• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Short review: The Dark Knight rises

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I decided to look into my AP "B" box today and saw that I own a 26470SO Dark Knight, and decided to write a little review about it to remind me of why I purchased it in the first place.

And so, after obtaining repeated feedback from AP watch owners, and finally seeing the light, AP decided to release in 2018, 2 42mm with ceramic bezels. One is the grey monochrome 26470IO and the other is the 26470SO model. They were colloquially named the "Ghost" and "Dark Knight" respectively. I purchased the Ghost first, and then the Dark Knight some months after. They are both very different both visually and in this short review we will focus on the Dark Knight.

This is a model I wore a lot less than the Ghost, partly due to the heftier weight. The 2018 Dark Knight is actually IDENTICAL to the 2014 Vampire save that it has a black brushed ceramic bezel added and also a new dual tone straps, which is black with blood red accents. Striking colors, but decidedly softer than the usual rubber straps AP opted to use for the offshores.

The watch itself is strikingly good looking, and has a gloss black mega tapisserie dial with sunburst charcoal subdials, which are each surrounded by metallic silver rings.. The red chrono hands sit strikingly against the black dial, and in the same red accent, the second counter ring surrounds the dial in seemingly defiant contrast. The dial markers are stark white and provide stark clarity to mark off the hours. The hands are the usual perfect white gold finish, and provides added legibility when reading the time.

A pic of the watch sitting in its case

ZHrf7o.jpg

I personally love the contrast of the ceramic bezel with both the bezel screw decoration and the mid case. Other than creating a layered aesthetic appeal, the ceramic bezel also provides some resistance against scratches compared to stainless steel bezels, especially for chunky watches like the Royal Oak Offshore. The crown and pushers are both made of black ceramic as well (brushed for the crown and gloss for the pushers). It is overall a watch which can be worn daily, and a watch which looks a lot better in person than in pictures, especially the sad photography skills I have for capturing watches.

One minor thing is that since 2019, AP uses a random double alphanumeric series prefix for the serial number. It no longer follows the alphabetical series previously used. This watch for example has a "HM" prefix as seen below
ZHrSYP.jpg

This is overall a rather striking watch visually. The colors of black, red and metal all blend well in an artful fusion and this makes for a good everyday watch. If you were ever on the fence regarding the rep, I will urge you to get it. Visually the rep is close to the gen, especially with the black dial and datewheel (get the updated V2 with cyclop and dw already upgraded) blurring lines on the actual position of the date window.

On the wrist, after dusting it off
ZHtHyj.jpg

TGIF guys and thank you for reading this short little post of mine. It is more a reminder to myself then me trying to sell you guys anything. The rep is excellently crafted. Get one if you like the looks of it, and you won't regret it.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Where do I send the invoice, this thread just cost me $600!
Lovely write-up...!

Reactions: Nono92

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The Dark Knight vs The Ghost. Both hard to photograph in their own ways. Or maybe my photography skill plain sucks :hehehe:
5dfe8f9caca6a38c01057575b55b3532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The Dark Knight vs The Ghost. Both hard to photograph in their own ways. Or maybe my photography skill plain sucks :hehehe:
5dfe8f9caca6a38c01057575b55b3532.jpg

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Superb review, as I can see JF did a great job with the clone movement :hehehe: just kidding ofc, two superb watches right there!

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Side by side that Dark Knight is actually very very nice but that Ghost is SOOOO Lovely!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Superb review, as I can see JF did a great job with the clone movement :hehehe: just kidding ofc, two superb watches right there!

Thank you A. Actually I won’t be surprised if JF or Noob eventually releases a clone movement ROO. If they can do it for the daytona this is not impossible. I’ve been waiting for that too lol

Reactions: Allure and SHB

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
Thank you A. Actually I won’t be surprised if JF or Noob eventually releases a clone movement ROO. If they can do it for the daytona this is not impossible. I’ve been waiting for that too lol

They've more chance of that than getting the correct Grey colour repped!

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth

A clone would be really welcome, this would render the franken budget cheaper, we could finally have something a lil bit less flawed than the actual sheet we get with 7750 :)

Or at least go clone LWO lmao

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Reactions: Allure

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth

"Watch" out bro, you reposting in loop the same comment :hehehe:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
"Watch" out bro, you reposting in loop the same comment :hehehe:

No, actually my comment is valid. I consider "posting in loop comments" to be those single words put in all threads just to increase post counts. I wonder if you have seen some of those yourself recently?

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
No, actually my comment is valid. I consider "posting in loop comments" to be those single words put in all threads just to increase post counts. I wonder if you have seen some of those yourself recently?

Lol, yes I did seen some...
I do actually mass spamming as well for reach the 25 posts and sell my watch for WU payment only. :)

Reactions: NaViSlick

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Lol, yes I did seen some...
I do actually mass spamming as well for reach the 25 posts and sell my watch for WU payment only. :)

Gotta hope these people don't get their post count reset some time soon. :lol: :qtip2: