore then that might prove something has changed.

If they are there then yes its anybody's guess.

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
Wonder do these still have the ARF sticker on them.

No, the bracelet came with the “Clean” sticker by the SEL and is just wrapped in the clear protective thick film. There were no ARF stickers anywhere on mine before I removed all the protective stickers.

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Just picked one up and a couple of bits not mentioned before I think. Firstly (unsurprisingly) the lugs are stamped 126610 which doesn't bother me at all as will always be on a bracelet.

Biggest disappointment is the bezel action which is not on the same level as VSF 126610. There is some play and it requires very little effort to turn. I'm not sure if longer springs will help. Lume on the hands is also weaker than the dial, again VSF was better on this.

The rehaut is better aligned than VSF, Sels as mentioned early are a little flush and the crystal gasket would benefit from being replaced with a clear version.

My example is very well regulated with good amplitude in all positions, almost no beat error and very accurate. Overall very pleased.
20220111-134722.jpg

20220111-135334.jpg

Last edited:

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
Just picked one up and a couple of bits not mentioned before I think. Firstly (unsurprisingly) the lugs are stamped 126610 which doesn't bother me at all as will always be on a bracelet.

Biggest disappointment is the bezel action which is not on the same level as VSF 126610. There is some play and it requires very little effort to turn. I'm not sure if longer springs will help. Lume on the hands is also weaker than the dial, again VSF was better on this.

The rehaut is better aligned than VSF, Sels as mentioned early are a little flush and the crystal gasket would benefit from being replaced with a clear version.

My example is very well regulated with good amplitude in all positions, almost no beat error and very accurate. Overall very pleased.
20220111-134722.jpg

20220111-135334.jpg

Does it look like the Crystal gasket has improved mate? Also how’s the bezel teeth vs vsf, vsf seemed to have a very gen like polish to center of teeth vs clean.

Reactions: nom_deplume

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Is the serial number the same for every watch for this model? Or are there some digits or letters that repeat itself like for the VSF S19 / S29?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

Dial structure on the CF is identical to gen and it snaped perfectly into place on my gen 3230 movement. I suspect the CF/VR movement is 3135 based as its winding stem is for 3135 and not 32xx. I've not had the movement apart.

My 3230 movement came with dial plate B which is for OP watches. I had to source and swap to a dial plate C for submariner.

When removing the hands the seconds hand pipe separated from the hand. It's happened to me before and it's a relatively painless repair with a staking set.

The CF bezel was so loose I could almost breath on it and move it (exaggeration). Once removed there was a ton of grease under it which I cleaned off. I stretched the springs about 20% which put a perfect crisp tension on the bezel.

A gen crystal was also added. The difference between the gen and CF crystal is that the CF has a secondary bevel at the very top, where the gen (and VS) crystal only has a single slope. This secondary bevel at the top isn't horrible, but once it was pointed out to me I could easily see how the gen shows less of the white top of the gasket and reveals the indices and minute marks instead. This is really nit picking as the CF crystal is certainly acceptable.

A VS 126610 bracelet snapped easily into place. No improvement though. It's still nearly flush with the lugs. NEARLY, not flush, and so is a gen. I will probably rework the CF bracelet and see if I can get more definition with the center part of the SELs. I don't think it's needed and will be for my own entertainment.

I haven't compared the CF and VSF case insides, but the outsides look identical to me. I see no difference. Some of you eagle eyed savants might, but they look like they came from the same factory to me.

Other observations:

The gen movement requires larger size case screws. None of the dozens I have will fit and I had to rob some from a VS3235.
The VR stem does not fit the gen 3230 as stated above. It's for 3135 not 32xx.
There were several pieces of debris left from when the case was threaded for the crown tube. I'm glad I saw it and removed it. Maybe a half dozen pieces hanging on by a thread and some loose ones floating around inside.
The VR movement runs really well with a robust amplitude, unlike some of the 3135s I've had on the bench which seem to keep a lower amplitude.

ladygeek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/21
How to make a gen crystal for a 124060 project in 6 easy steps.

1.) Get a gen 126610 crystal.
2.) Drink a shot of your favorite liquor (per KJ's suggestion).
3.) Pray to the watch gods that this stupid risk will work.
4.) Light your propane torch.
5.) Heat crystal and remove cyclops and clean off remaining UV glue with acetone.
6.) Drink another shot to celebrate not ruining anything.

Haha. Brilliant. Lot of guts too.

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
The CF bezel was so loose I could almost breath on it and move it (exaggeration). Once removed there was a ton of grease under it which I cleaned off. I stretched the springs about 20% which put a perfect crisp tension on the bezel.

Genius! I never thought about just stretching the springs. I’m gonna try that once I muster up the courage to pry the bezel off lol. Always afraid I’ll crack the insert!

*edit* tried it tonight and wow - I’m amazed at what a difference just stretching the springs makes!! And 20% seems to be the perfect amount too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: eddie22h

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Genius! I never thought about just stretching the springs. I’m gonna try that once I muster up the courage to pry the bezel off lol. Always afraid I’ll crack the insert!

*edit* tried it tonight and wow - I’m amazed at what a difference just stretching the springs makes!! And 20% seems to be the perfect amount too. Thanks!

Glad to hear it worked! unlike vsf bezel work, was drama free and no damaged hytrel ring.

Reactions: keisuke_z