• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first build, a Rolex 1680 superfranken, how did I do?

RWIuser88

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/3/18
Looking for feedback on the look of my first build. Please keep all posts on topic. Trying to keep a positive and useful thread.

Gen Service Dial, with functioning luminova, gen insert, crystal, 1575 movement.
All other parts sourced from ebay
I spent many many hours aging the case and getting the lugs and crown guards to what I now think are perfect.
I used a nail set to add "bracelet impression marks" in the back of the case, which I think look perfect.
I had to hog out some material to get the dial to fit properly, so it doesn't look so great inside the case, but you can't tell from outside.

I'm not completely satisfied yet with the polish finish I have on the sides, and would like to source a thicker bezel, as I think this one feels a bit thin (but the gen insert snaps in place securely well)

What do you guys think about this build? Any flaws you can see?

sWhPAwi.jpg

JbzwUZ0.jpg

te1pSID.jpg

RDhmflR.jpg

IjoCeos.jpg

yrb0C8x.jpg

Last edited:

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
The crownguards

lqdbEsL.jpg

VX1uHJk.jpg

The spring bars are also Gen ;-)

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I like lume...

qz615Jo.jpg

Last edited:

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Why would there be superluminova on a gen dial?

"Please keep all posts on topic."?

Somehow this post raises some questionmarks for me...

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Thank you for your comments ;-)

WOw, over 100 views and zero finding any flaws.

I think this means that, barring any detailed comments, that I have achieved a 100% accurate rep, yes? no? A lack of any negative findings leaves me thinking this is then seen as 100% right on.

I used the 5513 Mysharona build as my guide as to the look of the aging. I think he nailed the 40 year old aged look perfectly, which truly is an art, and gave me the example that it can be done, perfectly, with perfect functioning of all parts. I now understand how lonnnnnng it takes to get the lugs and crown guards correct. Little by little as it is easier to remove material than to put it back ;-)

Really, if anyone can find any flaw with the look of the watch, the shape of the lugs, etc, please say so, otherwise I'm left thinking I nailed it 100% perfect my first try at building a watch.

I wanted to post it here so as to give everyone an opportunity to find any flaws I might have missed.

Sure nothing fits just right out of the box, and I had to make some mods for things to fit properly, but it all went together and functions perfectly after 4-5 rounds of fixing minor things.

This building and modding is not that difficult. I suggest more people try it and don't be afraid, and don't listen to the paper tigers who say it is too hard to try it.

Rather than just continue the useless banter back and forth, I simply got off my rear and put my money where my mouth is and just tried my own ground up build to see how difficult it was. There were some challenges, but nothing too difficult. Really, I encourage more people to try it themselves.

I'm off today to see if I can get this pressure tested and expecting it will pass.

Last edited:

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
I still don't understand how there is superluminova on a gen dial... (you deleted that info)

And I never seen anyone post a watch he made himself with a gen movement... without showing the movement...

The watch reminds me a bit of your closed sale with the yodog 1680 redsub you just failed to sale.

Maybe you want to share a picture of the movement. I would really love to see a beautiful 1575!

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I still don't understand how there is superluminova on a gen dial... (you deleted that info)

And I never seen anyone post a watch he made himself with a gen movement... without showing the movement...

Maybe you want to share a picture of the movement. I would really love to see a beautiful 1575!

To answer your luminova question directly, in a kind fashion, some service dials came with luminova and say only "swiss" at the bottom. You can verify this easily if you wish online or by calling an AD.

Per your request, here is a pic of the 1570 (1575) movement running at +/- 0 seconds on the meter today. It runs +/-2 seconds in different positions, but in this position it was spot on.

A 1575 is a 1570, but with the date function added.
A851Pij.png

This build went together easy enough, with some challenges, but nothing that was not overcomable. Like I said before, nothing just falls together out of the box.

