• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KW PAM 382 – Quick Open Review and general discussion ************

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Hey guys,

I have been on vacation in St. Thomas (USVI) for the past week and I thought I would come back to find a whole bunch of KW 382 reviews. This doesn't seem to be the case, so I guess my review won't be beating a dad horse. I shouldn't really call this a review, since I will need a lot more wrist time before I form strong opinion--so take my first impressions with a heavy grain of salt. St. Thomas is one of the major north american hubs for jewelry and watch sales, so I certainly took as much time as I reasonably could checking out the stores. While there, I happen to come across a shop that was selling a pre-owned pam 507. It's my understanding that the 507 is identical to the 382, with the exception of the power reserve indicator on the dial. I got to try on the 507 and I examined it for a sold 10 minutes--trying to absorb it as much as possible for this comparison. I also found some great photos of the gen for comparison.

The Watch on the Whole:

The KW 382 is another very impressive build from KW. The watch is very well made, with the typical KW quality finish. The 382 is a more complex watch than my KW 312 or 390, which also makes it that much harder to nail down. As you might expect, there are plenty of minor flaws, but nothing that really stands out as a major issue or reason not to buy the watch. For the price, it's very hard to complain!!! This is definitely 90% gen for 5% of the price. I also think that, based on some other reviews and comments, there are number of complaints about certain aspects of this watch (the pearl for example) that may be a bit overblown and point out flaws that don't really exist, while overlooking other more significant flaws. I'll go through the watch piece by piece for a breakdown and comparison to gen.

Here's a wristie to get your appetite going:

IMG_20140707_114159.jpg

THE CASE SET:

KW has developed a well-deserved reputation over the past 2 years of making/sourcing some of the best pam case sets in all of repdom. The case set for its 382 is no exception. It is very well finished and very close to gen. It's hard to see the finish of a watch in a picture. It's more of a "feel". The KW 382 case feels well finished--and very close to the gen 507 I handled a few days ago. There are no rough edges. The quality of the brushing is very good and the bronze has a nice pink tone to it after a nice ketchup bath. It' hard to compare in pictures because lighting and camera settings makes a huge difference, but the color is definitely closer to rose than the yellow gold--albeit more of a reddish copper.

Here's a few comparison shots with the genuine 382:

Rep KW 382 (taken under lousy office quality fluorescent lighting):

IMG_20140707_143949.jpg

Gen 382:

panerai382bronzee.jpg

KW 382:

IMG_20140707_150735.jpg

Gen 382:

panerai382bronze%25203.jpg

THE CROWN GUARD:

The crown guard on the KW 382 is actually pretty darn good. Unllike some of the other 1950's style cases that I have owned, the inside of the CG on the 382 is not cut in a rectangle. Instead, there is a little bit of a point towards the center.

GEN 382 CG:

panerai382bronze%25206.jpg

Although the angle of the point in the middle of the CG on the KW 382 isn't quite perfect, it still has the same effect::

KW 382

IMG_20140707_142359.jpg

As you can see both the KW and Gen 382 cg has a bit of a peak on the inside top edge, but the KW CG's peak is slightly more pronounced. A little sanding might smooth it out a bit and the machining on my CG may not be the same as on other KW 382's and certainly not as refined as the gen. While we have these pictures in front of us, I do like the CG lever on the KW, but let's compare it with the gen. They look pretty close on the top of the lever, but the roller section at the bottom needs work. Notice how the roller portion sticks out too much on the front of my KW compared with the gen:

Gen 382:

panerai382bronzee.jpg

KW 382:

IMG_20140707_142101.jpg

I am not sure if this is true on other KW 382's, but it almost looks like someone did it on the machining process. It doesn't seem to effect the functionality of the roller and it's not something that is very noticeable in person, but it definitely could have been done better. Here's another picture from the back of the watch:

KW 382:

IMG_20140707_142248.jpg

Strangely, this issue is not apparent from the back of the watch. This leads me to believe that this may be a CQ issue unique to my watch. That said, the lever does "snap" shut--which I like. I would also note that while on some KW 382's, it seems the crown is a little too close to the case, but this is only evident when the crown is closed. While opened, the crown rests in the proper position. It may be the case that the waterproofing gasket may be to soft/thin???I am going to play this evening to get a little more spacing.

THE BEZEL:

KW did a super job on the bezel. The finish is very good. The bezel is straight on my watch and clicks nicely. It is not quite as smooth as my noob 243 v2/v3, but it's not too far behind either. The pearl is not perfect, but it is close to the gen--more so than others have suggested. The pearl does appear to be white in person, but it has strong lume and easily picks up a little green in pictures. While some people have noted this to be a "flaw", I don't agree. As is evident from my time with the 507 and in the pictures with the gen 382 below, the pearls both are white in person, but also show green in pictures. Here are some pictures for a comparison:

Gen 382 Pearl:

panerai382bronze%25204.jpg

KW 382 Pearl:

IMG_20140707_143148.jpg

Another view:

IMG_20140707_143143.jpg

IMG_20140707_143148.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, the KW 382 actually looks more white in this picture than the gen. It really depends on the moment, lighting and the amount of charge in the lume. I have a feeling people have gotten use to the white pearl on the ZF that is much less accurate. In fact, the ZF pearl looks too much like the pearl in the panerai promotional photos--which don't look anything like the real deal. Promotional photos intentionally change or conceal certain details to thwart rep makers. You have to go by comparison to honest third party pictures (or the real 382 in the flesh). The lume on both the gen 382 and KW is also very strong (and appear to be identical in quality). The pearl lume may be a little more bulbous in the KW 382, but it's not so easy to tell in person. The pearl bezel is a bit more polished and flatter on the gen, but this too is hardly noticeable in person. The hatch marks are accurate on the bezel, as are the 15, 30 and 45 minute marks--all of which are crisply printed. The minute markers are good as well, although my 40 minute marker is a bit "shorter" than the others. I think this is something that can be adjusted, but I will not be taking off a well aligned and smoothly functioning bezel just to fix a minor niggle like this.

I know Ale is all about the knurling on the bezel. The knurling on the bezel looks good to me, but I'll leave it for Ale to opine:

IMG_20140707_143130.jpg

IMG_20140707_143158.jpg

Case Back:

The case back is excellent. Good quality engraving and sapphire crystal on the rear--which seems to be the standard for KW, while other makers (including gen makers like Hamilton) use mineral crystal for their exposition case backs.

IMG_20140707_142255.jpg

CONCLUSION

I am very pleased with the quality of the watch overall. It may not be a super rep, but it is really a stunning watch and offers a lot of value of the money. As is often the case, there are some small details that need to be refined, but I think it's an excellent start. I haven't owned the ZF version, so I can't compare the two watches, but I have no trouble with recommending the KW. It feels a lot like the gen and would easily hold up under scrutiny from all but the most discerning of paneristi (those that know panerai well enough to spot the disguised A7750). Also, for those of you that are interested, the strap is an dark brown ostrich strap from panatime (XL). Great quality strap and a good value. Some members may also be I am probably missing a number of flaws that maybe you guys can see from my pictures. Please feel free to chime in. I'll post some more pictures below.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

IMG_20140707_114204.jpg

IMG_20140707_114148.jpg
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

IMG_20140707_132914.jpg

LUME SHOT:

IMG_20140707_114223.jpg

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
I started this thread thinking it would be a quick review and it took on a life of its own. :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks set2374 for this magnificent review

Let me some time to study it and doing my comments

For the moment rep points added and, of course, I will include this review in PAM GUIDE asap

Congrats
ALE

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
As you can see both the KW and Gen 382 cg has a bit of a peak on the inside top edge, but the KW CG's peak is slightly more pronounced. A little sanding might smooth it out a bit and the machining on my CG may not be the same as on other KW 382's and certainly not as refined as the gen. While we have these pictures in front of us, I do like the CG lever on the KW, but let's compare it with the gen. They look pretty close on the top of the lever, but the roller section at the bottom needs work. Notice how the roller portion sticks out too much on the front of my KW compared with the gen:

Gen 382:

panerai382bronzee.jpg

KW 382:

IMG_20140707_142101.jpg

I am not sure if this is true on other KW 382's, but it almost looks like someone did it on the machining process. It doesn't seem to effect the functionality of the roller and it's not something that is very noticeable in person, but it definitely could have been done better.

