• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First rep - PAM 389 V6/KW (impression, mini review & pics)

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
Hey all! I just got my watch from the mail today and thought I'd share my experience with people. My TD was Ryan from InTime and service was first class.

19th Dec - Ordered on a Friday.. Not the most efficient thing to do. Things started moving on Monday, so 3 days wait.
27th Dec - QC took quite a while, 8 days. When I did receive it, I asked for close up pictures on the 15, 30 and 45 markers in case of bad paint. InTime (TD in question) replied saying the 45's paint wasn't good and went ahead and exchanged the unit without me asking. A good gesture though, absolutely appreciated.
29th Dec - Next set of QC surprisingly took only 2 days and again I requested more pictures of the dial.
30th Dec - Received more pictures and extremely happy - everything was approved and shipped. Oh and again this was a Friday.
4th Jan - Received tracking number, tracked at local courier website and surprisingly already cleared customs and in the middle of delivery! But I wasn't in town.
7th Jan - Picked it up at the post office, unboxed.

IMPRESSIONS - Why is it so small.....?
Some of you may have read this sticky over at the general discussion section and it is absolutely true. I was spending WAY too much time being concerned with all the little things. You wouldn't be seeing half the things in person, at all.
This is also my first "luxury" watch so I've never had any high end gens and I can't say how close the rep is to the gen or how close it feels to a gen but it does feel pretty darn good. I've also never handled an automatic watch, ever been beyond visually interested in watches until the past month nor cared about what people had on their wrists.

THE WATCH - Weighty!
Again, never actually owned/handled anything like this watch before this so I felt like it was pretty heavy. I've had 2 other digital watches and a really thin quartz on bracelet.

- Bezel: Turns nicely, minimal play in between clicks but I believe this is normal. I half expected the clicks to be higher pitched but this is a more "tough" clicking experince.
- Lume: Good. I've not timed how long the lume sticks around for but it charges up pretty quickly and is plenty bright to see in the dark.
- Construction: It's where it should be as said on RWI for a V6/KW version. Superb build quality, poor knurling and wrong case. The knurling quality is obviously much too small to observe without a loupe but the rough machining is actually quite easily seen when light reflects from it. Again, not a huge issue.. just a thought. Dial batons are nice, so are the hands, subdial, pearl, CG lever action, crown winding and all.
- Movement: An A7750, I have less than 24hr experience with this but it's OK, no major issues. BUT...... I caught the watch stopping for no reason once. I shook it a little and it started up again. The watch lags 5 and 10 mins twice when I looked at it but it looks to be running fine. I'm guessing the lag may be because of the watch stopping. I'll update again in a few days, I hope it doesn't crap out on me. I have no resources for service movement and I'm not sure I want to spend that much for a service.
- Rotor: Yes, you can hear it. Doesn't bother me though.
- Strap: Rubber accordion strap is cool. I'm on the last hole and it's still not as tight as I'd like to it be.. I'll be getting a leather strap to go with this baby. Suggestions? Maybe something up to $60 at most, I can't justify the spending for a $100 strap. How are Panatime straps anyway?
- Misc: The watch came packed well, plenty of foam to keep it from getting knocked around too much and a rubber casing around the bezel and CG like all Lum Subs come in. A rep Panerai strap changing tool came with it too - I did not expect this.

Anyway, I hope this helps clear things out for first time purchasers and on to the pictures! Pardon the dirty crystal and bezel :laugh:

C360_2016-01-07-13-31-25-824_zpssiitn2sz.jpg

C360_2016-01-07-13-32-50-647_zps9ut4pwuj.jpg

C360_2016-01-07-13-29-43-026_zps8dh5asrb.jpg

IMG_20160107_094809_zpsyhgswnbx.jpg

IMG_20160107_095505_zpssri6dhcm.jpg

QC pictures:

IMG_0289_zpsfgjpav7w.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsgppreaad.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsxk4c0ahe.jpg

23307_zps8z0dz1ro.jpg

^ Tracing, beat error and amplitude all looked VERY good to me despite +8s/day. But nothing a little regulation won't fix right?
A little disclaimer for those who don't know, timegrapher pic comes only AFTER approval of QC pics as has been in practice for InTime.

Any thoughts? How did it look on the wrist? Thanks for reading!

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
Looks great. You sure its not tight enough? Looks like its pinching into your wrist a bit in that one pic haha. Panatime straps are pretty good for the $40-50 price range. I'm wearing my 571 on the 26mm vintage "tobacco" brown strap.

fbfa77a98701a1895ad1eb5be9693600.jpg
6dfcdfbb148338d0c4a616d1e665bc1d.jpg

The accordion rubber is very very comfortable though!

