• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

aidubayusee (IWC)'s V6 Factory IWC 3878 Review

aidubayusee

Horology Curious
21/3/16
So let me preface this with I haven't purchased a replica watch since 2013. Which was a 7 days "super rep" (not sure if this is correct) from Trevor. It was decent, but not quite as authentic looking as I would have wanted. The V6 Factory IWC 3878-02 trumps it in every regard, and I am extremely happy with my choice. Also, the pictures I took are with a camera phone at work, not the best quality so do be advised.

So lets start things off with some pictures...

VMuFhoC.jpg%3F1

lGDBhIj.jpg%3F1

bnFcf5S.jpg%3F1

WKYXfwG.jpg%3F1

sIxUqTF.jpg%3F1

15MtPRs.jpg%3F1

s4Slogs.jpg%3F1

F5kCU33.jpg%3F1

And here are my initial 1/2 day's worth of details and thoughts...

Crystal -The crystal is great, extremely clear for a rep. However, I am contemplating sending it to Prof to make a Frankenrep with double AR coating... BUT, this was decided BEFORE I received the watch. He also received one, and said that the AR from V6 is great, but the reflections sometime detract from the beautiful sunburst dial. With that being said, it is not at all bad as you can see from the pictures.

The Dial - I really love the dial, the sunburst is subtle yet bold once it hits the right light.

Markers - All of my markers turned out to be great, with the exception of the 6 hour marker. It is ever so slightly tilted to the left, but at the advise of fellow RWI members, I ok'd the QC photos for this watch, as the rest of it seemed too good to pass up.

Hands - The hands seem to be well made, crisp lines and no glaring issues. The paintfill looks to be very good on all of the hands and markers.

Lume -
I couldn't really get a good lume shot with my phone yet, so hoping to give more details on this later.

Date Wheel / Date Window - No alignment issues as per the ZF model. Everything here looks good, as a quick scroll thru the dates showed no flaws in any numbers. The window's recessing seems to be quite similar to the gen.

Case - Case is beautiful, brushed and polished, very well done.

Back cover - The back cover came with a few minor marks (scratches?) near the plane, they are in an area which is unpolished and may be prone to these type of things, so just a FYI. Also, I've noticed on the caseback picture, there seems to be scratches along the outside edge (polished area), but I believe these to be reflections, as they are non-existent on my watch.

Crown - The crown feels a bit cumbersome, especially when putting it back into place after changing any settings. Not the easiest, but eventually it slots back into place. Changing settings is pretty straightforward. But I did notice, when you pull the crown all the way out to change the time, it feels a bit cheaply made and wobbly. Again, minor in terms of looks, but noticeable when using.

Movement - The second hand sweep is very fluid, no jerks. The chrono has a bit of "ticking" to it, but I am not overly experienced with chronos. It looks just like this gen does: https://youtu.be/q9RXft4tCs4?t=5m38s so it may be normal, however I thought I would just notate it. The big thing from the ZF was the issue with the 60 minute wheel being 2x as fast, however with the V6 there are no minute issues at all with the chrono.

Chrono Pushers - They feel solid, no wobbling around. They operate firmly and precisely. They look also as per gen.

Strap - Fitment into the clasp is a bit tight, but with a bit of force it will get into place. Other than that, the feel is OK, somewhat firm.

Clasp - The clasp feels good when warn. My 7 days' clasp would dig into my wrist a bit, but no issues here. The make of it feels sturdy as well.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions or picture requests and I will try to update this thread as much as I can.

shewie

Renowned Member
27/9/14
London
My humble opinion about this watch is clear and straight forward, we have a winner in this race, especially with this overall amazing execution by KW and whats important- fully functional 60min counter at 12o'clock. I'm starting regret of buying ZF instead of KW/V6F.
Waiting to hear second thoughts after arrival from @Variatio Delectat

I'd like to hear after weeks second thought about movement robustness

Thanks for this short but detailed review, rep points added. Wear it in good health, you have one amazing timepiece sir. @aidubayusee

aidubayusee

Horology Curious
21/3/16
My humble opinion about this watch is clear and straight forward, we have a winner in this race, especially with this overall amazing execution by KW and whats important- fully functional 60min counter at 12o'clock. I'm starting regret of buying ZF instead of KW/V6F.
Waiting to hear second thoughts after arrival from @Variatio Delectat

I'd like to hear after weeks second thought about movement robustness

Thanks for this short but detailed review, rep points added. Wear it in good health, you have one amazing timepiece sir. @aidubayusee

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I definitely need some more wrist time with the watch to give a full review.

And re: the 60min coutner: I started timing the 60min counter as of 23minutes ago, and so far it matches up exactly with my computer clock.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
The MOST important thing here is how the movement varies compared to ZF. ZF movement with their new transfer gear has been quite stable for many. Lets just hope the V6 version is using the same transfer gear mechanism. If not well it wont last long.

aidubayusee

Horology Curious
21/3/16
The MOST important thing here is how the movement varies compared to ZF. ZF movement with their new transfer gear has been quite stable for many. Lets just hope the V6 version is using the same transfer gear mechanism. If not well it wont last long.

What were the issues people having with the old ZF transfer gear, so I know what to look out for?

peterpl

24/7/11
^ You cant be 100% certain unless you open the movement and see the transfer gears. No-one as far as I know has done this on the V6 version.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
I picked up a zf mainly after reading a number of threads about the movement being at higher risk of being a timebomb. The 60 min counter would never bother me as i dont use the chronos and its never a good idea to use chrono on a A7750 movement. Crystal i dont recall being as good as yours, but its currently with Prof, so will compare once back.

Great review btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaWatt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/15
Silicon Valley, CA
Great review! I've been eyeballing these too.

Question: is the paintfull on the 4 & 5 markers good? Perhaps it is the light in the photos, but it appears smudged to me. I'm thinking it is just the chrome finish on the edges that is confusing my eyes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

aidubayusee

Horology Curious
21/3/16
Great review! I've been eyeballing these too.

Question: is the paintfull on the 4 & 5 markers good? Perhaps it is the light in the photos, but it appears smudged to me. I'm thinking it is just the chrome finish on the edges that is confusing my eyes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Reflection of light off of the chrome edges is what you're seeing below

IXgYRwK.jpg

Here's a shot I just took with no reflections. It is slightly out of focus tho so mind you... But it better represents the paintfil

jXP58dN.jpg

Alcander

19/6/13
Very nice mate.
Thank you for a perfect review and some fantastic photos

yakon_88

Renowned Member
24/4/14
Great review mate! Thanks for it. Might grab one myself thanks to you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
Just received and accepted my QC for this watch. Have to say it looks pretty good.