• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My perfect franken Patek 5711 Nautilus build

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
So, this is my perfect 5711 build

I’ve been refining my collection over the last year, and I wanted to do something special with the few reps I have left.

I absolutely love the 5711 and I was on the list before they got discontinued. Paying retail for one, no problem, paying around 200.000 for one, not going to happen.

With that in mind, I wanted to do a build that I knew I would enjoy wearing, without any compromises.

I’ve had the PF/PPF hybrid, and it just didn’t do it for me. The dimension of the bezel was wrong (Although the best stock option at the moment) and the overall quality and craftmanship of the watch just didn’t satisfy me.

We did a build based on the current 3KF, mainly because the case/bezel dimensions are the best base to achieve a gen looking result. Secondly, I wanted a clone movement. This was a VERY time consuming and tough build, because we basically had to reshape every single surface of the case/bezel, and the biggest challenge was no doubt to get the bezel dimension 100 % correct.

Here is the build breakdown:

CASE/BEZEL: As stated above, this was the most important for me to get right. The PF bezel is not quite there, and the PPF bezel is to fat. The current 3KF is the only option imo if you want to achieve a gen look. The entire bezel was reshaped, and several rounds of lapping to get the final result that I was happy with. The bevels where corrected/cut on all areas where needed.

CROWN: We corrected the length and shape. (Its nowhere as bad as the PPF, but still needs some work)

BRACELET: The backside was smoothed out for comfort, and the bevels where refinished. The lack of gap between the fist link and case was corrected.

DIAL: We got a hold of every current possible dial there is, to do a comparison. 3KF is the worst, and where never considered, BUFF has a horrible overdone sunburst effect, and looked very cheap. They did put in some work on the markers, but they are to rounded. PPF v4 is imo the best by far, but it needs work on the makers, to even out the square look. I’m well aware there is variations in gen, but only to a certain level. We had 2 different gen unboxed dials to compare with. My recommendation for a rep dial is PPF, with the hour makers reshaped and a white gold treatment. In the end we of course went with the gen dial. FUN FACT, the 3kf movement is not gen spec, so the dial feet had to be cut to accommodate the gen dial.

HANDS: Again, we had all the current hands available, and the choice was easy. BUFF by far was the best, both in quality and by having the correct dimensions. We still did a refinish on the hands, to get rid of the rough edges. And the hands got a white gold treatment/plating to match the hour makers on the gen dial. The hands where then relumed to match the gen dial. (That took us 3 tries). We ended up with a result, where gen hands wouldn’t make sense.

DATEWHEEL: Stock 3KF is a joke and went straight in the trash. We were originally going with BUFF and got 3 of them. 2 of them where so bad quality that they were unusable, and the last one was no price either. The print quality is just horrible, it’s not white it’s a weird gray color, a lot of the numbers are misaligned, and the result would never have been satisfactory. We got a couple of the Keylog date wheels, and the print quality is really good, however the font is slightly too small/thin and the 11 is looking kind of strange. This is nitpicking, I know, but with all the work being put into this build, I couldn’t live with the result, so we ended up buying a gen blistered date wheel.

MOVEMENT: The movement had a service, and just for fun, we beveled the different parts, to make it a bit prettier.

This was a very time consuming and LONG build, but I’m extremely happy with the result, and I think we achieved something truly unique with this build. All I know is, I absolutely love it.

Thanks for reading, and no, its not for sale :)
jGMW9J.jpg
jGMUho.jpg
jGMeRk.jpg

jGMmZW.jpg
jGMasP.jpg
jGMoqS.jpg

jGMIxL.jpg
jGMqXQ.jpg

Gen left Keylog right
jGMyQ8.jpg

jGM1fK.jpg
jGMnhv.jpg

jGMtZ4.jpg
jGM8uj.jpg
jGM6n1.jpg

Final result:
jGMQXc.jpg
jGMCWi.jpg
jGMBII.jpg
jGMlxX.jpg
jGMPQb.jpg
jGMTfp.jpg
jGMknF.jpg
jGMd25.jpg
jGMwut.jpg
jGMMj2.jpg
jGMsIE.jpg
jGMudn.jpg

Last edited:

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Thank you for your review and your great write up
Simply amazing, You created something unique here

RWI and it's members are the best(change my mind, don't mind you can't)

Last edited:

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thank you for your review and your great write up
Simply amazing, You created something unique here

RWI and it's members are the best(change my mind, don't mind you can't)

Thanks bud, appreciate it

Reactions: j21

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
What a beauty and superb achievement. This surely has a high price tag but what a watch! Plus it will surely be enjoyed for many years!

Well done !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2841

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
Beautiful!! Love how you redo the movement polish too.

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Extremely impressive. Enjoy the watch, it's a real keeper.

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Looks fantastic! Absolutely beautiful!

All of the small details really add up to something greater. Nicely done!

Reactions: ywg and 2841

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
It will be even better if you figure a way to repaint the movement engrving .

Oh i truly dont care :) One look at the movement, and the regulator on the bridge, and you will know its a fake, no matter what we do to it :)

Only way to truly correct this, is to drop in a gen movement. (And i am searching for one :) )

Reactions: pmoz

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Oh i truly dont care :) One look at the movement, and the regulator on the bridge, and you will know its a fake, no matter what we do to it :)

Only way to truly correct this, is to drop in a gen movement. (And i am searching for one :) )

I wish you best of luck in your ventures. A build with this much work put into it truly does deserve a genuine movement.

Desfluorane

Horology Curious
27/1/22
EU
Maybe the best rep of 5711 I've ever seen. Now I am happier but also sadder because the others seem to me even more reps! Lol.