• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pressure Testing Pams

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Ciao Paneristi,

I posted this over on the main board but no input so thought I’d open a discussion here as it’s only Panerai reps I have and plan on having:

I wanted to get other members experience with pressure testing their reps beyond the standard 3bar/30 metres level.

I really love my reps having just got into this hobby and the one kryptonite for me is that barrier to getting into the water with them - so have been speaking to watchsmiths about waterproofing etc.

10bar/100m is ideal for me as I love snorkelling!

I recently got a new XF Pam127 and took it a local watchsmith who has the pressure tester up to 10bar/100m.

When I told him it was a rep he became very concerned and said the pressure would likely ‘pop the glass’ of a rep. He struck the fear of god into me but I gave him the green light to proceed.

3 bar/30m test (for resistance against splashed - Passed

5bar/50m test (for shallow swimming, showering)- Passed!!!

We stopped there rather than test at 100m but the question is, should I have? Were his fears justified?

Of course, if the watch breaks from the test I can fix it, but ideally you’d want to avoid this step.

Has anyone tested their rep as high as 10bar/100m and what was the results or effects on the watch?

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
I would also be interested to learn about the experiences of other participants.

From myself I can only say that yes, I read about cases when the watches "exploded" during the test, however, as you can imagine, it all depends on the pressure, the specific model and, what is most difficult, the specific instance.
Therefore, even having received some statistics of answers, you still have this risk.

Also, personally, I would be content with 50m, and would not test at 100.
However, as far as I remember, getat once sold its homages with a 100m guarantee(I remember exactly that this applied to 45mm radiomirs with solid caseback) , so it is technically possible. The question is, how many cases must be sorted out in order to get this result on one.

But nothing stops me from trying, especially on steel / titanium submersibles.

Yes, regarding PAM127 I would finish on 50m and would be happy about it. Dome crystal with potentially uneven thickness and unforeseen pressure distribution, transparent caseback, and finally, that I would not dive into pam127. There are many submersibles designed to do this, at least constructively, even in the form of a rep. I would definitely risk checking an empty case from rep pam243, for example, under pressure.

Last edited:

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Yeah, good point about the domed crystal. I’m really happy it passed at 50m but I was so tempted to push it!

I’ve got a Pam968 en-route and will test that straight away and report back.

Do you think that the 968 would be a safe rep to test up to 100m?

I seem to remember reading that one member said there’s had passed at that level and used it for surfing.

Nottingham

15/6/19
Yeah, good point about the domed crystal. I’m really happy it passed at 50m but I was so tempted to push it!

I’ve got a Pam968 en-route and will test that straight away and report back.

Do you think that the 968 would be a safe rep to test up to 100m?

I seem to remember reading that one member said there’s had passed at that level and used it for surfing.
Bro, factories making reps usually make genuine parts as well. So tolerances are better and better now. And Watches water resitance is fairly honorable OTB. If you ever doubt it, Grease you seals with silicone and thighten your case back and crown and have it tested.
The simple fact an xf 127 passes 50 meters is a proof that water resistance is really good without modding. Do not compare 30 meters WR as writen on the back of a casio witch means it Can withstand only rain and a water pressure test of 30 meters depth witch means your watch Can really go at this depth.
Those reps are now Real Watches with reliable movements (usually) and AFAIC i swim with a V6 pam571, my getat 111 and 45mm radiomir in the pool and the sea with silicone straps and it is ok.
Cheers

Reactions: Touring Hide

Nottingham

15/6/19
Bro, factories making reps usually make genuine parts as well. So tolerances are better and better now. And Watches water resitance is fairly honorable OTB. If you ever doubt it, Grease you seals with silicone and thighten your case back and crown and have it tested.
The simple fact an xf 127 passes 50 meters is a proof that water resistance is really good without modding. Do not compare 30 meters WR as writen on the back of a casio witch means it Can withstand only rain and a water pressure test of 30 meters depth witch means your watch Can really go at this depth.
Those reps are now Real Watches with reliable movements (usually) and AFAIC i swim with a V6 pam571, my getat 111 and 45mm radiomir in the pool and the sea with silicone straps and it is ok.
Cheers
And forgot to Say i do skindiving with those 3

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
I'm a beginner hobbyist so my experience is limited, but I pressure test most of my reps when I get them, with a basic Amazon water resistance tank.
I never tested Pams reps, as I never actually dug into the waterproofing procedure for them, but I test my Rolex, Tudor or Breitling reps though.

Stating that a dive rep is still a dive watch, it's built to take the pressure. Of course it's all about the watch quality, but high ends should be ok for water resistance.
With good gaskets and proper greasing, the ones I tested passed the 6ATM without a bubble out (which is maximum pressure my tank can go). For instance my usual swimming/freedive watch is my Hfac Breitling Steelfish, and it regularly goes between 10 to 20 meters deep without a scratch. In a more extreme way, I took my Ploprof V1.5 rep (the one with the fake bezel release button) to 60m deep on a freedive sled a few weeks ago (with my Suunto D4 dive watch on my right wrist).

Overall for surface snorkeling and shallow summer dives a 5 ATM resistance is way enough. I'm not sure going 10 ATM is worth the risk to crush something.

When it comes to non-diver chronographs, pilot and dress watches (beside oyster cases for instance), I heard some watchsmiths don't take waterproofing for granted.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ombre

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
That’s really interesting insight guys.

I suppose the other point to the consider is that the pressure testing machine this guy was using had three settings - 3bar, 5bar and 10bar. I didn’t want to push it to the full 10bar but because my 127 passed at 5bar, it’s true fail depth might be further along at 6,7,8bar or potentially above that.

It’s amazing to hear how water friendly a rep can be. Once my 968 arrives I’ll go up to 5bar and report back.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Yes that'll be interesting. And even though 10ATM is useless for a normal wear of the watch it'll be exciting to validate such a pressure with a 968 indeed.

Again, as reps Pam Submersible are built as gens they should take lots of pressure.

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Yes that'll be interesting. And even though 10ATM is useless for a normal wear of the watch it'll be exciting to validate such a pressure with a 968 indeed.

Again, as reps Pam Submersible are built as gens they should take lots of pressure.

Wait - so you think I should test up to 10ATM with the 968?!

Its literally impossible to get until VSF is open again and got this from a TD who had it in stock prior to the raids. If it breaks I’m liable to jump off a bridge!

But am also very intrigued to push to 10ATM…but feel 5ATM is safer.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
...am also very intrigued to push to 10ATM…but feel 5ATM is safer.

Just saying it'be great to find out yes, but it's more like an experiment if someone wants to try it.

Please don't ruin your 968, I'd have to live with that lol !

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Just saying it'be great to find out yes, but it's more like an experiment if someone wants to try it.

Please don't ruin your 968, I'd have to live with that lol !

Hahahah! I’ll go to 5bar and stop there.

If VSF were open and running as usual I’d push it all the way to 10bar!!!

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
The last two Reps I had in Service where a ZZF Sub and a ZF Tudor BB Bronze and they where both positive tested at 10 ATM. So I see no reason why a 968 should not be able to master this level. In the next week I want to send a older 089 and a 692 to my watch maker for service and he allways combine this with a pressure test at 10 ATM. I will inform you. I think the 692 is compareable with the 968.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsullivan

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
The last two Reps I had in Service where a ZZF Sub and a ZF Tudor BB Bronze and they where both positive tested at 10 ATM. So I see no reason why a 968 should not be able to master this level. In the next week I want to send a older 089 and a 692 to my watch maker for service and he allways combine this with a pressure test at 10 ATM. I will inform you. I think the 692 is compareable with the 968.

That’s amazing. If you were to speculate, do you think they would’ve passed that test before the service was done? As in, straight from the factory?

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
That’s amazing. If you were to speculate, do you think they would’ve passed that test before the service was done? As in, straight from the factory?

Thats hard to say. I suppose by design yes. But I dont rely 100% in the quality control of the Rep Factories. I allready had some new Reps, where the gasket for the back plate was not inserted proper (also ZF ;-)). And as I am an amateur too, I cant controll the gasket of the crown. So no guarantee ;-)

Reactions: mrsullivan

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Factories pressure tests are a hit or miss, I would'nd take it for granted.

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Yeah, my first rep purchase was a Noob V12 Pam 005 and it failed at 30m.

The big thing for me though is not the failing, that’s fine, it’s destroying the watch in the process!

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Thats hard to say. I suppose by design yes. But I dont rely 100% in the quality control of the Rep Factories. I allready had some new Reps, where the gasket for the back plate was not inserted proper (also ZF ;-)). And as I am an amateur too, I cant controll the gasket of the crown. So no guarantee ;-)

Btw where are you getting this service and pressure test done? Someone on here?

What do they charge?

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
I get most of my watch works done by Johnny Depp or Nikz19 in Italy from the forum, Interaktiv is good too in Greece. You'll find them around the forum.