• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It’s about time...... 3K Nautilus 5711 incoming

ODINDMT

29/8/15
The grey dial colour looks on point! They are nailing it with these.. if only the movement was engraved better it would be ace.!
Has anyone pulled the trigger on this? What would be an improvement other than movement details?

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
My current perspective on 3K vs PPF.

EiI5D.png

ODINDMT

29/8/15
As none of both is perfect you have to think about compromising.

IMHO the PPF got some pros that don‘t come with the 3KF.

PPF:

-very good dial (more grey than brown but still a good mix and the best thus far (PF for example is completely ugly))

-you got a 9015 which is proven to be sturdy and a service is possible just in case

-over all build quality of PPF is decent out of the box without modding

-DW is spot on while people are still debating over the font on the 3KF...

3KF:

-awesome looking movement +++ (even though nobody knows how stable it is in the long run)

-bezel and crown are better than on the PPF while the endlinks destroy the image of an ootb decent nautilus rep

-dial is a bit too brown, too warm, not grey enough In my view

not much left to say

i would go for PPF if it must be the rose gold 5711 ;)

Last edited:

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
@megapleb, great comparison table above, thanx. BTW, the gen Nautilus 2019 already has a hacking caliber 26-330 SC.

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
@megapleb, great comparison table above, thanx. BTW, the gen Nautilus 2019 already has a hacking caliber 26-330 SC.
Yup. And if they cloned that movement, I'd love it. I'm about to pull the trigger on a PPF I think, and made the table to help me decide. If it weren't for the fat link on the 3K, I might well have gone for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
That's good news for you, the original genta masterpiece is actually the AP royal Oak, which happen to sell for half the price of a nautilus!

Agreed. Genta designed the Royal Oak before the Nautilus. I guess, by "original", Erinoush meant Ref. 3700, the original - Genta desgined - Nautilus - masterpiece, but he could correct me if my assumption is wrong.
Not a big fan pf PP here, except for their (grand) complications and perpetual calendars, which are indeed absolutely exceptional, but I have to admit that they are almost flawless at marketing their brand. Selling a lesser *or let's say technically comparable, to not offend any PP enhusiasts reading this thread) watch than other prestigious brands' comparable models for a X-multiplier of the latter, that commands respect for their strategists and shows some balls on top of it all. Brilliant branding.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Agreed. Genta designed the Royal Oak before the Nautilus. I guess, by "original", Erinoush meant Ref. 3700, the original - Genta desgined - Nautilus - masterpiece, but he could correct me if my assumption is wrong.
Not a big fan pf PP here, except for their (grand) complications and perpetual calendars, which are indeed absolutely exceptional, but I have to admit that they are almost flawless at marketing their brand. Selling a lesser *or let's say technically comparable, to not offend any PP enhusiasts reading this thread) watch than other prestigious brands' comparable models for a X-multiplier of the latter, that commands respect for their strategists and shows some balls on top of it all. Brilliant branding.

To a certain extent it is true what you say about branding and how they use their brand and history.

But it can’t be neglected that Patek for centuries have been one of the most innovative watchmakers. They’ve made so many inventions. They are known for many watch types and designs.

If you dive into the vintage watch rabbit hole, you’ll see that most watches have some kind of “flaw” in their design. But Patek have made so many masterpieces from a design perspective and got everything right in term of complications and proportions. And also been able to know what the users would love. So many pieces that are spot on. It’s incredible and unbelievable how they’ve managed to do so. And at the same time making inventions. They’ve become legendary for a reason.

Please look at some of these (you probably already know them):
Perpetual Chronos: 1518, 2499
Perpetual calendars: 1526, 2497, 3448
Chronographs: Patek 1463, 530, 130
Split chronos: fx 1436
Minute repeaters, and not to mention their legendary world timer 2523.

They invented the annual calendar in the 90’s made the weekly calendar 2 years ago.

And I am not saying that they’ve made all the technological developments or design inventions themselves. Fx the world timer was Lois Cottier’s invention, the Nautilus designed by Genta. But they’ve just been fantastic to use the right persons and right inventions and done the marketing the right way.

Most watchmakers get a few timepieces right through their long history. Patek somehow managed to do perfect with most of their pieces throughout the centuries. And that’s what has made them legendary and separate them by far from the crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: watcho

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
To a certain extent it is true what you say about branding and how they use their brand and history.

But it can’t be neglected that Patek for centuries have been one of the most innovative watchmakers. They’ve made so many inventions. They are known for many watch types and designs.

If you dive into the vintage watch rabbit hole, you’ll see that most watches have some kind of “flaw” in their design. But Patek have made so many masterpieces from a design perspective and got everything right in term of complications and proportions. And also been able to know what the users would love. So many pieces that are spot on. It’s incredible and unbelievable how they’ve managed to do so. And at the same time making inventions. They’ve become legendary for a reason.