A tip on the strap removal tool. It pulls apart into two pieces. To remove the strap push down on the circular button with one piece of the tool and push the lug bar out of the case with the other piece of the tool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
Looks great. You sure its not tight enough? Looks like its pinching into your wrist a bit in that one pic haha.

Thanks man! And well, considering the rubber strap stretches a little by design (the folds nearing the lugs), it wiggles a little more than I'd like on my wrist. I can also easily fit my little finger between the watch and my wrist. It's not horribly loose but I'd like it tighter.

I don't want to think twice about getting the watch wet (I've done it without hesitation), so I'll have to still think twice about getting a leather strap.. Do you know anything about Panatime's Anfibio straps? Or the RIOS1931 straps? They're supposedly "water resistant".

Oh, the 571 looking spot on with the leather strap btw. I've always toyed with the idea of having a lum sub with the numerals on the dial! I went with the 389 mainly because I felt the other subs had too much metal to show for my liking, so the ceramic bezel balanced things out for me.

Is this PAM 389 now considered a 1st class, or super Rep? The reason been our resident Dr Ale placed this as a 1st class under the guide

As mentioned in the first post, the latest observations of V6/KW PAM 389 from ALE's PAM guide is still present. No updates.

But to answer your question.. It is a First class rep because of two things: wrong case shape and poor knurling job on the bezel.
If case shape had been accurate and if knurling was done well (like Noob's PAM 243), this rep would EASILY be super rep!

The case shape isn't a big deal btw. Unless you truly did your study on the PAM 389 rep or gen, nobody will know. As for the knurling, it's not very nice and the angles of the chamfering etc aren't accurate but they're just micro details. So... you decide. There are still plenty of people buying the 389 DESPITE the flaws mentioned.

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
So I'm past 24 hours on the A7750 and time has been kept very well. I gave it a few hard hits on my palm, thinking it may stop the watch from stopping randomly again. Maybe that fixed it? I'll keep monitoring and leave updates.

shoes

19/8/14
I think the watch looks good, not too big on the wrist. Keep us posted about timekeeping once it's been worn and wound for a time as it should not be stopping like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
I haven't tried any of the water resistant straps yet, but in my experience the thick vintage leather straps hold up and age pretty well in water. They develop a distressed patina look that is pretty awesome.

indywatchguy

Renowned Member
26/1/13
Nice piece! not to thread crap but looks large for your wrist. I think you'd be suited better with no more than a 44mm. I'll take it off your hands:greedy:and the weight you speak of his due to it being a 47mm and you're not use to wearing large metal watches. If it was a 44mm titanium it wouldn't feel as heavy, also be glad you chose titanium if you think its heavy try wearing a 47mm stainless steel!​

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
Nice piece! not to thread crap but looks large for your wrist. I think you'd be suited better with no more than a 44mm. I'll take it off your hands:greedy:and the weight you speak of his due to it being a 47mm and you're not use to wearing large metal watches. If it was a 44mm titanium it wouldn't feel as heavy, also be glad you chose titanium if you think its heavy try wearing a 47mm stainless steel!​

Ha.. I have to say honestly I was a little underwhelmed by the look of the watch when I first received it and had my doubts prior to that but it's been really growing to me. I'm really liking the way it looks. The ceramic bezel perfectly balances the colours and the all baton markers on the dial keeps it occupied just nicely. Still wished the strap was tighter!

Anyway, update on the movement.. It's still stopping randomly but a little shake gets it running again and I can confirm this isn't a power reserve issue. The watch does not ever stop when I leave it on the table at night but stops when worn on my wrist during the day. I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is but with so many moving parts in the movement it really can be anything.

I've contemplated sending the watch for a service but with the strong USD against my currency it's really hard to fork out the cash.. Thought of doing a service myself too but buying the tools and oils are going to cost just as much :unsure:
I've never tinkered with a movement before let alone a 7750. But I'm pretty good with taking things apart and putting it all back so I'm honestly not too worried. I'll obviously have to do my research before trying anything stupid. I just sent Ryan an email telling him about the issue, we'll see how things go.

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
Have no doubts, the 389 is one of if not the best looking modern Pam sub's! Unfortunately I can't add any advice in terms of the movement. Where are you located? There are several watch smiths on the board who are located in EU as well as US

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks ihs0yz

Intersting pics and comments

I will inclue asap this link in PAM GUIDE

ALE

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
Have no doubts, the 389 is one of if not the best looking modern Pam sub's! Unfortunately I can't add any advice in terms of the movement. Where are you located? There are several watch smiths on the board who are located in EU as well as US

I'm located in Malaysia. Yeah, I know of Vac, Strodda and Domi. Am I missing anyone else? I've not tried to contact Katt yet. He doesn't work on 7750 does he?

