• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 new Santos

JohnnyBlack

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/9/22
I don’t know, this GF was as loud (or silent) as all my other watches (Seiko, Oris). I could barely hear it until I out next to my ears.

Reactions: leo6929

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Yes gen dial. I dont have a side by side pic but if you take the time to go back a few pages, you can see my rep and gen dial pics and compare them yourself.
I see gen dials on ebay for $100 so was thinkng of swapping into a GF... easy swap? Also any hope on silencing the movement?

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I see gen dials on ebay for $100 so was thinkng of swapping into a GF... easy swap? Also any hope on silencing the movement?
My watchmaker put gen dials both on my GF and my V6F without any problems. Silencing the rotor should be somewhat easy too.

Reactions: rockdaytona

PanFriend2020

Horology Curious
29/5/20
Hi all after reading 95 pages I am still unsure if BVF has the screws on the bracelet or not and still don’t know if GF is the way to go vs BVF. Looks from Reddit that everyone is going the GF route so I’m tempted to do the same … any feedback would be helpful

Rep346

Horology Curious
11/7/22
Hi all after reading 95 pages I am still unsure if BVF has the screws on the bracelet or not and still don’t know if GF is the way to go vs BVF. Looks from Reddit that everyone is going the GF route so I’m tempted to do the same … any feedback would be helpful

They're all basically the same,
I like my 3KF
But I'd probably go GF next time, i see they are getting popular now after their update

Richyv

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/5/17
Colorado
I have the large GF with the blue dial for almost four months now and I have NOT had any issues with the watch. When I received the watch I wore it daily for a solid month and in the four months I haven't lost any screws from the bracelet and movement has not been an issue .... ie I don't hear it and I cannot feel it when it's on my wrist.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Hey folks, after about a year and a half with the Santos as my daily - finally decided to try on the leather strap and it doesn’t latch.

From the pictures below, seems (to me) like the reason it doesn’t click in is due to the fact that (1) is blocking the latch (2). It sort of “clicks” for about 2 seconds before it opens up again.

Has anyone encountered this issue and has any ideas for a fix? Wish I had tried this earlier so could raise it with my TD but I think a year and a half later it’s not going to be possible…

Or perhaps a (cheap) third party strap that fits quick release lugs?

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Probable cause is you are setting up the leather strap in a wrong way. Seems straightforward, but it isn't. I had to look at a couple of videos on YouTube before the first time I did this to get it right.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21

So far, I'm leaning towards 3KF > GF > BVF. The "CARTIER" text on the "VI" is much better on GF and BVF, but it's also not noticeable in any regard on the wrist. The date window on 3KF is far more accurate on the 3KF, though. Both of those issues are negligible on the wrist, so it's a matter of what flaws you're willing to accept. To my eyes, GF's dial is better than BVF's. I've also never had a single issue with screws falling off of my GF XL.

From what I can see in pics, though, I like the 3KF more. Gonna have to order one and see how it holds up IRL.

LVonMatterhorn

Horology Curious
19/1/23
Europe
thickness above 9mm, poor bracelet (crews mainly) and crystal... I'm still not sure of which factory is the best.
Why is this model not consider NWBIG here on RWI? I was in AD and I saw GF rep in hand and difference is only minor, and you would need both watches to compare.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
thickness above 9mm, poor bracelet (crews mainly) and crystal... I'm still not sure of which factory is the best.

XL is on the NWBIG list for V6F, and there have been improvements since then above and beyond that model with 3KF, GF, and BVF tossing their hats into the ring.

The new dials and bezel colors etc., though -- that's a different story.