• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBK Bangkok Review

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
UPDATE in late 2018
Well as it stands I wouldn't recommend MBK for replicas at all these days. The shops mentioned below have mostly closed shop after the renovations were done. And the only place where you could get anything is M&M. Which isn't worth much
to be honest. Their prices are close to 220USD for something you could get at a dealer for 130-150usd here.

Hi Guys,
just thought to post a review on my recent trip to Thailand, MBK.
Most members should be familiar with MBK, as such, this might probably be more useful for new members in the rep scene.

444 Phayathai Road
Bangkok
Pathumwan 10330,
Thailand

Nearest BTS Station: National Stadium
mbkbkk_zps86ab5e26.jpg

MBK is known for offering a large range of replica products; a good mixture of electronics, replica branded leather goods and most importantly, rep watches.
Despite over 2,000 shops, I was hard pressed to find anything to the quality of what our trusted dealers offer to us.
However, there are hidden gems if you know where to look for it.

Some shops which I managed to check out include;

Nah Piek (Level 1), near the escalator
Famous for their MBW Rolex years ago.
Despite what some reviews mentioned 3 months prior to my visit, Nah Piek did stock some relatively good reps.
I managed to browse through a AP FC Diver, a Milgauss Rolex and a range of Panerais (390 and 111)

Despite the impatience most members are familiar with, I must say that Nah Piek takes care of their watches extremely well.
The condition of their reps are well kept and polished.When I arrived at the scene, there were two customers, a local and foreigner.

Had to wait for about 30 minutes before being served as I didn't want to disturb the haggling.

Was quoted 18,000 baht for a 111 v3 Noob (550USD).

MT Watches (Middle of Level 3, white signboard)

MT watches has been around 10 years, its hard to miss them (They occupy two booths as opposed to one for most)

Staff are pretty good at their rep knowledge, however, it doesn't stop them from giving you wrong information if you don't know your stuff.
I was looking at the AP 15400 Miyota and requested for the white. Was told that the white was the accurate amongst the blue/black/white (They didn't have the stock for the white).
Some members disagree with their above observations.Overall much friendlier service as compared to Nah Piek, and a larger range of watches.
Richard Mille, AP ROOs, AP RO, Panerais and various subs were available for viewing.

I was told that they dealt with Nah Piek until just before his death years ago.
Staff speaks relatively good english, if the watch you want is not in stock, the models can be ordered as they bring in stock relatively quickly.
Was quoted 16,500 baht for a 111 v3 Noob (500USD).

M&M Watches (Level 3, near escalator, orange signboard)
This, in my opinion, is the best place to shop for rep watches.
The main guy has a no-nonsense approach to dealing.
Its IMO, the-place to go if you are sure of what you want andyou are okay to pay a slight premium over what the trusted dealers here offer at RWI.
I went to him and requested for a Noob v3 111, without the usual bs that most dealers go through, he broughtit out and quoted 16,500 baht (500 USD).
Told him I could get it at 238 USD, he offered 8500 baht straight away (259 USD).
Basically, to deal here, know what you want, know your prices, haggle and accept at slight premium.

Was quoted 8,500 baht for a 111 v3 Noob (259 USD).

I did comb the entire level 2 and 3, which is where most of the rep watches are.It's in my opinion, one of the best places to be to touch, feel and see the watches in real time before purchasing them.

Most other watches however, are really not worth taking a look unless you intend to hand them out as gifts, the high prices (almost twice of what TDs offer),
really doesn't justify theability to QC the watches in real time before purchase. So, what does that leave us? I was hard pressed to leave without buying anything,
so I combed the higher levels to find a hidden gem not discussed much around here.

The Hidden Gem (Level 6) - Watch Straps
Name of shop : Project Time - Paco Zone, Level 6, MBK
*Edit - info from chatwarm

great post, but please also do not forget the legendary "Project Time" in Paco Zone, R-14 6th floor. The shop owner is one of the best Panerai expert (both real and replica) in Thailand. He can source parts or any reps you like at reasonable prices but also he's one of the top PAM modders in town! I got several vintage PAM rep from this store.

Thanks to chatwarm for the info, the shop name is indeed Project Time, I would have to agree with his statements, the owner is definitely a down-to-earth guy. I had no idea he actually sold the Panerais unfortunately, only thought he was modding them for several of his clients. Nevertheless, give this shop a try when you head to MBK, you will not be disappointed if you
are a Panerai fan. I remember seeing 6 Panerais on display on his workshop table, all in super-franken display :D
image_zpsae5e56ac.jpeg

The two straps above, costed me 40 USD total. Great size for Panerais.
Look for a shop hidden behind the plushie bazaar, the owner of the shop is plump, spectacled and has a humble face.
There is no haggling allowed in the shop (honestly, you don't need too)

I purchased an addition watch box (carries 10 watches ) for 25 USD.He carries Panerai straps with logo stamped to them,
as well as Panerai clasps (300 baht each)

He carries Panerai rubber straps as well (didn't buy them as I already have them)
Shop owner is honest and has a no-nonsense approach to business.
Exactly the type of businessman I like to deal with. I brought along a friend and he purchased 2 additional alligator straps for his watches (1500 baht each),
the owner helped him with the installation.

Tips to Navigate MBK
1. Ask for "Swiss" Watches, just note that it basically means higher grade. It's unlikely "swiss" watches really mean the watches come from Switzerland
2. Start with watches that are easy to identify from Noob factories so that owners are able to take you seriously (PAM v3 111 is a good start) (I call this the baseline test)
3. There is no considerable difference IMO between A and AAA.
4. Know your prices
5. Be ready to walk away if price is not in your favour
6. Only haggle when you are ready to buy the watch at your price. No point haggling if you don't intend to buy it.
7. Some owners are fast-shooters, they only sell the lower end stuff, just walk away if they fail your baseline test.
8. Dress poorly (optional), I noticed that better dressed people were offered higher starting prices. (I dressed like I needed a change of new clothes 10 years ago, besides, you get less attention from pushy dealers)

Conclusion
So, I combed MBK over 3 days total and tried my best to uncover the hidden gems. It's unlikely that I would be able to uncover more hidden gems than experienced members and TDs like Narikaa, but overall, the experience was a fruitful and enlightening one.

Experiencing the reps first hand was an amazing experience. Its rather crazy that the rep world has come so far in terms of quality.If anything, even if you don't purchase watches,

MBK still provides a fun place to be, a lot of laughter went into the combing, loads of tourists and funny haggling between poor as f*** looking tourists and sly shopkeepers
(I caught a tourist countering a 3500 baht offer with 500 baht, the shopkeeper kept her calculator and shooed him off :p4gtr:)

In fact, you might be better off visiting the ADs in Thailand at Gaysorn or Paragon. I was dressed as poor as f*** but was served well when I could quote gen prices and reference numbers off my head.
This isn't always the case in other parts of the world.
Besides rep watches, there are other fun stuff, booze, ladies and quality cheap tailoring awaits the visitor :devilish:

Anyway, feel free to post your input and experience on MBK :nana:

Last edited:

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Interesting read!

Great place to walk around but probably not worth buying unless you wanted some low end stuff to play with :D

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Interesting read!

Great place to walk around but probably not worth buying unless you wanted some low end stuff to play with :D

Totally agree on that. It serves as good hand outs for Christmas/new year gifts though :)

Erock1

20/3/13
Thanks Retina!
Never been and so great review IMHO. :thumbsup:

D

d4m.test

Nice review Retina!
I was there a few weeks back and managed to walk around quite a bit to do some shopping, I bought a lot of clothes and also picked a rolex submariner along one of the shops near the escalators on the third level,
5ba9afc7a7a8bc25041b9a7895ff9817.jpg
after some haggling I managed to get it for 2000baht and a few others as gifts.
After all the shopping we went for tea here
835e24c52140ecb5bced00661ef7a832.jpg

I must say I enjoy going to Bangkok [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madred

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Thanks erock :D

nice pickup at that price point Jokah! I tried getting one of those 16613 subs as well, walked away as none looked as good as yours.

Yes, be prepared to gain weight in Thailand, the food and booze there is too good :nana:

straycat

Renowned Member
27/11/12
Nice review. There are also a few of used/pre-owned gen dealers mainly Rolxes in MBK. I bought a gen Pepsi 1675 on my last trip there. The price was pretty good, too.

egroegart

1/7/13
That's really cool. Thanks for the review. I would love to go but just to look. No way I'd buy anything unless they open up the case back for me. You just really don't know what you're getting. But I think it would still be an awesome experience to see.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Thanks all

Precisely why I leaned towards looking at watches with casebacks. (Panerais)

Its hard to rep FC AP Diver watches though, walked away from one due to chronograph not working well (The pushers were faulty)
If anything, try everything before purchase, winder, date, chronograph, calendars.

Price-wise, its understandable why dealers would not want to sell those watches to members who can get them through TDs at our prices.
They bring in a limited number of stocks each wave, unless your a regular dealer who buys wholesale, they would rather part the watch to another
on-looking tourist.

MT Watch salesguy mentioned that there were few regular dealers which he sold wholesale to, stocks come in probably once a week.

Not to say that there aren't other dealers who carry the "good stuff" there are plenty others from small unknown shops, but not worth mentioning due to their
insane prices and limited range. A side shop quoted me 20,000 baht for a Noob Pam V3 111.

Overport

14/2/13
Thanks for the review. So easy to get lost in MBK. One of my favorite spots every time I visit BKK

cnwh

27/10/13
I came back from bangkok for NYE but never had the chance to step into MBK. Missus was with me hence restrictions on watch and women...:p!

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
I came back from bangkok for NYE but never had the chance to step into MBK. Missus was with me hence restrictions on watch and women...:p!

welcome to the land of temptation. gen and rep ladies galore :devilish:

chatwarm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/13
great post, but please also do not forget the legendary "Project Time" in Paco Zone, R-14 6th floor. The shop owner is one of the best Panerai expert (both real and replica) in Thailand. He can source parts or any reps you like at reasonable prices but also he's one of the top PAM modders in town! I got several vintage PAM rep from this store.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
yes, thats the name of the shop where i got my straps from :)

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Edited first post to include chatwarm's comments :nana:

wongskalex

Looking Around
19/1/15
Newbie here

Hi Chatwarm, very useful info sharing, indeed. Normally, how much does a good quality Panerai replica cost (in Thai Baht) ? Any idea? Any range? Thanks a lot

wongskalex

Looking Around
19/1/15
Hi Retina, very good info sharing. This is definitely what I need as I am looking for a Panerai rep. I am newbie in watch rep however I also don't want to waste $ on the crap too. Do you have any idea or price range for a good quality Panerai rep? This will definitely help in setting price bottom-line for haggling. Thanks a lot