Thanks ihs0yz

Intersting pics and comments

I will inclue asap this link in PAM GUIDE

ALE
What an honour ALE! Thank you so much for that and for your efforts with the PAM guide, truly a work of art. :drinks_cheers:

Nice review, thanks! The 389 Looks very good on your arm.

Thanks very much!

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
24HR UPDATE:
So since my last update.. The watch has stopped at least 5 times BUT there was one thing I did notice about it. The secs hand on the subdial seems to consistently stop at about 32 secs all the time; hour & minute hands not consistent, they stop anytime. Another thing about when the secs hand does stop, I think the balance wheel stops as well. I put the watch to my ear and don't hear the ticking when it happens. And as usual, a little shake gets the watch going. Now I'm wondering if the whack-to-the-palm thing I did actually made things worse..

Ryan has replied and asked if I'd like to send it back for the factory to have a look at, I have not replied him yet but I think I'll hold on to the watch for a bit and see if things get any better. Chinese new year is coming up too so I don't think it will be an ideal time to have things done.

PeaLow

Known Member
4/5/13
i bought the one with seagull movement after reading Ale's recomendation, it's been a few months now , and it still going strong, no problem so far, and it keeps better time than some of my gens :hypnotized:

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was never a fan of 389, at least not that much to actually order it, but lately it's starting to appear to me.
One advice. I was in your boat when I first get into PAM world, couldn't justify spending $100 or more on a leather strap but once you get something high end, you'll see it was worth it. Check Simona, Dirk, Wotancraft, Donerix and similar. If you can't stretch the budget, keep your eye on strap central, I got few amazing straps for not too much money. ;) Also, keep off from Panatime, they aren't worth $60. For that price (maybe few $$ more) I would check Bakeka, I'm sure [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION] will agree. :)
Sorry to hear about movement issues, hope you'll get it resolved.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I totally agree about Bakeka, the latest strap I received is amazing and it was about 70-75 euros:

indywatchguy

Renowned Member
26/1/13
Also check EBay I've got some amazing deals on gen Pam straps! And as Shelby said its worth the investment and will give your watch a complete gen appearance! I have gen straps on all seven of my PAMs

indywatchguy

Renowned Member
26/1/13
First rep - PAM 389 V6/KW (impression, mini review & pics)

I'm located in Malaysia. Yeah, I know of Vac, Strodda and Domi. Am I missing anyone else? I've not tried to contact Katt yet. He doesn't work on 7750 does he?

What an honour ALE! Thank you so much for that and for your efforts with the PAM guide, truly a work of art. :drinks_cheers:

Thanks very much!

A good service shouldn't cost you to much. I'd check with a local Watchsmith first. Since it's running it's probably an easy fix. I wouldn't worry to much. Enjoy your first PAM!

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
i bought the one with seagull movement after reading Ale's recomendation, it's been a few months now , and it still going strong, no problem so far, and it keeps better time than some of my gens :hypnotized:

Ah, I initially wanted to go for the seagull but I was worried about getting parts if anything was going to go wrong. And with the 7750, if I ever decided to go swiss I guess it'd be much more possible. So good for you though for having a fine movement, haha.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was never a fan of 389, at least not that much to actually order it, but lately it's starting to appear to me.
One advice. I was in your boat when I first get into PAM world, couldn't justify spending $100 or more on a leather strap but once you get something high end, you'll see it was worth it. Check Simona, Dirk, Wotancraft, Donerix and similar. If you can't stretch the budget, keep your eye on strap central, I got few amazing straps for not too much money. ;) Also, keep off from Panatime, they aren't worth $60. For that price (maybe few $$ more) I would check Bakeka, I'm sure @kilowattore will agree. :)
Sorry to hear about movement issues, hope you'll get it resolved.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I'll definitely check the ones you mentioned out - especially the Bakeka for 70-75 euros. For now I'll have the movement fixed first!

A good service shouldn't cost you to much. I'd check with a local Watchsmith first. Since it's running it's probably an easy fix. I wouldn't worry to much. Enjoy your first PAM!

And the problem with local watchsmith is you have no clue where to look for one who will work on reps. I recently met a guy who's some sort of watch connoisseur, asked him for recommendations and he said he doesn't know anyone who will work on reps. But the guy himself has a thing against reps so I don't know if he just refuses to tell me..