I hate to say but that CG lever should have been caught during the QC processing. Here's mine for comparison:

20140629_090953_zps62c1b939.jpg

matsukoy

Known Member
6/7/13
Cool review thanks!

What can you say about the print on the gen dial compared to kW? Heard gen is glossy and kW is matte finished?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
My biggest issue on this piece isn't cosmetic at all, its the functionality. The small defects on the knurling, pearl, CG and crown spacing are pretty menial -- I don't expect perfection or "gen-like feel." The power reserve, however, is a joke. 12 hours maximum. I have a KW 359 with the same movement and it runs like a champ, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Perhaps some of the more seasoned horologists could chime in, but it seems odd to me that the movement has to be rewound twice a day ...

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
My dial has glossy print and looks greats -- no complaints.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
My biggest issue on this piece isn't cosmetic at all, its the functionality. The small defects on the knurling, pearl, CG and crown spacing are pretty menial -- I don't expect perfection or "gen-like feel." The power reserve, however, is a joke. 12 hours maximum. I have a KW 359 with the same movement and it runs like a champ, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Perhaps some of the more seasoned horologists could chime in, but it seems odd to me that the movement has to be rewound twice a day ...

I cant comment on PR yet, but the movement seems to be doing well and winds smoothly. If you are.getting less than a 12 hour pr, you have a bad movement. After seeing that good crown lever and better finished cg, I think I am going to ask sead.to source me a replacement cg.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
My dial has glossy print and looks greats -- no complaints.

None here either. Dont see a difference between my KW dial print and the print on the gen 507. Look at the gen 382 pictured above. Not much difference as far as I can see.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I cant comment on PR yet, but the movement seems to be doing well and winds smoothly. If you are.getting less than a 12 hour pr, you have a bad movement. After seeing that good crown lever and better finished cg, I think I am going to ask sead.to source me a replacement cg.

It winds well and starts right up -- I have a feeling the main spring is the issue, but it's not enough to total the movement at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
It winds well and starts right up -- I have a feeling the main spring is the issue, but it's not enough to total the movement at this point.

If you are getting 12 hours a full wind, you need a full service. I have had a.few A7750's with poor power reserve. My safari has been getting less than 12 hours a year and it finally died on me.last week. I am going to send it to going for a full service and graphite treatment. A7750's require a little luck.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great review, thanks for sharing :)

matsukoy

Known Member
6/7/13
Mine finally arrived. I've handled zf but sold it. Personally I like kW better. Both not perfect. I never handled the gen so can't comment on the case Color but out of the box I like how the patina developes in kW compared to zf out of the box. The strap is miles better. Value for money if you don't wanna spend extra for strap, kW win.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Mine finally arrived. I've handled zf but sold it. Personally I like kW better. Both not perfect. I never handled the gen so can't comment on the case Color but out of the box I like how the patina developes in kW compared to zf out of the box. The strap is miles better. Value for money if you don't wanna spend extra for strap, kW win.

The KW straps are usually decent. The one on the 382 isnt shabby, but it is on the stiff side. If your spending $500 for the watch, you may as well spend another $75 to $100 for a.hogh quality strap. It makes the watch.

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
I don't think that gen watch makers hide details in promo images to thwart rep makers. Reps have very little effect on gen sales. The gen watch brands actually count the number of reps seized as an indication to the most popular brand.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12

Nalomb, I think I am getting the same batch as you are.
Mine definitely dies before that 12hrs off my wrist.

And 90% of the time (the longer I don't use it), I have to bump the watch hard to a pillow or something else to make the movement starts. Simple time-setting and then wear it would not do any good.

To the OP, I think you are having the latest batch from KW. I can see that from the white pearl. Mine and I'm sure nalomb's is an old batch with greenish pearl.
Oh yea, one more thing, despite all lighting conditions, I can still be SURE there is really 2 pearl colors out in the market.
Congrats man, you are lucky.

eshow3907

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/13
Great review, I am really looking forward to my KW382 arrival.

TheDonSL

28/12/13
Excellent review! What strap is that and where did you purchase your KW from?

TheDonSL

28/12/13
Just ordered mine from TS with the bronze sub buckle, excited!!!