• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 Blue X PPF 5711 White - a Humble Comparison

Chaosg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/18
Hi guys,

As I have promised last week, I have made a HUMBLE comparison between my Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 Blue and the PPF 5711 white.

My idea was NOT to make such a comparison full of macro pictures, but instead a more focused one in certain characteristics in order to give you a impression closer to what it is in real life. So, you guys please excuse this newbie here…. ;)

Nevertheless, for those that love those macro pictures comparison, I’d recommend Ryan’s as follows:

https://www.intime04.co/patek-philip...ppf-maker.html

Some of you guys have said that those measurements taken by Ryan were not to be trusted, that was impossible to achieve such thickness using the Myota 9015 and so on. So, keep going to see if it is or not reliable.

Again, IMHO, we should have a comparison more focused to give us the impression in real life of side by side pieces, genuine one and PPF’s. Being of different colours it was not so straightforward , though. Then, I have tried to focus on the main characteristics that in general makes you feel if the replica was good, or otherwise.

Each one of us has a reason to buy a replica, and in my case, it’s easy to understand why. Wearing the genuine is a pleasure but is quite worrisome – banging it, scratching it or worse…. Well, it’s quite impossible for me to replace it should a very bad thing happen. PO Lines in Patek AD are 10 years plus, and grey's is quite over the reasonable for me. The thing also is having a bad replica was totally off for me.

Then, I was quite surprised with PPF’s white and bought it right away. Well, henceforth, let me know if PPF’s is good enough or not, done?

V0j6J3.jpg

Let the pictures talk by themselves, now

V077D8.jpg

V07L1b.jpg

V074kd.jpg

V07jN3.jpg

Next pic shows a difference in size - but it's in fact caused by PPF's bracelet being less flexible and therefore watch is closer to camera. Bracelet is not bad, but still a long shot to the genuine ( which is more than expected)

V07XL2.jpg

It's important to get the watches leveled in order to avoid such distortion. Excuse the crude way I performed so.

V0duLa.jpg

V0dV1g.jpg

V0YPpy.jpg

Those last three pics , you might see that the bracelets are quite similar, but the first link on gen is ever so slightly smaller.

See now the impression of bezel difference

V07AgR.jpg

Now, bezels and crowns

V0dzVG.jpg

V0dKsy.jpg

What about movements now

V0dII6.jpg

V0dvgq.jpg

Such a beautiful work from Patek

V0Yw7G.jpg

And, yes...I know, the so famous too reddish fake jewels ... but not too bad...

V0Y8Rq.jpg

It's also more evident a difference in colour of rotor, being the PPF's more brassy. Well, not too unexpected , though

Now, if you could keep going so far, the infamous measurements. I used a caliper that was thermally stable ( without fluctuations of zero) . I was quite surprised about thickness

V0d9OL.jpg

V0dcsF.jpg

V0d0Vr.jpg

Note that I tried to get measurement at same spot on both watches, same pressure as well.

It's quite understandable that people would take the Patek website info of 8.3mm as the rule, but do not forget that I'm using double decimal digit caliper, and there's normal tolerances as well. As the caliper is the same, it's NOT FAR OFF to affirm that PPF can be only a tenth of millimeter thicker than the genuine -- which is amazing in my book.

Even though, it's possible to notice a small difference when you look at both side by side. It's nevertheless impossible to see such a difference on the wrist, IMO.

As easily noted, though, the crown protrudes a bit more than on gen. I tried to measure it as best as I could. I'll leave to you to check which is which ... ;)

V0dlZe.jpg

V0dxIo.jpg

V0dFIA.jpg

V0dNiT.jpg

Although the difference is minimal on the width, the length of PPF is notable longer. It's less than a tenth of millimeter but you can see it....

But that small difference does not explain why the crown on PPF protrudes much more than on the genuine. So, I guess you can see that the indentation on the case is shallower on PPF and , therefore, the crown does not go down the way it should. Also, the shiny part on which the crown sits seems deeper on gen too.

V0dzVG.jpg

V0YSw0.jpg

V0Ygr6.jpg

V0d7xf.jpg

BTW, if you were curious to know what I think about PPF's , I'd say that I don't see too much the bezel difference, specially if I'm wearing it; that I don't see much of difference on bracelet, although I had to file the sharp edges a bit; that the date is skinny but fills all window and it's centralized - which are the most important things to me; but the longer crown is, FOR SURE, the thing that annoys me a bit. Not offensive to the eye, though.... ;)

IMHO, the best thing is you to see and decide by yourself, so some pics were taken to give you this impression of how good, or bad, this piece is.

V0jVF8.jpg

V0dr2D.jpg

V0dtJs.jpg

V0dLFp.jpg

So, I hope you have enjoyed this, sorry for such long text.

I'd love to hear your opinions -- BUT PLEASE ---- DO NOT QUOTE ALL PICS when you answer to it .......... ;) . It's a PITA when all pics are quoted , with no reason for that.... :lolcina:

Cheers

Last edited:

ztealth

11/8/13
Thanks for the review! I was hoping you would do one with the PPF blue dial. Great work nonetheless!

Chaosg

26/3/18
Thanks for the review! I was hoping you would do one with the PPF blue dial. Great work nonetheless!

Hi, it would be great but I don't have the blue one - sorry.

On the other hand, mine is 2012's so the dials would be different anyway.

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
Awesome comparison, and that's a beautiful 5711!

I never realized the difference in jewels until you pointed it out...they are glaringly red lol.

Reps have really come a long way, it's incredible.

Chaosg

26/3/18
Awesome comparison, and that's a beautiful 5711!

I never realized the difference in jewels until you pointed it out...they are glaringly red lol.

Reps have really come a long way, it's incredible.

Thank you!

If you want my opinion on that, I'd say that what is more evident for me is the missing screw on PPF. Can you see this?

cheers

Reactions: reklamezonen

langgo

6/1/17
The Netherlands
Thanks for comparison! :drinks_cheers: Really appreciate it. For me the white one really worth it. Many people still in doubt over the blue dial being too purple.

Which color do you like more?

Chemicalz

Renowned Member
27/2/15
One thing which is really bothering me is the bezel thickness, I mean once you see it its there, it is so fat on the zf/pff

Reactions: vcappp

Riverwind85

26/4/18
Thanks for the comparison! The only thing I really see is the crown. The bezel even side by side is much less of a difference in my opinion

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
Hi guys,....

So, I hope you have enjoyed this, sorry for such long text.

I'd love to hear your opinions -- BUT PLEASE ---- DO NOT QUOTE ALL PICS when you answer to it .......... ;) . It's a PITA when all pics are quoted , with no reason for that.... :lolcina:

Cheers

*Quotes every image* :p

Thanks for the comparison. This basically confirmed what I already knew, the bezel is too thick and the crown is too large. Amongst other "flaws" ofc.

Now you've got one to rock and one to stock (the PPF)! XD

Chaosg

26/3/18
Thanks for comparison! :drinks_cheers: Really appreciate it. For me the white one really worth it. Many people still in doubt over the blue dial being too purple.

Which color do you like more?

Hi, you’re welcome. If you referred to the colours of PPF, I’d say that today there’s only one good option - white one.

I’m not really sure that the blue dial would be acceptable - the purple tint is horrible, and I’m not sure it is due only to the cameras. I’ve never seen any purple tint on any blue gen, and if cameras play a role on that we would expect some, right?

KSwatches has posted some good pics on other thread with no purple at all, and promised to try to get the purple tint changing lighting, let’s see.

Regarding to the grey one, it’s subpar and below critics, IMHO. Please take this as personal opinion , if you like it it’s ok ;)

cheers

Last edited:

Chaosg

26/3/18
*Quotes every image* :p

Thanks for the comparison. This basically confirmed what I already knew, the bezel is too thick and the crown is too large. Amongst other "flaws" ofc.

Now you've got one to rock and one to stock (the PPF)! XD

Most welcome, and BTW, liked your idea.... :)

Reactions: theREALgoat

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Very nice post and informative review ! It's good to see some factual reviews like that !

It confirmed a lot things that have been said in the past about thickness measurement !

I’m not really sure that the blue dial would be acceptable - the purple tint is horrible

I don't think it's actually any purple, at least, shouldn't be, remember that it could only be a bad batch of dial that leads to this result, as far as I know, we only saw one of them like that and only on certain pics !

Chaosg

26/3/18
Very nice post and informative review ! It's good to see some factual reviews like that !

It confirmed a lot things that have been said in the past about thickness measurement !

I don't think it's actually any purple, at least, shouldn't be, remember that it could only be a bad batch of dial that leads to this result, as far as I know, we only saw one of them like that and only on certain pics !

Merci beaucoup , monsieur .

I’d very much like that the blue one was good. I cannot say about the colour with certainty given the differences on blue ones batches, though. I guess I could only compare mine with PF’s and MK’s. Also, comparing colour using pics instead side by side is really not the best...

mottykytu

4/6/13
How much "authẹntic" does the PPF feel to you - the one who already own genuine?

And if you see PPF on someone wrist can you immidiately tell it just only by Crown and Bezel thickness if you already own gen but do not have it to compare side by side???

Chaosg

26/3/18
How much "authẹntic" does the PPF feel to you - the one who already own genuine?

And if you see PPF on someone wrist can you immidiately tell it just only by Crown and Bezel thickness if you already own gen but do not have it to compare side by side???

That’s so difficult to answer your question, I guess mainly bc I’m here at RWI with all this crazy nitpickers around me.... :woo:

I’d nevertheless keep what I already said before, that the PPF white one is quite comparable when you see the full picture. If you check the last set of pics on comparison, it was meant to give you exactly the chance to feel it.

But, I guess only bc I’m here I’d recognize it as a replica - should I be a gen owner not aware of that, I’d bet it would pass as gen , although with crown not fully screwed down. Of course, on macro pics this would vanish....

For the blue versions like PF and MKF, I’d recognize as a replica bc colour is not good ( I know lots of you think otherwise). I have to base my opinion on the pics I’ve seen, though, and it’s really necessary to have IRL to make a sure assertion.

For the PPF blue, I’m still waiting to see better pics, so far, I didn’t like the colour. I hope it can be improved.

cheers

Last edited: