• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of Montblanc Timewalker Chronograph

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
timewalkeronecopyxl4.jpg

Montblanc is a brand I admire a lot for their seemingly effortless sense of style and beautiful simplicity. Their watches are all good looking, in my opinion, but the Timewalker series looks the best by far. Apparently designed by Officine Panerai, the Timewalker comes in a number of flavours, of which the Chronograph Automatic represents the highest level of complexity and price. I have to thank our Chinese friends and our friendly dealers for repping this masterpiece, as you will see that this is a very good rep.

The watch was ordered from Andew and arrived in four days to The Netherlands. Somehow, Andrew keeps amazing me with his great service, so he will be my dealer of choice for quite some time, I suspect.

I ordered the watch with leather strap for $258, while the gen with a leather strap retails for around $2,800 or €2,200. The strap was of average quality and I would have kept it, but it I decided to get a lighter brown croc strap that exactly matches my dress shoes. The strap you see in the pics is the new, hand made one, bought from http://www.watchbandcenter.com.

1. Overal Look & Feel

timewalkertwoqi0.jpg

I have had the pleasure to hold and inspect this watch at Harrods of London a few weeks ago, so my first impression was that the watch really looks and feels a lot like the real thing. It’s got the heavy weight, the impression of the finish is really high and all the chrome parts ooze quality. It’s a stainless steel case with a correctly slightly domed crystal. Both the front and the case back window are sapphire glass, which really makes a difference.

2. Case, Movement & Rotor Details

timewalkerbackmo2.jpg

The genuine Timewalker Chrono is powered by a Montblanc 4810/502 movement, which in the rep version is imitated by the by now famous New Asia 7750. The watch features a see-through case back, with an engraved rotor. The rep movement of course isn’t the same, but the rotor is really and accurately engraved, no decals and misspellings here. The engraving around the case back window is also very, very sharp, so I dare to say it is impossible to see the difference with the gen here, unless you use a 10x loup.

timewalkersidena6.jpg

The strap is connected to the case with simple push pins, but the Montblanc star engraved faux screws look the part here. If anyone knows whether the screws actually serve a purpose on a genuine Timewalker, please tell us. As far as I’ve seen the gen, it had push pins too. The screws are also very sharply engraved and look high quality.

On the left side of the case, there is a push button that can be used to adjust the date. On the replica it is there for cosmetic purpose only, as you change the date on a 7750 by twisting the crown.

Somehow, the case looks pretty fat from the side, but the watch never looks plump or too thick once it is on a wrist. Don’t know how the designers managed that, but they definitely did a good job.

timewalkercrowneh0.jpg

The crown and push buttons are visually very well replicated. Note how sharp the edges of the pushers are. The Montblanc star on the genuine crown seems to have a tiny seam between the black and white parts, to show that those are two pieces fitted together, instead of just the star being painted on. What amazed me was that this was also the case with the rep, as you can see in the picture.

The hatch texture on the side of the crown can be said to be identical to the gen. The crown operates as any other 7750, but on MB watches it doesn’t screw down. Twisting it clockwise winds the watch, click it out once to set date, pop it out further away to set the time.

3. The Dial

As replica collectors, we all know a rep stands or falls by the accuracy of the hands and dial. That is what people are looking at and that is the most detailed and difficult to copy part of a watch.

timewalker1bh4.jpg

The image on the left is a scan from the 2006 Montblanc catalogue, the right is the rep Timewalker. Notice that the crown is clicked out on the rep, to keep the watch static. First of all, please note that more than half of the watch is reflective, so it was very difficult to recreate the shot on the left perfectly, especially because professional photographers have a chrome set-up in their studios to make chrome things really shine. Second, the position of the watches are close, but not exactly the same, so any milimetric differences in size of things can be caused by this.

timewalkerheadsupkj1.jpg

The shot above is intended to measure spacing and size of important items on the watch. Note that the lighting is not the same, so the right image has a bit more depth. Apart from that, the bigger things as case size, push button size and the digits look the same.

The orange/brownish lines test the position and spacing of subdials and date window. They have been drawn on the gen (left) and placed on the rep. Notice the perfect subdial positions and spacing. The biggest thing that’s wrong here is the date window. It’s clearly out of position by half a millimetre and it’s a tad too small. The date window is by far the biggest ‘tell’, as it’s sunken in too far inside the watch. On the gen, it’s about 0,5 mm below the main dial, in the gen I would guess it’s over 1 mm below the surface.

The white marker under the number 6 also seems to be a bit to the left. The Montblanc Automatic letters above the subdials are spaced and sized to perfection, on the other hand, as they fit the gen dimensions perfectly.

The purple circles are used to compare hand sizes and the correct spacing of numbers. The minute and hour hands are spot on in length and look. The chrono second hand seems a little, maybe 0,3 mm too short. Also, the number 6 and the 5 ‘o clock marker don’t seem to fit the purple circle, but this could be due to a slightly different viewing angle.

timewalkermacrolo2.jpg

This close-up is intended to show the high quality of the MB letters, the markers and the extruding chrome markers and numbers. It’s really superb to see how good reps have become and how much detail goes into a watch like this one. Also, look at the quality of the subtle texture of the dial itself and at the sandwich construction (chrono holes are cut in the main dial, then chrono subdials are placed under it, just like in the gen. Everything is sharp and sexy.

And then, there is a phenomenon I can’t explain. The rep has three small marks between the minute marks. In the up-front comparison shot with subdial spacing measurement (the image before the macro), the left (gen) Timewalker has four small markers between the minute markers. Count them, it’s four (4) instead of three. Now look at the shot from the MB Catalogue (two images above the macro). Count the small markers in the gen. Three. Yes, 3.

The Montblanc website too shows the exact same watch to have 4 small markers between the minute markers, but their catalogue shows 3. Maybe this is a small model update or something. You can also see the markers in the catalog shot and on the rep to be a bit thicker than the ones in the up-front shot. Weird.

4. Summary

The MB Timewalker is a great looking watch and it’s Asia 7750 rep is a very, very accurate rep. The only visually obvious flaw is the sunken in date window which is also a little too small and out of positon. Apart from that, and the weird 3/4 sub-minute marker dispute, the watch looks the look.

The 28,800 bph 9 ‘o clock second hand glides effortlessly over the subdial, the chronos are smooth and the watch itself is full of crisp, sharp details. It has great finishing and an almost impossibly detailed dial. It’s also great to see the rotor to actually be engraved.

The movement is a semi-visible flaw (the person must know that model very, very well and inspect the movement to see that it’s not a Montblanc movement), but I believe it’s saved by the excellent rotor. The non-working receded date push button and the two-step crown are the technical flaws.

I hope you have enjoyed the review, my goal was to describe the watch qualities and flaws in detail and explain more about the rep. Thanks for reading. Please leave any comments or ideas for improvement. I’m finishing this one off with a wrist shot and special thanks to Andrew / Trusty for making buying reps so easy!

timewalkerwristfo0.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for hosting these huge images.

slojo

Horology Curious
16/3/07
Can I be the first to say what a fantastic, detailed, comparative review that is. Thanks for taking the time and looking forward to seeing more in the future.

S

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Definitely a creative way of comparative review. I like those circles way of comparing it to the genuine articles. Well done!

Veratio

13/3/07
That sure is an excellent review. Very detailed and thorugh (sp?). I enjoyed it alot. It made me want one, and that is what all good reviews does...

Niclas from Sweden

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad if it made you want one Veratio, but of course, it's equally important to show what's not 100%, as no rep is 1:1 and sometimes people are so happy with their new watch they can only praise it.

nmwdw

Looking Around
13/5/07
your review really impressed me! with all the detail pics and explanation.
Since I'm thinking about buying a timewalker rep, your review defenitely helps.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
[smilie=hello2.gif]

Excellent review, excellent shots, beautiful watch ! The side by side comparison is just awesome.
I have refrained from purchasing 7750 based watches, but I think that can't last forever... These MB Timewalker reps are really, really great !
I'm a MB fan too, and I can only regret that the Star and Summit series are not accurately repped.

BTW, it seems I owe your shoes something ! :wink:

As far as the design by Panerai is concerned : do you mean it ?

dangerman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/10/06
That was an excellent review.

Thank you for going to the trouble of putting that together. Very impressive work indeed.

I look forward to more of your reviews.

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Thank you for that cool review! I really enjoyed it!

Golfman

7/9/06
Congrats my friend : For a review it's a real one : everybody can see and understands differences between gen and rep (i am in rep for just 1 year, and english is not my language..)

Thanks again for this really excellent job .............. i want one (but the black dial one)

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Very interesting...

Well, now that you tell it, something was disturbing me on the Timewalker.
Finally I found what : the cannon pin is too low and the crown too loose !! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remsenor

4/5/07
Wow! Never thought the rep looked so identical to the gen. Except for the date font, everything looks spot on.

Thank you for the great detailed review. [smilie=thumbsup.gif]

spekoli

26/12/06
Very nice review.

Your time and effort put into this is obvious.

The date window would be a sore spot with me, but i will have to check out the GMT models after reading this.

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
That was really an awesome review. Great comparative photos!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
spekoli said:
(...) The date window would be a sore spot with me

It seems TT is selling the Timewalker with a Swiss 7753. Maybe this could solve the issue ? I don't know if his online pics correspond to the actual datefont you can get. The price is over 800 dollars, so it's probably a pity spending so much just for this specific issue.

What about modding the datewheel ? (and at the same time take the oppotunity to service the movement). That would surely make the rep perfect.

sexypapa

Known Member
17/3/06
Very nice!

What a review! :shock:
Very well detailed and explained.

I have this watch, too, and love it.
From the day I got it, it has become my daily beater and can't take it off my wrist. :D

But here is the part that I don't get it:
"The rep has three small marks between the minute marks. In the up-front comparison shot with subdial spacing measurement (the image before the macro), the left (gen) Timewalker has four small markers between the minute markers. Count them, it’s four (4) instead of three. Now look at the shot from the MB Catalogue (two images above the macro). Count the small markers in the gen. Three. Yes, 3."

Can you point this out by using a pic, if possible, to explain?
Thanks a lot!

Again, excellent review! [smilie=icon_salut.gif]