• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Looking at Santos 35mm models, my take for now:
1/Bracelet:
BVF has the best bracelet, screws are to scale and flush with the bracelet, the bracelet fits tightly with the case. V6F screws are flush but too large. GF has the worst bracelet, screws are too large and too recessed. From the pictures the BVF leather strap looks better than the GF.
2/Bezel screws:
BVF bezel screws seem to have the wrong shape (sort of flat on the top and a chamfered side). V6F and GF seem to be more accurately shaped (not flat). The screws on the GF are more recessed and V6F maybe too flush, I feel like the gen is kind of in between.
3/Printing:
On the V6F the letters on the Cartier printing are so close they are touching, not very accurate. Printing on the GF overall seems to be sharper and therefore closer to gen.

There are other differences but I would say these matter the most to me.
That makes it hard for me to make a choice here. I guess the best would be the GF with BVF bracelet, but that doesn't make much sense financially.
The BVF would probably make a fine watch if there is a way to change the bezel screws (printing would still be too thick, but we can't have it all). Is it possible to order bezel screws from the TDs? And would they even fit?

Edit: I'm a basing my opinion on pictures from PureTime and pictures of gens found on Google, so not super reliable. Please point it out if I got something wrong.
Also with BVF I refer to the V2 which has a better bracelet than V1.

I've compared the GF bracelet to gen bracelet and they are almos identical. BVF (V1), not so much.

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Seems like Toro is taking the P**s with me then

Toro is the slowest TD on RWI. In my case It always takes him over 2 weeks to get the watch even if watch is available. On 2 separate occasions it seems he forgot about my orders. I had to remind him.
i still buy from him every once in a while because he has good prices on some of the reps.

Pope

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/2/19
I've compared the GF bracelet to gen bracelet and they are almos identical. BVF (V1), not so much.
It's entirely possible that your GF is better than the one showcased on PureTime and it's also possible your BVF is worse as we know these factories are not always consistent in quality. Also there's the problem of judging a bracelet from huge close ups that is not ideal compared to holding the real thing unfortunately.
Here's a picture with most reps and gen for comparison (I didn't include KOR as they don't make a 35mm version as far as I know):

3o8p5.jpg

Edit: an other comparison that shows the BVF V2's bracelet is a tighter fit to the case and that the V6F has the worse fit:
3okiD.jpg

Last edited:

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
It's entirely possible that your GF is better than the one showcased on PureTime and it's also possible your BVF is worse as we know these factories are not always consistent in quality. Also there's the problem of judging a bracelet from huge close ups that is not ideal compared to holding the real thing unfortunately.
Here's a picture with most reps and gen for comparison (I didn't include KOR as they don't make a 35mm version as far as I know):

3o8p5.jpg

Edit: an other comparison that shows the BVF V2's bracelet is a tighter fit to the case and that the V6F has the worse fit:
3okiD.jpg

Yeah, you probably right. Thanks for the comparison, really informative. It was just my two cents, cause I compared my GF, BVF and KOR to the gen white and blue ones. But I guess your mileage may vary with any factory. Everyone must make the choice and your post should help a lot for that.

Pope

15/2/19
Yeah, you probably right. Thanks for the comparison, really informative. It was just my two cents, cause I compared my GF, BVF and KOR to the gen white and blue ones. But I guess your mileage may vary with any factory. Everyone must make the choice and your post should help a lot for that.
Your "2 cents" is very much appreciated as your experience with so many reps and gen Santos in person is quite unique and it beats comparing pictures.

Reactions: leo6929

TheGoodGoodLife

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
I am flying to Italy in beginning of November to buy a gen 35mm Santos.

its a little sketchy since condition is very good and no papers included and the price is 56% off retail...box is included tho.
But the seller has a long (2001) reputation and mostly positive reviews, so I am going for it.

could you guys send me some close up pictures of your GF/V6F 35mms or tell me some of the obvious flaws you found so far? So I will be able to compare it to the “gen” in Italy.
already made a 10% deposit... and flight is on 4th nov.

time is rushing.

thanks for the help ????

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

its a little sketchy since condition is very good and no papers included and the price is 56% off retail...box is included tho.
But the seller has a long (2001) reputation and mostly positive reviews, so I am going for it.

could you guys send me some close up pictures of your GF/V6F 35mms or tell me some of the obvious flaws you found so far? So I will be able to compare it to the “gen” in Italy.

time is rushing.

thanks for the help ????

taking off the caseback should be a pretty obvious tell.

Pope

15/2/19

time is rushing.

thanks for the help ????
Maybe you'll want to check the posts just before yours?
Anyway, look out for the gap between the bracelet and the case, on the gen there is almost none. Check the bezel screws, screws on the bracelet, dial printing quality. I think you can also measure the thickness of the watch, gen is exactly 9mm and reps are like 9.8mm.
Anyway just go to a Cartier shop with the seller, it's the best way to make sure.

TheGoodGoodLife

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
Anyway just go to a Cartier shop with the seller, it's the best way to make sure.

dont know if he will. He has a watchshop, so I doubt that he is gonna leave it with me just to go to a cartier boutique to legit check it. But I will sure go there aftere I bought it.

Reading the post above me brings only one problem; these flaws are barely visible... Will look out for screws etc. anything else?

Maybe someone from rome or speaking italian can tell me more about his shop and how legit it is/looks (https://eorologi.com)

but about the thickness, thats a very good idea! That's exactly the kind of ideas I was asking for, thank you Mr Pope :)

Last edited:

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
dont know if he will. He has a watchshop, so I doubt that he is gonna leave it with me just to go to a cartier boutique to legit check it. But I will sure go there aftere I bought it.

Reading the post above me brings only one problem; these flaws are barely visible... Will look out for screws etc. anything else?

Maybe someone from rome or speaking italian can tell me more about his shop and how legit it is/looks (https://eorologi.com)

but about the thickness, thats a very good idea! That's exactly the kind of ideas I was asking for, thank you Mr Pope :)

If you are familiar with reps, you will know. Reps have the look, but when you have a gen in your hand, it shows. The weight, bracelet movement, crispness of the dial print, crystal, brushing and color of the steel, etc. Let us know how it goes for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoodGoodLife

TheGoodGoodLife

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
If you are familiar with reps, you will know. Reps have the look, but when you have a gen in your hand, it shows. The weight, bracelet movement, crispness of the dial print, crystal, brushing and color of the steel, etc. Let us know how it goes for you.

Yeah, I think may am a little too worried.. but price is the cheapest I've ever seen so I am suspicious. Thats also why I am flying there first, won't buy over chrono. dont trust em...

Anyways, I am getting the 35mm. If anyone from EU wants to send me their rep then, I am willing to do a comparison. but let me get the watch first... :D

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
I've ordered the midsize GF in silver. I have't tried a rectangular watch in a long time, hope I like it!

axel.gold

Known Member
5/5/19
If this helps, my GF takes gen leather straps. Knowing VSF, my guess is that it should, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Leo6929, I just got my gen leather strap today and found though it fits my GF Medium, it's very very difficult to take off. It's too tight. Let me know if you've found the same.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Hi Leo6929, I just got my gen leather strap today and found though it fits my GF Medium, it's very very difficult to take off. It's too tight. Let me know if you've found the same.

It is the same with mine mate. But eventually you learn the trick to remove it and also I wear the strap sporadically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: axel.gold

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
If anyone is looking for a gen strap for their 40mm model, I currently have a brown calf one for sale. :)

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
Got my gen 35 today. I am positive it’s genuine!... just kinda saw it straight away as soon as he unboxed it. Running great with 0.3sec per day.

so idk if I have to be some kind of donator to be trusted enough to make a comparison or??? But as I said I am willing to do a review/comparison in EU

Which factory did you go for?