• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DHGate Mini Review: AP 15400

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
TL;DR: 8.0 Rating. Better quality than I expected. A big, heavy impressive build with better quality than most DHGate watches. I'm happier with this watch than my rating indicates!

Price: $56.89
Delivery Time: 8 days

https://www.dhgate.com/product/luxury-mens-automatic-mechanical-designer/488647960.html

The AP Royal Oak on stainless is one of the most iconic of sports watches...which I didn’t think I wanted to own until I found it at a very attractive price. The low price of ownership coupled with an icon, allowed for an instant rationalization and an immediate order. Even better was the fastest delivery of all my watches, received it extremely quickly, in only 8 days. It came in what I now understand is Standard DHGate packaging, which was sufficient and decent enough.

Once on the wrist, I began to understand the hype and longevity of this watch. It is truly a heavy hitter, with nicely polished links and a properly finished bezel. The dial (in blue) had the kind of shimmer expected of the Gen and the applied markers and logo looked excellent. On very close inspection, I could tell that the AP logo was ever so slightly shifted to the right compared to the “12” markers and could have used a fraction more vertical breathing room from them as well. Not perfect, but clearly not visible from anything but extremely close up. Probably have to expect these issues over the course of purchasing several of these watches from DHGate.

The bracelet is a standout. There are some well honed, sharp edges to the links as well as the case, but my reading seems to indicate this is expected of even the Gen. Maybe true, maybe not, as I’ve never seen a Gen in person. On the wrist, these edges seem to disappear and blend into the bracelet naturally and without revealing themselves. The clasp is a double deployant and sequential operation and is very secure. The AP logo on the clasp is quite well done and seems very authentic.

Overall, this is a serious watch to wear. I don’t think it should be worn as an every day watch and would not be suitable for golf or the beach (at least for me), but you know when this is on the wrist and it feels great. There is a serious amount of light reflection off the bracelet and case, so much so that you have to wonder how this is done on brushed surfaces. This Rep version is really solid and is a lot of watch for $50. Comparing it to a Trusty version, there's essentially no difference in the look of the watch, but there is a slightly more metallic feel to the bracelet than the more expensive Rep version...a quick baby oil bath seemed to improve on the harshness and now this watch is wearing extremely well.

On to the ratings:

Fit and Finish: 7.5, Nothing material to note or even complain about the overall fit and finish except for some perceived sharp edges. I could be convinced that these are expected and add another point to the rating…

Legibility: 8.5, A gorgeous and well executed dial that has above average legibility for me. Lume is quite nice but just a little thin on those hands and markers. This watch shines and gleams on my wrist without any issue...it is a true performer.

Comfort: 7, Can only be as good as a heavy watch can be. Pretty, pretty pretty comfortable.

Wearability: 8, Loud and proud on the wrist. It announces itself almost. I’m looking forward to each day it's worn in the 5 watch rotation.

Value: 9, Definitely worth the price, and glad I bought this particular version. An integral sports watch to own at this price. Probably will also buy this in another dial at some point.

Overall: 8.0

Glock3ns

10/2/20
New york
Nice review, always wondered how the dhgate ones were. How's the time keeping on it so far? Is the thickness good or overly thicker?

Lastly do you have a jf,xf,zf to compare it too?

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Nice review, always wondered how the dhgate ones were. How's the time keeping on it so far? Is the thickness good or overly thicker?

Lastly do you have a jf,xf,zf to compare it too?

Keeping time fine so far. I wear it every third or fourth day and it needs a wind. Haven’t set out to determine its range on the power reserve, but it’s definitely not three days. As for thickness, it is not thin. I’ll try to get a measurement of it. For me, I’m a bit of a chunky watch guy, so it’s in the range of 13-14mm I’m sure. This is definitely not ideal for a lot of buyers. I should really get the weights and dimensions of all my DHGate items and include in my reviews. Thanks all for the positive feedback!

Reactions: Glock3ns

ryan4240

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/20
thank you for your effort. Seems like a really good deal for $57!

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
wow, that reminds me of one of my first "cheap" 15400 I got from toro for USD 200 or so

batman_symbol

Horology Curious
10/3/19
Wow, is it necessary to review DHGate shi**er. When you are buying a rep you are already buying a heavily discounted variant of the original. Do you really need to buy the lowest possible tier watch and then try and make a case for how the
bracelet is a standout
or
this is a serious watch to wear
. People who read this review, please dont take it seriously!

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Wow, is it necessary to review DHGate shi**er. When you are buying a rep you are already buying a heavily discounted variant of the original. Do you really need to buy the lowest possible tier watch and then try and make a case for how the or . People who read this review, please dont take it seriously!

