• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus Comparison PF vs. MKF

yojj

I'm Pretty Popular
30/11/16
I believe the title says it all. I placed an order with TD as soon as I saw the PF release, and bought a watch from Hokage last week for this comparison.

The photo that I'll use as a reference is here
RKlLgZa.jpg

SXnxWI6.jpg

Now onto my pictures

628RrMT.jpg

z5bZRU0.jpg

VEZfDye.jpg

First the dial.
Now this is a very unfair fight, because the MK Nautilus I got had 2AR xtal installed. However, I would say that the dial colour is damn good. As long as you install a 2AR xtal into the PF, it will be just as good as MK.
Both watches have that deep blue, and the aura look, that is a bit darker around the side and more blue in the center.

DW
I would say one point for the MK, since they got the window more filled up, more gen size font. But personal opinion, I think the Nautilus' font size is a bit too big, so I actually prefer the PF look. It also fills up the window nicely. Without the side by side comparison I don't think it looks awkward or anything. Definitely not a deal breaker.

9BFfYVe.jpg

5Y1DwMj.jpg

Case Construction
Since I don't have the gen watch with me, so the case comparison is strictly between two reps.

Now these two photos are two watches directly on top of each other. Can't really see the bottom behind right? I think so. So no difference here.

lIdj3Zn.jpg

kOvVbDA.jpg

uaJ40uI.jpg

e4KklFb.jpg

0FYJyVs.jpg

U9kVexK.jpg

Thickness
Now this is the sad part for the MKF. Before I received the PF, I didn't really mind the thickness of the MKF, and people kept talking about how it is big and thick.
But as you can see in the photo, when compared to the PF, it is like a fat granny beside a top model.
My apologies that I do not have the exact measurement tool, so I cannot give a precise actual thickness, but as shown in the picture, because the gen Nautilus is so thin, the MKF's extra thickness seems like a tumor sticking out of no where.

So yeah, if thickness is super important to you, it can be a deal breaker.

fKYlqDE.jpg

jHoaVql.jpg

9rZi8tw.jpg

MKF

y3025uj.jpg

HOOZj8W.jpg

xLeHMpm.jpg

PF

Deco plate
I won't comment too much on this. As we all know, if you're into rep, don't ask for too much. Just here to show some pics.

eUw4siP.jpg

qBGnMkF.jpg

KAtgt9T.jpg

Engravings
The bracelet engravings look just about the same to me, so won't say much on that as well

Movement
MKF uses A2824, PF uses Miyota 9015.
Need I to say more?

voFLOZd.jpg

jqtPUtN.jpg

IwIjxw7.jpg

MKF

r6bbcNL.jpg

LcuKBt0.jpg

mXNWm7T.jpg

PF

Bracelet
Now this is another unfair fight. Because the MKF I got is an used watch, it is expected that the bracelet will be a bit more worn out. Therefore overall, the PF bracelet feels much more solid than the MKF. In the picture above, MKF bracelet occasionally has that big gap in between links which not present in PF.

Also when laid flat, PF bracelet seems much smoother.

Now they both feel very nice and comfortable on the wrist, I'd say partly because of the MKF had a shave mod, since we all know the infamous MKF bracelet fly up end link. However, PF bracelet is very good out of box.

LVU8VWn.jpg

Y0sH49Z.jpg

MKF on the left, PF on the right, gen on the bottom

Clasp
MKF has a much looser feel to the clasp, not too loose that you scare it might unclasp, but definitely not as hard as PF. Honestly never had the gen, so won't comment on that either. But I personally do not like the Nautilus clasp design, so don't think gen will be much better.

In terms of the look, PF is closer to gen on logo size and prettiness. But it is not as deeply engraved as gen or MKF.

Also MKF has 2 link or screw head that's sticking out, which is not gen like as well.

fAVyCcB.jpg

MKF on the left, PF on the right

Lume:
Both under direct sun light for about 15~20 seconds. MKF lume is decent because of the 2AR xtal, but PF definitely got much stronger lume in it.

WsCxbkG.jpg

9zaEEAT.jpg

Lastly, a nice wrist shot.

To be honest, these two feel just as nice on the wrist, and even though people can find 10000 things that is wrong with them, who are we kidding, $500~ for a nice decent looking Nautilus to play with?

I'm not saying that we should not pay attention to the detail or ignore the little imperfections, of course we want them to be better than better, but in the end, we buy these watches to have fun, and if they give us enough fun, then it is money well spent. :)

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Great Thank you! Ill say this again. PF is epensive probably more than it should be, but than at the same time is really a very good example of the Nautilus. if you try to build a nautilus out of different rep parts you will end with more than the askinpeg price! Thank you again for this and hope this puts to sleep all the questions... next should be a Gen Vs PF

D

d4m.test

Is thickness really as advertised on the PF (9mm)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brrrnt

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Awesome comparison thanks. Such a shame about the mkf thickness though :(

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Nice write up and pics.

How solid does the PF feel overall? Does it feel light and cheap? as compare to maybe AP JF 15400?

D

d4m.test

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to Gen vs PF review after 2AR mod.

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Great comparison, gives us all much more of an idea of the new rep than from TD website. The dial colour of the PF looks great, better than I expected. I'm starting to see that actually $500 isn't too bad when you consider we've been paying that for AP ROOs for years now!!

The gen doesn't have AR so to me the 2xAR Nautilus you have just looks wrong!

DC

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
same if not better. PF bracelet was quite good

Damn might have to pick this one up then.

One thing I hate about the BP 5711 I had was the overall cheap feeling of the watch, but if this one is on par with AP JF quality then it has to be really good.

Hope they make a thin version of 5980 soon too with a sunburst dial.

D

d4m.test

Fantastic comparison! Thanks for pulling it together. The PF bracelet looks nice and thin. Love the mkf dial with 2xAR, have that combo on my Nautilus too and still think it looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

G

Thanks for this, much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
Nice comparison..thanks for sharing! I ordered two PF Nautilus Watches they will be here this week. I have a caliper so I’m going to check if the PF watches are as TD started 8.5mm. And I’ll post pictures so everyone can see.

iskillio

12/9/14
Nice comparison..thanks for sharing! I ordered two PF Nautilus Watches they will be here this week. I have a caliper so I’m going to check if the PF watches are as TD started 8.5mm. And I’ll post pictures so everyone can see.
They don't state it as 8.5, it's 9mm which puretime lists. It says (close to 8.5mm gen thickness)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk