• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Read Timegrapher Results!

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I have had a few member reaching out in regards to the timegraph and how to read it. Repost from RWG.

Beat Number

Frequency, the vibration of a movement. The number of balance wheel swings per hour or how many times the watch ticks per hour. This is a preset, depends on the watch you order.

14,400 bph = 4 beats per second

18,000 bph = 5 beats per second

21,600 bph = 6 beats per second

28,800 bph = 8 beats per second

etc

Lift angel

The angle the balance passes through while interacting with the pallet fork. Important to be set correctly in order to calculate the Amplitude. This preset is per caliber specs.

Most modern watches have a lift angle of 50 - 52 degrees. Generally lift angles range from 44 to 58 degrees. Some other settings are present, for instance Gen co-axials angle is 30 degrees.

Results

Rate

How fast / slow the movement runs (in seconds per day)

great : +/- 5 s/d

acceptable : +/- 12 s/d

If higher / lower?

It is possible to adjust this yourself or ask your dealer to nudge it a bit.

Amplitude

The measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction.

Amplitude is higher when a watch is lying flat and usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, due to increased friction. Amplitude can also fall as the watch winds down and the mainspring delivers less power.

Amplitude is a good indicator of the movements health and if is too high or too low, or that changes too much in different positions, can indicate a problem with the movement.

great : 270-310

acceptable : 250-270

If higher / lower?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced

Beat Error

The amount of time by which the duration of swing differs from one side to the other in the oscillation of a balance wheel. Generally speaking to get a beat error of zero, the roller jewel in the pallet fork must be perfectly centered.

great : 0.0-0.5 ms

acceptable : 0.6-1 ms

If higher?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced.

* Please note that if you are reading your QC from the dealer, you will generally receive only the results of the watch lying flat. All the above recommended measurements are from that position. The measurements in other positions may vary

https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Thanks for this, very helpful ???????? I had some idea but at least it’s written and can refer to it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Thanks for this, very helpful ???????? I had some idea but at least it’s written and can refer to it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its nice to understand how to read it. I once rejected a perfect watch due the time graph.

Reactions: stufuse

DanlMason

Horology Curious
30/8/18
I have had a few member reaching out in regards to the timegraph and how to read it. Repost from RWG.

Beat Number

Frequency, the vibration of a movement. The number of balance wheel swings per hour or how many times the watch ticks per hour. This is a preset, depends on the watch you order.

14,400 bph = 4 beats per second

18,000 bph = 5 beats per second

21,600 bph = 6 beats per second

28,800 bph = 8 beats per second

etc

Lift angel

The angle the balance passes through while interacting with the pallet fork. Important to be set correctly in order to calculate the Amplitude. This preset is per caliber specs.

Most modern watches have a lift angle of 50 - 52 degrees. Generally lift angles range from 44 to 58 degrees. Some other settings are present, for instance Gen co-axials angle is 30 degrees.

Results

Rate

How fast / slow the movement runs (in seconds per day)

great : +/- 5 s/d

acceptable : +/- 12 s/d

If higher / lower?

It is possible to adjust this yourself or ask your dealer to nudge it a bit.

Amplitude

The measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction.

Amplitude is higher when a watch is lying flat and usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, due to increased friction. Amplitude can also fall as the watch winds down and the mainspring delivers less power.

Amplitude is a good indicator of the movements health and if is too high or too low, or that changes too much in different positions, can indicate a problem with the movement.

great : 270-310

acceptable : 250-270

If higher / lower?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced

Beat Error

The amount of time by which the duration of swing differs from one side to the other in the oscillation of a balance wheel. Generally speaking to get a beat error of zero, the roller jewel in the pallet fork must be perfectly centered.

great : 0.0-0.5 ms

acceptable : 0.6-1 ms

If higher?

Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced.

* Please note that if you are reading your QC from the dealer, you will generally receive only the results of the watch lying flat. All the above recommended measurements are from that position. The measurements in other positions may vary

https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/

Cracking post thank you!

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
I just checked my already accepted qc photos, luckily all very good, phew! Thanks for the post as i asked what they meant once but nobody replied

TexasRow

Horology Curious
24/10/19
Hello all-
Has anyone noticed a difference in the amplitude for a hand wound movement vs an automatic?
Thanks

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Amplitude has less to do with type of movement and more to do with how well the mainspring, gear train, and escapement are operating....all common to both automatics and manual winds.

Watch doc

Horology Curious
Supporter
Certified
10/3/22
I had a amplitude of 321and accuracy of-6s/d on a vsf submariner was wondering if that should be rejected

Space Man

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/22
Houston, Texas
Thank you for this.
I just received a QC for a Daytona with a 278 amplitude.
I know 300+ is a standard for a genuine Swiss Made timepiece, but I had no idea what an acceptable amplitude reading is for a Made In China replica watch.

Stevex2

Looking Around
5/11/21
Hi Does anyone know what these figures refer too. This image was included in my QC pictures, but I cannot make sense of them

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Hi Does anyone know what these figures refer too. This image was included in my QC pictures, but I cannot make sense of them

It means you have a reliable movement!

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
I once heard from a Rolex watch guy that the graph should run perfectly horizontal. But he was using a witchi…perhaps they work differently.

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Great post. Perhaps the most technically useful and informative post I've read here. My understanding of watch internals is limited but give some numbers, tell me how to read them, and a chart to make comparisons, and I'm good! Thanks!

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
zL62kb.jpg
It means you have a reliable movement!

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
Thank you, OP. Very helpful information!

unclebg

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
22/9/20
Are the following Timgrapher readings acceptable for the Clean Yacht Master?

Rate -3s/d
Amp. 317
Err 0.0ms
Lift 55.0

Isn't the Amp on the high side at 317?