Please look at some of these (you probably already know them):
Perpetual Chronos: 1518, 2499
Perpetual calendars: 2497, 3448
Chronographs: Patek 1463, 530, 130
Split chronos: fx 1436
Minute repeaters, and not to mention their legendary world timer 2523.

They invented the annual calendar in the 90’s made the weekly calendar 2 years ago.

And I am not saying that they’ve made all the technological developments or design inventions themselves. Fx the world timer was Lois Cottier’s invention, the Nautilus designed by Genta. But they’ve just been fantastic to use the right persons and right inventions and done the marketing the right way.

Most watchmakers get a few timepieces right through their long history. Patek somehow managed to do perfect with most of their pieces throughout the centuries. And that’s what has made them legendary and separate them by far from the crowd.

My particular "beef" with PP is directed specifically against their "working horses" i.e. Nautilus, etc. I had explicitely mentioned, even if just generically, some of their exceptional creations which are included in my personal circle of all time favorites.
Nonetheless, same if not even superlative prestige can be attributed to JLC, Breguet and other "mainstream" haute horologiers and yet they do not command PP prices, even though some of their creations are superior. JLC has supplied for decades the whole "holy trinity" with their movements, just to mention one of their remarkable, undeniable achievements.
They’re just not as good at marketing.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
My particular "beef" with PP is directed specifically against their "working horses" i.e. Nautilus, etc. I had explicitely mentioned, even if just generically, some of their exceptional creations which are included in my personal circle of all time favorites.
Nonetheless, same if not even superlative prestige can be attributed to JLC, Breguet and other "mainstream" haute horologiers and yet they do not command PP prices, even though some of their creations are superior. JLC has supplied for decades the whole "holy trinity" with their movements, just to mention one of their remarkable, undeniable achievements.
They’re just not as good at marketing.

Yes. But If you compare PP to fx JLC, Breguet etc. Maybe a few watches are comparable. And yes, JLC have done well with legendary movements. But Patek has so many legendary timepieces that it puts them in their own league, where no others come close (not even the independents). And that’s not only marketing.

If I understand correctly, what you mean is their “working horses” aren’t that much better than comparable watches? That we can agree on. Many A. Lange & Söhne watches have better finish than a Calatrava. And yes, there are independent brands commanding the same prices as a Calatrava 5227 that are much better technical and the finishing at the same or lower price. Fx the A.L&S Saxonia, 1815 or Laurent Ferrier, F.P. Journe etc.
But if you look at the other mainstream brands Breguet, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin and others like that, they are not better than Patek. But prices can be a little lower.

Last edited:

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Agreed on most of your points, but I think you have slightly missed mine. I am not criticizing and even less questioning their place in the Olympus and the quality of the end products. I simply don't put too much value on Nautilus and Aquanaut, which are overinflated in therms of price. There are better products out there, without the horrendous price tag, that's all I am saying.
And as usual, this is just my personal opinion, which doesn't have to fall in line with the general consensus. I could care less about that.
Since 1976, Nautilus has remained basically unchanged. Let's not start to split hairs and go too deep into technical details. I mean for the average enthusiast, who appreciates design equally, if not more than than echnical sophistication, Nautilus has kind of aged.
Audemars Piguet at least has taken a very bold step in 1993, by allowing a young guy to come up with something fresh, the ROO. THAT commands respect. Patek has chickened out and drags the shit out of a 44 year old model. I wish they came up with an evolution of a Nautilus, or let's just call it a model for a different audience, the way AP did.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
watcho yeah buddy. That’s true. Their prices are totally insane! Not only the pre-owned market but also the retail is too high for such a watch.

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
By means of analogy, many car manufacturers had strikes of genius in the past. I can think of Ferrari, with their 250 GTO, 275 GTB, 250 GT Pininfarina, etc., Mercedes with their 300 SL Gullwing, Toyota with their 2000 GT and so on. To simplify things, let's take Porsche's iconic model, the 911. Would you be equally enthusiastic about this particular model, if they had changed some of the technical characteristics, even radically, but left the design unchanged, since the '60s? I don't think so. That's what I mean.​

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
The fact that PP, AP, JLC have all slipped down the quartz path at some point in their history, to me at least, no matter how much I respect all of them and JLC in particular, doesn't constitute a badge of honor. At least Breguet never went down that shitty road. They seem to be proud of it (made it to one of their most recognizable slogans) and rightfully so.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The fact that PP, AP, JLC have all slipped down the quartz path at some point in their history, to me at least, no matter how much I respect all of them and JLC in particular, doesn't constitute a badge of honor. At least Breguet never went down that shitty road. They seem to be proud of it (made it to one of their most recognizable slogans) and rightfully so.

Haha yeah. It’s a blemish. Hard to remove.

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
By the way, your avatar cracks me up. :clap_1: Well done!! Did you do it yourself?