• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Pam172 VS Rep172 Side by Side Comparison

snbr2011

16/5/12
Folks,

Just bought my all time grail watch, the elusive pam172 and a friend of mine sent me his rep pam172 for a side by side comparison. For some of you experimenting with case darkening I am also open to do a side by side if you want to ship yours to me. Here are the pics.

Note: Rep172 case has not been treated with anything, I think it has been relumed though. I will update the thread with more pictures. Feel free to drop some knowledge. Thanks Gerry [MENTION=30904]Winemaker[/MENTION] for sending the watch
Gen with the Monte Carlo butterscotch strap and Rep with the dark brown gator.

evilpenguin

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/15
Thank you for posting this comparison as I've been on the fence about the 172. I had no idea that the gen was that much darker than titanium...

snbr2011

16/5/12
Well the gen is Tantalum, heavy as hell and has this dark bluish hue to it.

Winemaker

I'm Pretty Popular
4/9/10
Notes on my rep that was used. Swiss mvmt with plates, relumed by Ziggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys for the comparison pics, the difference is indeed noticeable!
Hopefully my case will be closer than DSN's :)

Fozzie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/16
Who is Ziggy, I'd like his coordinates, he really did a good relume indeed. Apart from the case a little bit darker, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it's in the WR parameters. Winemaker could you tell us where from and how much?!

lmmo

Renowned Member
2/2/15
The most impressive difference for me is actually the quality of the crystal.
Side by side, you don't need to think twice to know which one is the gen.

Winemaker

I'm Pretty Popular
4/9/10
Who is Ziggy, I'd like his coordinates, he really did a good relume indeed. Apart from the case a little bit darker, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it's in the WR parameters. Winemaker could you tell us where from and how much?!

He's been retired now for some time. The only person who is luming up to his level is Strodda who is a SV here. I now only use Strodda for relumes.

psychoyam

Renowned Member
24/6/16
Dial font appears to be wider in the gen and a bit taller in the rep. In the "P" seems more noticeable. Or maybe is the angle...

Sent from the RWI mobile app

snbr2011

16/5/12
you are right on this one. There are quite a few tells if you look closer. Case color on gen is very hard to capture and not to mention the weight on the gen, quite heavy but if you dont have a gen to compare its very hard to pick up on the tells to be honest.

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
The most impressive difference for me is actually the quality of the crystal.
Side by side, you don't need to think twice to know which one is the gen.

I agree, the terrible rep crystal is the biggest tell here.