Lol!

batman_symbol

Horology Curious
10/3/19
I have no problem with someone buying a Rep and enjoying it. Who cares where its from. However, this is RWI, not Vietnam, there are rules here. If you're going to write about the AP Royal Oak and call it a review, which golfman does, then there has to be some standard for what constitutes a comparison. For example, golfman states
Comparing it to a Trusty version, there's essentially no difference in the look of the watch
What is the "Trusty" version. No mention of a factory, model, any features of the watch, the dial patisserie, printing etc.
Furthermore,
The dial (in blue) had the kind of shimmer expected of the Gen
In the next paragraph he says,
I’ve never seen a Gen in person
So hes never seen a Gen but somehow is claiming it has the same characteristics as one. I'll let you ponder that one.

When you call a $57 DHGate rep of $15000 Audemars Piguet a "serious watch" well, idk, seems like hes either trolling or has no clue what hes talking about. The $450 reps from JF and other factories are at least an attempt to do the watch justice. Sure they're flawed. Most reps are but at least there is a discussion to be had there. DHGate...really? Whats next: Why Ferrari should move out of the way for the 1997 Buick.

Last edited:

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I have no problem with someone buying a Rep and enjoying it. Who cares where its from. However, this is RWI, not Vietnam, there are rules here. If you're going to write about the AP Royal Oak and call it a review, which golfman does, then there has to be some standard for what constitutes a comparison. For example, golfman states
What is the "Trusty" version. No mention of a factory, model, any features of the watch, the dial patisserie, printing etc.
Furthermore,
So hes never seen a Gen but somehow is claiming it has the same characteristics as one. I'll let you ponder that one.

When you call a $57 DHGate rep of $15000 Audemars Piguet a "serious watch" well, idk, seems like hes either trolling or has no clue what hes talking about. The $450 reps from JF and other factories are at least an attempt to do the watch justice. Sure they're flawed. Most reps are but at least there is a discussion to be had there. DHGate...really? Whats next: Why Ferrari should move out of the way for the 1997 Buick.

Whoa, slow down there, big boy.

I'm simply adding content to the site and willing to provide some insight that some (not you, obviously) might value. I did this because I had some of the very questions I tried to answer about a DHGate watch prior to taking the plunge. Essentially, I bought a few watches and tried to share my experiences. You don't have to like it, but feel free to comment. I have other re views here and will have some more, so buckle up and enjoy!

Let me help clarify the Trusty comment. I did buy, on behalf of a family member, a JF version in Juiy and had plenty of wrist time with it. It's a beautiful watch. In fact I liked it so much, I bought this DHGate version as a result and had plenty of time to compare the two side by side. Is that enough to at least have an opinion? Obviously, I've spent some time educating myself on the Gen versions through many online hours and did as much homework as we so often ask the Noobs to do when they join this site.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these excellent, low priced Gate versions are rejects from the QC process of the TD's, but who knows? All I know is that mine is that good. I'm wearing it right now, actually, so I'll tread softly and try not to trigger you.

As for your constructive reviews of my review, thanks so much for adding so little. I'll take all you have and do so gladly.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Furthermore,

I think there’re no rules against dhgate reviews and yes there were some minor inconsistencies which thegolfman made but I enjoyed his review too. If he can make sense of a $57 watch it’s a good thing for him and I’m sure the review will be helpful for anyone with a similar disposition.

Take it easy man. If he was breaking any rules QueTip would have jumped in quicker than you can say “frog”. Just move on if you don’t like it or disagree with what he’s saying. As far as I’m concerned I like his contribution and the effort he took to write the post. Yes he may not be spot on but I’m sure he tried his earnest to write the post. Relax and breathe a little lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Furthermore,

I'd like to see where you’ve seen all of that. Post some links for other members education of the rules. :lol: :qtip2:

batman_symbol

Horology Curious
10/3/19
I know I took some (or attempted to take some) comedic liberties with my response to golfman's review but I had no intention of starting beef or upsetting anyone. I simply took issue with the way he is presenting this watch in a vacuum and overlooking every major flaw on the watch. My suggestion is to go look at the 15400 from JF or ZF and see the difference yourself.

If we are talking about actual quality, from my experience with Gen and other reps (I have owned the JF 15400 v3 and v4 - blue), I would give this watch about a 3/10 from the pictures he has posted. I apologize if I came off as over aggressive in any way, it was not my intention at all although I see now that my first comment may have been a bit inflammatory. Just wanted to give my side and point out some inconsistencies I saw using a bit of humor. I hope he enjoys his watch.

Reactions: thegolfman

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
The OP has written a couple more reviews which I found informative. Not everyone has or wants to spend more money for a better rep. Hence the different price points.

Reactions: whalejonah