• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need some advice on dealing with a TD

micahtheprophet

26/11/11
Canada
So some background info.

I've bought a bunch of watches from a TD over the last year. Most are of the "higher end" models, and not the cheap entry level models.

I recently received a DD2 Swiss and the minute adjustment no longer works. It's less than a month old. The day and date adjustment works and the movement works but I cannot set the time. Also the little rolex crown has fallen off the strap lock.

This is the third time that I've had an issue with a watch from this TD. The first two times were minor fixes which I ended up paying for out of my own pocket to fix locally. Both times I would relay the info to the TD and their offer was always to send the watch back to fix. However the cost of sending a watch back to China is a lot higher than taking it to my watch smith to have looked at.

I still love the selection and quality that I receive from this TD, and I'm just curious what your thoughts on how I should proceed. I just feel frustrated that yet again I have another quality rep with an issue a month later.

I've emailed him to see what his resolution is, but to be honest I'm pretty sure I will get the same answer again. Send it back.

Thoughts?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I would just send it back. Considering the movement is broke and the crown fell off the clasp it just sounds like a bad watch. Either the dealer will repair or replace the movement and replace the clasp with a new one or maybe just give you a new watch, so thats probably you best option.

honbernei

Horology Curious
19/11/13
Just send the broken watch back and tell them you want it to be replaced with a new one. Many dealers told us to deliver the broken watch back to get it repaired, but the postage cost is too expensive, so most of the time we have it fixed in local store, however, that's unfair to our buyers even these dealers promised to give us more higher discounts on next order.

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Third time? You buying from the same dealer after 2 faulties? Are you serious???
Well... feel sorry for your 3rd watch, mate, but I guess, you deserve it.
And... you like selection and quality? So, this dealer has his own factory? If not... How's his selection and quality is different from other dealers?
Just asking...

Reactions: Vineetd23

micahtheprophet

26/11/11
Canada
I hear what you're saying. Not necessary to make me feel like an idiot about it. Like I said the first two times were small issues, nothing glaring like this time.

As for selection and quality, all I'm saying is that I like what he has to offer through his website and outside of these few issues all the watches I've ordered from him are top notch.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Third time? You buying from the same dealer after 2 faulties? Are you serious???
Well... feel sorry for your 3rd watch, mate, but I guess, you deserve it.
And... you like selection and quality? So, this dealer has his own factory? If not... How's his selection and quality is different from other dealers?
Just asking...

This is all horseshit and don't listen to a word of it.

You deserve what you paid for, a quality rep. Name your dealer for us please. Its not necessary to keep it secret,

Reactions: RunningFast

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
This is all horseshit and don't listen to a word of it.

You deserve what you paid for, a quality rep. Name your dealer for us please. Its not necessary to keep it secret,

So, what's wrong with saying one should change his dealer after receiving three watches with issues?
I would do the same and that's my humble advice to the OP (after getting a new working watch that is).

And no, there's no need to keep the dealer's name secret, but AFAIK it's recommended on the forum not to post complaints on TDs prior to contacting a mod.
The dealer here offered (or will likely offer) an acceptable solution after all.
Sending a watch back to china is a PITA for sure, but that's what most, if not all, TDs will offer.

Just my 0.02 ;)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
He can buy from any dealer he wants but the poster said the first two problems were minor, probably common rep issues, I don't F'ing know. The third problem is a bad watch, so I think he should send it back for repair or replacement. I sure wouldn't pay to have a new watch fixed.

We can and should encourage all members to post actual events as they happen. We don't have to contact the dealer first. I'm not saying open a thread and start a bashing party, but being open as to what actually arrived in the box and any problems instead of keeping it secret.

The problem with what Luth said was the guy deserves it, F that, its just rude and total BS.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
^^ I agree.and naming the dealer keeps the pressure on to deal fairly with our members.that's part of what this forum is about

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Mike, exactly. I don't understand why some guys don't get this.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
I agree with sub, as usual he knows his shizzle.

Coop

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
He can buy from any dealer he wants but the poster said the first two problems were minor, probably common rep issues, I don't F'ing know. The third problem is a bad watch, so I think he should send it back for repair or replacement. I sure wouldn't pay to have a new watch fixed.

We can and should encourage all members to post actual events as they happen. We don't have to contact the dealer first. I'm not saying open a thread and start a bashing party, but being open as to what actually arrived in the box and any problems instead of keeping it secret.

The problem with what Luth said was the guy deserves it, F that, its just rude and total BS.

^^ I agree.and naming the dealer keeps the pressure on to deal fairly with our members.that's part of what this forum is about

Mike, exactly. I don't understand why some guys don't get this.

It's not that I don't get it, I just have a slightly different opinion.

I agree we need to put pressure on the TDs to deal fairly with us, but I think this dealer has been fair so far by offering to change/fix the watches if returned, so no pressure needed in my opinion.

As for the shipping cost on the buyer for returning the watch to china, I'm happy to know that you wouldn't pay for it, but that's what the dealer's here are offering. We should consider that the shipping of the fixed watch is on the dealer too, that's why this practice is widely considered fair.

Moreover I think that starting a thread about a defective watch naming the dealer without even asking him for a solution would have APPEARED like the OP wanted to bash him.

I don't see why there's no need to contact the dealer first. That's common business practice when there's an issue with a product.

We want them to be fair, we should be fair as well.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I think its always a good idea to contact the dealer first to work out any issue, that should be common sense and I believe it is what the poster did. But I also know many guys let shit go and don't post about problem watches, which is a big mistake.

When we accept sub par watches and don't post about it we give the dealers and probably the factories the idea that this low level quality will be accepted and we all pay the price of that.

Fact is most of these dealers are charging big bucks for reps, infact they are charging some of highest prices we've seen. Now if your gonna ask those kinda of bucks for a replica then you better be delivering a quality product. You want a customer to spend four or five hundred on a replica then check that watch over three times and make sure your not sending out a faulty product.

Its not about bashing a dealer on a personal level, its about any member signing on and posting about the product they received. If its a favorite dealer or not shouldn't matter. Post the dealers name, post pics of your watch, and tell us your honest opinion of the watch. That's the only way this site or any of us have any credibility. We don't let any dealer get away with sending sub par watches to any of us and if they do then we tell everyone.

micahtheprophet

26/11/11
Canada
I've contacted the TD and he has requested me to send the watch back to him. He has not indicated whether or not it'll be fixed or replaced.
I will followup on this thread once I find out what happens.

As for revealing who it is, the TD is not from this forum but from RWG. He's been around a long time with great rep. I will wait to see what happens.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
^^ +1. If he's not a TD here then...

Its not really about the dealer being a TD here or not (I do understand your point), its the fact these guys start these threads then leave out information,
in this case the dealers name.

There is no reason not to share the dealers name, it makes no sense to be to scared to post which dealer it was. Either post the whole story or keep it to yourself. We like to inform each other here, that's what were all about. Listen, if your dealer sends you bad watches its the dealers fault, the dealer should have inspected the watch better to avoid problems. Not posting the dealers name helps no one here and if you think your gonna get some special treatment because you with held the name your out of your F'ing mind.