• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3714 V3 Review

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
For a long time I have been dreaming of a portuguese chrono 3714 but was afraid of the second at 6o'clock desease. Well after many other watches on my list, I was down to this one again and could not resist anymore. If the thing dies, I'll try to fix it...

So I finally bought a V3 (Or V2 as referenced on different TD's website). The IWC Ardoise dial always mesmerized me.

Case
At first sight, this watch is simply perfectly proportioned, delicate, precise and bloody sexy! At second sight... well it remains as beautifull! If you have never held a Portuguese in your hands, even if it is only a rep, you are missing an entire chapter of what a watch should be!
The shap of the bezel really gives this watch a unique style. The way it is rounded to extended the curve line of the crystal and then comes back under the crytal is really nice.

Dial
Let the pictures here below speak for themselves...

Hands
Precise, delicate, PERFECT! They are like needles indicating with precision the time. Easy to look at without being too bold and gross.

Crystal
V3 was mentionning ARed crystal, I can appreciate the fact that there is some AR, but it is not sufficient in my mind for a darker dial. My A7753 Timewalker has a killer AR, and this is nothing compared to it. I had to work hard in order to find angles with limited reflection for the pictures here below.

Crown
The logo is not contrasting enough, it is too smooth. The key works is very well defined allowing good grip on the crown for adjusting the time. The crown/stem assy requires a bit more effort to rotate than my other 7750 watches.

Strap
Rep strap... the croc patern looks pretty artificial. The length of the small side is not optimal for a deployant clasp. Is the gen like this? Anybody?

Deployant Clasp
This clasp has the latest font style from IWC. The finish is not as good as the one on my Big Pilot, edges are sharp, polish is not even and engraving is not as deep.

Back case
Same quality as the rest of the watch. The brushed finish is nice and smooth.

Pusher
I thought they would feel flemsy and loose because of the way they are shaped, but they are and feel solid.

Movement

The hacking seconds hand sweeping is pretty jerky, it is worst when the watch sits flat. I guess it is from the friction of the gears against the bridges. The Chronograph hand is sweeping pretty smooth though.

jBief1w.jpg

1Xo1Wnw.jpg

JLqPwpb.jpg

HTUAsHL.jpg

0RHKZSW.jpg

4RpyVo0.jpg

WZBFoWJ.jpg

UJPfriw.jpg

gPeCpOw.jpg

I think this watch fits nicely in the family ;)

4eXJz4m.jpg

Ed911

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/12/11
EU
Very good work and beautiful pics. Thanks.

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Thanks for taking the time to do a little review.

Do you have a link to the TD site for this one? I can't find it.

Any chance you could add a short vid to show the sweeping sundial?

What's your wrist size?

Nice collection BTW.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Very classy watch, and great collection you have. Love the strap you got on the big pilot, mind if I ask where you got that from?

vanquish0000

17/11/12
Great review...I love that strap on the IWC TG doppel, I got one myself and it makes a huge difference!!! Now I want a portuguese....

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
Thanks for taking the time to do a little review.

Do you have a link to the TD site for this one? I can't find it.

Any chance you could add a short vid to show the sweeping sundial?

What's your wrist size?

Nice collection BTW.
Hi Cromag, here is a link to a TD: http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_189&products_id=10952
I'll try to do a Vid in the next few days, oh, by the way, my wrist is 7.5 inches.

Very classy watch, and great collection you have. Love the strap you got on the big pilot, mind if I ask where you got that from?
The Big Pilot Strap is Gen ;)

Great review...I love that strap on the IWC TG doppel, I got one myself and it makes a huge difference!!! Now I want a portuguese....
Yeah, I loved the rep strap and could not find anything having the look of it. This strap is made of the same material.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-Kevlar-Genuine-Leather-Watch-Band-Strap-For-IWC-BIG-PILOT-Portuguese-Watch-/370939047420?pt=US_Watch_Bands&hash=item565db0adfc

valante

I'm Pretty Popular
20/2/13
nice review and gorgeous pics man......

Dont forget to post every 3 months telling us, on how this baby hold up.

i bet theres hundreds member here wanting this item but several negative post, turn them off..

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
I synched it with my Black Berry at 6h30 this morning and so far it is just a bit under 1 second faster at 9. I would have thought that the drag caused by the transfer gear would slow the movement down. But so far so good guys!
I hack the movement every night when removing the watch to really know how long did it really last.

I will keep records of the performance of the watch on a recurring basis.

This post will be updated everytime I wear the watch.
Friday Nov 8 - 3 hours
Saturday Nov 9 - 8 hours
Sunday Nov 10 - 12 Hours
Monday Nov 11 - 10.5 hours
Thursday Nov 14 - 12 Hours
Thursday Nov 21 - 11 hours
Wednesday Nov 28 - 21 hours
Tuesday Dec 3 - 8 hous
Wednesday Dec 4 - 11 hours
Tuesday Dec 10 - 37.5 hours (forgot to stop it when I took it off! )
Thursday Dec 12 - 36 hours (Forgot again!)

Running sum: 169 hours

ehhcl3537rwi

9/7/13
I synched it with my Black Berry at 6h30 this morning and so far it is just a bit under 1 second faster at 9. I would have thought that the drag caused by the transfer gear would slow the movement down. But so far so good guys!
I hack the movement every night when removing the watch to really know how long did it really last.

I will keep records of the performance of the watch on a recurring basis.

This post will be updated everytime I wear the watch.
Friday Nov 8 - 3 hours
Saturday Nov 9 - 8 hours
Sunday Nov 10 - 12 Hours
Monday Nov 11 - On going

Running sum: 23 hours

Thanks man, your watch looks gorgeous I want one I will be watching this thread with anticipation.

Do you really think its necessary to hack the watch every night to extend the longevity?

I'd much rather see how long this thing will last when its constantly running.

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
The thing is that I have 12 watches part of my rotation pool. So every day I wear it, it will die in my drawer therefore it will be impossible to know how long did it run... 2 hours? 14 hours? 26?.... There is no date on that watch ;)

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Damn you man, just when i have my mind set on one, you go and post another review and make me start questioning myself. Beautiful dress watch. So nice!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Damn good review mate! Excellent work, well done.

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
Thank you everybody for the feedback, My english is not perfect, but I try to have better pictures to compensate ;)