I would hope that maybe my having done it might encourage others to try for themselves. This bezel now spins properly and holds in the gen insert as a gen bezel would, and that only took a little bit of undercutting on the front under lip of the bezel because, as usual, it came not exactly the right size to fit a gen insert, the fix was obvious and easy enough, as were the other required mods. Crown threads properly, and the gen movement runs very well within spec. I am pleased to report it passed the 6 atm pressure test today

I think it is safe to say that this build was a complete success. Everything works like a gen would, all done at home, except for regulating the movement since I don't have a timing machine. The AP overly fat rep in the photo is not mine...

Last edited:

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
For the several requests of what abrasive tool was used to get the insert to snap into place, here are a few photos. I think I got these years ago from MSC, but they should be available pretty much everywhere.

4rth tool from the left. Reverse pyramid diamond grinder.

PYWojNB.jpg

It came in this pack:
EfDs9oE.jpg

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Since I'm not completely satisfied with the look of the finish of the case, I have decided to do a full polish on the case. I think I have found the right 3m abrasive impregnated bristle disks that will give the exact same look as the Rolex machines.

Interesting PMs flying around back channel on this one.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Here it is now polished.

Now it basically looks new. Still has thick enough lugs, but not too thick, so I think it is still very believable.

What do you think?

Good-Bad-Ugly?

MdvkpJ1.jpg

IvHUffM.jpg

hx0x3W1.jpg

0v4nUts.jpg

CtwtMvu.jpg

xyfF0XC.jpg

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
yes, photos taken with my low grade smart phone camera.

I think I picked a bit too fine a grit for the brushed top of the lugs, will re do with a slightly lower grit next time.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Very nice build user88! Could you give us some specs on the case/bezel assembly? I see the crown position is correct and fits gen movement could this be phong?

thanks mate keep up the good work, oh and i think the brushed lugs are perfect no need for stronger grit :drinks_cheers:

Reactions: RWIuser88

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I was led to believe it was a "same source as Phong" case and bezel.

The higher quality gen parts made the build easier than I expected, even easier than it seemed hoped.

Last edited:

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Why would anyone hope you would have a hard time? This is a board of hobbyists that enjoy to share their results in a humble way and hope each for everyone to have fun and experience love for their passion. It is all about pleasure and leisure. Strangely there is so much anger to be felt here.

PS: It is always easier to work with high quality gen parts. That is why the service of a rep watch costs mostly as much as the watch and it is much more respected to shape a case yourself then just put perfect parts together. A phong spec case needs hardly anything done if you use gen parts. That is not modding, this is assembling. Buing a 1680 from HQMilton also is not considered modding. Maybe this is why your thread lacks feedback and it is mostly you op posting here man. (And it is the wrong forum section)

Last edited:

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Why would anyone hope you would have a hard time? This is a board of hobbyists that enjoy to share their results in a humble way and hope each for everyone to have fun and experience love for their passion. It is all about pleasure and leisure. Strangely there is so much anger to be felt here.

PS: It is always easier to work with high quality gen parts. That is why the service of a rep watch costs mostly as much as the watch and it is much more respected to shape a case yourself then just put perfect parts together. A phong spec case needs hardly anything done if you use gen parts. That is not modding, this is assembling. Buing a 1680 from HQMilton also is not considered modding. Maybe this is why your thread lacks feedback and it is mostly you op posting here man. (And it is the wrong forum section)

It appears you are suggesting two contradictory things in your post:
1. I bought a gen from HQ Milton and am passing it off as my own build.

or

2. I, as you put it, "assembled a watch" from higher quality rep parts, which, according to you is not "respectable"

You must realize that it can't be both.

So, why this line of questioning from you? Your suggestion that it is either 1 or 2 are coming from entirely opposite directions, but appear to have the same and sole aim of discrediting the build. This shogun approach of coming at this from opposite sides does not conceal your intent, it exposes it. When one looks at what you were aiming at from both positions you fired from, the common intersecting point of aim becomes unmistakable. Is there any other possible motivation, other than a desire to discredit this build, that would be congruent with your posting two possible, but completely opposite accusations you just posted??

What motivated you to post this? Why do you feel the need to wildly attempt to discredit the build? Inquiring minds want to know, I want to know.
You started by suggesting there was a problem with the lume being present-which was incorrect
Then you suggested maybe it did not have a gen movement because of lack of photo-which was incorrect
Then you suggested I might be trying to pass of a gen as my own build- also incorrect
Then you suggested my build was only a build- which is correct. So your batting average is "not good"
Still, what is your motivation. Why the desire to throw shade?

Your 2 opposite lines of attack are congruent with your statement of the anger you feel here. Given the evidence of the post history, it appears you are the one in this thread who brought in angry feelings. Do you need a hug?

I will directly address your Buying a 1680 from HQ Milton thoery?
By saying "Really?"
"Ho Ho, Very funny, Hah hah, it is to laugh." from the immortal DD
That is high praise indeed!

Just to be clear, it sounds like you are accusing me of buying a genuine high priced (well vetted added value) watch at HQ milton, then passing it off as my own, right? High praise indeed.

Please post a pic of my watch compared to any sales from HQ milton. You do know they post photos? Right? so I challenge you to back up this claim by posting photos of what you claim was a gen HQ purchase. Surely you know that any dents, scratches, etc would be like unique fingerprints and would VERY very easily prove your case.

Now you have to either back up your claim with photos or if not, the default is that you admit your HQ Milton theory was just a wild ass swing and a miss. You do know that HQ Miltons prices are a bit on the high side, yes? So you are saying I am really rich?? Is this your idea of an insult? Hah-that guy is so Rich he shops at HQ Milton for his Rolexes, yeah I burned him good with that line! If you intended this as an insult, that would not have been very nice. Imagine someone treating you this way, they could say something reallly mean like- That dude is soo rich, I bet he drives a Bently, or, I bet he owns like 4 houses, I mean ouch! How would you feel if this was directed at you? Remember the golden rule.

Then there is the assertion that my build is only a build. Which, um, is all I said it was...

I only said this was my first "build". I did not claim to have cast or fabricated any or all the parts myself. Seems you are suggesting it is only respectable to call it a build if you only use crap parts that are built to low quality tolerances that don't fit, then glue them together. I expect a quality watch to function correctly, the bezel should turn, the crown should thread, it should pass a 6 atm pressure test. $500 reps pass these criteria every day. I said this was my first build, I did not claim to have cast the metal and made every part from scratch. I said build, which basically means assemble and slightly modify a part here and there to make fit and function properly. I bet you can't show me even a single thread on this forum that go beyond that for anyone's first build. Anyway, that was not my claim. I did have to remove material from inside the case to make the dial fit in place, and I did have to remove some material in the channel of the bezel to get my insert to "snap" into place. This, on this board, does qualify as "modding." And if you research, I am the first on this site to properly shape this bezel channel to fit a gen insert. If you read in my for sale thread that you referred to earlier-you will find some other "modders" told me to simply accept that the lower quality bezels cannot accept gen inserts-which I proved to be incorrect by my now having done it. It was simply the wrong size (too small and wrong shape channel) so I simply re shaped the channel to have the bias to hold the insert in rather than pushing it out. So easy- after I showed them how.

There is plenty of feedback (more private than public) from people on this thread who say nice build.
If you re-read, or even read for the first time, from the beginning, you will see there are several positive comments about this build. Seems you are the only one so far with a bee in their bonnet about this build. You questioned the legitimacy of the dial, suggested this was a purchased gen watch from HQ, then suggested nothing of value has been accomplished here.

I suggest you go make your own watch, then report back how easy it was, as I did.
Let me say that again, "As I did"

There is still a giveaway on this watch that tells it is likely a rep, but no one has found it yet and I'm not telling yet.

Last edited: