• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut review

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Oups sorry.
As I'm looking for black I just overviewed it too fast.
How to delete a message ?

No worries! Better safe than sorry - just imagine the poor pal ordering this junk strap without knowing that it is indeed a cheap dhgate rubber ;)

if my answer came along a bit harsh then i have to apologize as this was not my intention!

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Guys, an interesting brown strap that the seller is discounting on ebay spain for 48h for those having the RG could be a real catch : https://www.ebay.es/itm/133378220920
62e2938c1b834ffacbb1663f38b6829d.jpg

That strap is terrible!

In preparation of purchasing the 3K model. I managed to find a lightly used OEM strap on eBay, which has been cut quite short, but I took a gamble as the price was reasonable. So you can find them from time to time.

Funds permitting I was going to order it on the bracelet so with an existing order for another watch I asked my dealer to get hold of a clasp (always better to ask for spares at the same time as ordering a watch!) from the KMF (factory) as it seems to have the best engraving, but despite taking the money for it, has now said factory now will not supply.

So now I'm in two minds to get it, or bite on the Nautilus instead and let the strap go as can't afford both watches!

QTxD3.jpg

Last edited:

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
It is fake and not even one of the good ones.

missing the plots and build in end links - the font looks horrid too.

Ask a TD and they will get you a decent and fairly priced alternative to the 3KF strap (which is reportedly not the best quality available).

ZF rubber is better than 3KF?

BIONONE

28/4/17
ZF rubber is better than 3KF?

Don‘t quote me on that but reading the recent posts regarding the 3KF rubber quality it is not that difficult for another factory to come up with a better quality.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Don‘t quote me on that but reading the recent posts regarding the 3KF rubber quality it is not that difficult for another factory to come up with a better quality.

Nah, nah, nah, you will be quoted!

Jokes aside, this appears to be the consensus. :)

Reactions: BIONONE

Supergoose

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
Kent
I have a gen rubber and a 3k one and the 3k one really is quite good. If you want a gen rubber, I have just put one on eBay.

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
I have a gen rubber and a 3k one and the 3k one really is quite good. If you want a gen rubber, I have just put one on eBay.

Please post some pics of the two together or if possible, do a comparison rewiew of the two straps. That would be great. Thanks

Tornado33

4/3/20
Does the ZF rubber fit to 3K Aquanaut? Someone said in other thread that ZF is too big to 3K or something. Have anyone tried?

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
I can't comment on ZF rubber compared to 3K but I can comment on KMF, 3K, and Gen..

My base watch is a KMF and I still have the original rubber strap. I also sourced a genuine rubber strap directly from the Patek boutique in my city. The 3K made its way into my possession for comparison from Spongebob who is working on a replacement date disc for the movement. (similar like the overlay developed with Keylog, only this time my understanding is it will be a full disc to be replaced, not overlayed).

Anyway, here are some pictures of the KMF strap and genuine strap including macros of the details. The gen strap is uncut, and in all macro pics the gen strap is shown first (I feel like I've posted these somewhere before, but I couldn't find the post so here they are again.. apologies if this is redundant):

QxctF.jpg
Qxx0p.jpg
QxV55.jpg
QJZK2.jpg
QxgNt.jpg
QJj1E.jpg
QJHD3.jpg
QJzMn.jpg
QJKos.jpg
QJ2bD.jpg
QJL5k.jpg
QJhTY.jpg

Visually there are some very subtle differences, not easy to notice, and certainly impossible with the naked eye at a wrists distance. Even quality wise, I would say the KMF strap is very good (I imagine ZF is similar). There are subtleties to the hand feel and the 'bounce' of the rubber on gen. The replica strap feels more firm and stiff, whereas the gen is more pliable, and frankly more comfortable. Again this is subtle, the jump to gen is not necessary and only if you're a partial lunatic like myself who wants as close to gen experience as possible.

Now moving onto the 3K strap. I am sorry to say but I have no idea what Supergoose is talking about if he says 3K is anything remotely close to gen.. If you ask me, the 3K strap is offensively bad considering the price of this watch.

The rubber itself is cheap and flimsy. It has no structure to it at all. It's such a cheap cheap garbage material, even the color isn't a proper hue of black - It has a white "powdery" surface finishing that you only get from the most low level synthetics available.

I took a pic solely of the strap because I was so taken aback at how horrible it was:
QJrsI.jpg

I'm Including some additional pics of the 3K watch below because I had a few other observations when handling the watch up close.

The photos below are the 3K next to a KMF hybrid build with genuine dial & Spongebob / Keylog DWO.

Firstly the lume on the 3K hands is too yellow.. However the 3K dial itself is really impressive comparing side-by-side with gen. The dial indices are a tad bit 'thicker' but they are nicely beveled and give the dial a very refined and elegant look. The lume color is not as much of an issue here. The geosphere pattern is also very nicely executed; the grooves are not as 'deep' or wide as the ZF dial. Lastly the sunburst and color is very very good. A bit too much sunburst IMO but better than any other dial available. The only minor gripe I had with the 3K dial is the printing of the "Patek" logo under 12:00 could have been better executed. The print is a tad bit sloppy.

QJOb8.jpg
QJqqL.jpg
QJoDQ.jpg
QJITR.jpg
QJ9R1.jpg
QJyUK.jpg
QJ1Bv.jpg
QJ6hj.jpg
QJ894.jpg

The movement was very impressive, and beautifully executed - its just a shame that they did not bother to engrave it. I understand why they did this, and before anyone takes offense for me saying this, I'd like to iterate I'm only speaking from a subjective perspective: To me, its a wasted clone movement to miss out on the engravings. Why? Because these are reps. At the end of the day if I didn't care what the movement looked like I'd go with a proven reliable Miyota 9015. It will be easier to service, maintain, and replace parts in the long run. However, since this model has an exhibition caseback, I do care if the movement looks accurate.. Besides the argument of pushing the envelope for more advanced development in replica movements (which is indeed impressive!), the idea of having a cloned movement with an exhibition case back is so that the movement itself will appear gen. Unfortunately for 3K they didn't do that.. its close, but still deeply and obviously flawed. So in my mind the entire execution of a cloned movement is a moot point. Again. Please dont attack me for thinking this way, in the pursuit of perfection we all have our tolerances and this is just where I personally can't accept 3K's execution of the movement. I'm still incredibly impressed that we've come this close, and I have high hopes that a V2 is on the horizon.

Lastly, and a pretty big observation, the case proportions from 3K seem to be off.. The bezel in particular when compared side by side to KMF is much larger. I also went to an AD that has gen and had a look at the real thing, which confirmed my observation that the 3K somehow messed up on this detail - the genuine Aquanaut bezel does not appear to be as wide as their version... I will need to find time to get pics of the gen again as I didn't last time I was there.. But I've included the pics above and will add some more photos below.

QJQqX.jpg
QJBDc.jpg
QJpbb.jpg
QJlXi.jpg
QJTQ5.jpg
QJPUp.jpg
QJwn2.jpg
QJXRF.jpg
QJkht.jpg

To those that have made it this far down throughout my ramblings, I appreciate you taking the time to read.

Overall I still feel the 3K is a gorgeous watch that holds its own against the competition. It has tremendous value for how good it looks, with a functioning cloned 324SC at a fraction of the price of gen as well. Had I not sourced a genuine dial I would most definitely have attempted to source a 3K dial for my build.

Last edited:

Supergoose

29/3/20
Kent
I can see what you say about the sunburst. Nice to see compared to your gen dial. I think there may be some variation in watches from 3k, my dial printing is closer to your gen dial.

A bug for me is the 6 and 9 is different on the 3k dial to gen.

My strap is also better than the strap you pictured, still not perfect but passable.

The biggest issues for me on the watch are as follows.

- Noise and feel of the movement.
-The clasp edges where they meet in the middle are sharp, this feels cheap to me.
- My watch seems to gain a couple of seconds a day
- The number 6 and 9 on the dial

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I can see what you say about the sunburst. Nice to see compared to your gen dial. I think there may be some variation in watches from 3k, my dial printing is closer to your gen dial.

A bug for me is the 6 and 9 is different on the 3k dial to gen.

My strap is also better than the strap you pictured, still not perfect but passable.

The biggest issues for me on the watch are as follows.

- Noise and feel of the movement.
-The clasp edges where they meet in the middle are sharp, this feels cheap to me.
- My watch seems to gain a couple of seconds a day
- The number 6 and 9 on the dial

on these points you think the zf is better?

Supergoose

29/3/20
Kent
on these points you think the zf is better?

I really cannot comment on the ZF.

The 3k really is a 8.5/10 for me on looks and some modifications may be possible to improve it.

- I can fit my gen strap
- I think the clasp could be improved with someone used to polishing/valeting watches
- A service may provide improvements on the watch running fast.

I hear that the Gen has a noisy rotor but I can't imagine this noisy.

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
As I ordered my Aquanaut on a bracelet , to avoid the ridiculous gold markings, the band supplied by my TD is not the band supplied by 3K with their watch. This probably explains why is seems very satisfactory.

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
timnic54 what i think is interesting is the fact, that LuminorReptar highlighted the 3K bezel seems slightly off - compared to a KMF model. additionally he said he noticed the off bezel even when comparing the 3K watch to a gen model.

what are your thoughts about that?