• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone received AP Diver JF V9 yet?

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
V7 tachy lume is not 3D. It’s not even crisp. Gen tachy numerals are super crisp. V9 is very crisp and has the same lume height as v7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though the lume on the v7 is not as 3D as gen, but the poor lume makes it look like it has a ghostly outline(border), meanwhile on the v9 the lume filled equally, which makes it look flat.

I'd prefer v7 for the tachy, but it definitely comes down to personal preferences

Let's look at the 50 on the tachy marker:
On the left is a photo of gen that I took the other day, v7 in the middle, v9 on the right
ZiG0sP6.jpg

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
The 15703 AP Diver and its reps does not have a tachymeter, i.e. a facility on a watch for measuring speed. So I do not know what this "tachy" is that everybody is referring to. Do you mean the unidirectional timing ring?

yes that's right, we are talking about the uni-directional timing ring on the diver

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
I agree with you, I told my friend to wear the v7 for a day on the wrist. I always look at his watch and try to see whether i notice any flaws on people's wrist.

Sitting at the table for dinner, the easiest tell would be the colour of the cyclops as it is really easy to depict the blue tint.
I recognise all the dw font (modern and classic, for both rep and gen), but it's still hard for me to identify in a distance. Yes, it is easier to tell if I hold his hands and stare at it for a few seconds, but I bet that won't happen in real life if your status matches with your watch.
I also found that the crystal reflection often affects the visibility on the watch, I can barely see whats on the dial clearly when my friend is moving his hand
Low beat movement is nearly impossible to tell in real life situation, you have to stare at people's watch for a while without the owner moving the watch in order to tell whether the watch is 6 or 8 beats per second.
The mega tapisserie pattern on the dial is really hard to judge whether it is rep or gen, since ap has released different types of dial, I wouldn't call people out because the dial is too dry or doesn't look good.
In the last 12 pages, nearly everyone focuses on the flaws of the dial, cyclops, dw, tachy ring. The major flaws that I determine whether the watch is gen or rep in real life is not on the dial itself, since you don't walk up to people and awkwardly stare at people's watch, the things that I see are the bezel screws and the endlinks of the case, these are the two major tells that I can spot from far away.
The bezel screws are well-polished and rounded in the gen, you can easily tell that's a gen from a mid-close distance. Some gen APs aren't that well-polished and perhaps people describe some batches are heavily beaten, but if you have seen the gen divers you know what I mean and it is easy to spot. Sunken screws are not necessary, because the bezel screws itself is already a biggest tell.

I'm surprised nobody here actually talk about the flexible endlinks in here, noob got it right with their divers, but jf and xf were doing it wrong. The gen endlink of the diver is supposed to be flexible to make it fit the wrist better, people with a small wrist when wearing a diver, the strap is like hanging around their wrist and it becomes NO.1 tell, and that's what I would called "you can see it across the room", but of course if you have a 7inch wrist or larger, it becomes harder to tell. The simplest fix is to use a metal surface polish machine to polish the top of the endlinks to make it flexible.
People are often discussing about how the back cover or the movement on the back is a major tell, but I would say if you take off your watch, if that person has owned a gen diver, the flexibility of the strap is easy to tell without looking at the back/movement.

I can at least point out 20 flaws on the diver, but I would still believe the diver deserves to be a super rep, because in real life situation all the flaws are hard to spot even if you know what to spot at the first place. People usually determine whether your watch is genuine or replica usually based on your outfit or how well you carry it.

Thank you so much for this.

thewatcher

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
5/8/12
The bezel screws are well-polished and rounded in the gen, you can easily tell that's a gen from a mid-close distance. Some gen APs aren't that well-polished and perhaps people describe some batches are heavily beaten, but if you have seen the gen divers you know what I mean and it is easy to spot. Sunken screws are not necessary, because the bezel screws itself is already a biggest tell.

What does “rounded” mean on the bezel screws?
Does it mean the angles of the hexagon should be rounded instead of pointed (sharp)?
Can someone post the pictures to show the difference please?

fkZSWx@.jpg

Are they the corners that I circled in red?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: canariasproducts

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
What does “rounded” mean on the bezel screws?
Does it mean the angles of the hexagon should be rounded instead of pointed (sharp)?
Can someone post the pictures to show the difference please?

fkZSWx@.jpg

Are they the corners that I circled in red?
Thanks!

it's hard to explain, since ap actually polished the bezel by hand, it has a more refined round and curve shine to it, while the rep is cut out by machine so it's more flat.
I'd highly recommend you to try the diver out in the AP boutique or look at the diver photos probably on instagram, by looking at the bezel screws you can quickly spot out which one is gen and rep.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I agree with you, I told my friend to wear the v7 for a day on the wrist. I always look at his watch and try to see whether i notice any flaws on people's wrist.

Sitting at the table for dinner, the easiest tell would be the colour of the cyclops as it is really easy to depict the blue tint.
I recognise all the dw font (modern and classic, for both rep and gen), but it's still hard for me to identify in a distance. Yes, it is easier to tell if I hold his hands and stare at it for a few seconds, but I bet that won't happen in real life if your status matches with your watch.
I also found that the crystal reflection often affects the visibility on the watch, I can barely see whats on the dial clearly when my friend is moving his hand
Low beat movement is nearly impossible to tell in real life situation, you have to stare at people's watch for a while without the owner moving the watch in order to tell whether the watch is 6 or 8 beats per second.
The mega tapisserie pattern on the dial is really hard to judge whether it is rep or gen, since ap has released different types of dial, I wouldn't call people out because the dial is too dry or doesn't look good.
In the last 12 pages, nearly everyone focuses on the flaws of the dial, cyclops, dw, tachy ring. The major flaws that I determine whether the watch is gen or rep in real life is not on the dial itself, since you don't walk up to people and awkwardly stare at people's watch, the things that I see are the bezel screws and the endlinks of the case, these are the two major tells that I can spot from far away.

I'm surprised nobody here actually talk about the flexible endlinks in here, noob got it right with their divers, but jf and xf were doing it wrong. The gen endlink of the diver is supposed to be flexible to make it fit the wrist better, people with a small wrist when wearing a diver, the strap is like hanging around their wrist and it becomes NO.1 tell, and that's what I would called "you can see it across the room", but of course if you have a 7inch wrist or larger, it becomes harder to tell. The simplest fix is to use a metal surface polish machine to polish the top of the endlinks to make it flexible.
People are often discussing about how the back cover or the movement on the back is a major tell, but I would say if you take off your watch, if that person has owned a gen diver, the flexibility of the strap is easy to tell without looking at the back/movement.

I can at least point out 20 flaws on the diver, but I would still believe the diver deserves to be a super rep, because in real life situation all the flaws are hard to spot even if you know what to spot at the first place. People usually determine whether your watch is genuine or replica usually based on your outfit or how well you carry it.

Great insights. But what are the endlinks that you are referring to? the two small metal blocks that connects the case with the strap? They can be bent on the gen?

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Great insights. But what are the endlinks that you are referring to? the two small metal blocks that connects the case with the strap? They can be bent on the gen?

Yes that’s right, the rep is unable to move unlike gen

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Yes that’s right, the rep is unable to move unlike gen

I searched online and found that the inside of the end links need to be partly cut off and polished to make them movable.
I have found a modder who is willing to fix this for $30. I am considering to do the mod soon.

Reactions: canariasproducts

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
I searched online and found that the inside of the end links need to be partly cut off and polished to make them movable.
I have found a modder who is willing to fix this for $30. I am considering to do the mod soon.

That’s a good price, where’s this modder based in?

smoothcandy

Horology Curious
21/6/18
Firstly, I would like to thank Geramu for his help in finding an TD. I PM-ed him and he pointed me in the right direction. Thank you so much sit.
I just got my first rep watch today.
I am a gen watch collector and I decided to buy reps and only(almost) only wear the reps out now.
I kinda see it as watch insurance.

Who wants pics?
Give it a go which is the gen and which is the rep. haha

I wish Chinese forums make Side By Side v9 vs Gen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Here you go brother!!
42768811584_f10800fcbc_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: reppin

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
Thanks smooth! They're really close but the green hands jump out. I got a question for ya. How does the rotating bezel action compare between the two?

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
Firstly, I would like to thank Geramu for his help in finding an TD. I PM-ed him and he pointed me in the right direction. Thank you so much sit.
I am a gen watch collector and I decided to buy reps and only(almost) only wear the reps out now.

Who wants pics?

Here you go brother!!

great collection mate

are you planning to buy a JF 15400?

smoothcandy

Horology Curious
21/6/18
Thanks smooth! They're really close but the green hands jump out. I got a question for ya. How does the rotating bezel action compare between the two?

I have not rotated the bezel of either one of them. Haha. I will try it out and let you know.
great collection mate

are you planning to buy a JF 15400?

Yes, so the one that you see in the picture is a gen. I just paid for the 15400 today on InTime.
I got the diver on puretime.
But decided to go with InTime for the 15400 to compare and see their service.
I jut posted in the 15400 thread as well today.

Reactions: reppin

madmax42

13/5/18

Who wants pics?

Here you go brother!!

Isn’t the one on the right side a gen?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I'd highly recommend you to try the diver out in the AP boutique or look at the diver photos probably on instagram, by looking at the bezel screws you can quickly spot out which one is gen and rep.

I highly recommend you do the exact opposite, unless you want to hate the flaws on your watch. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
mech500 Oke thanks for your answer! You are even selling your V9 right? I will drop this message at the Super Rep Thread, it really has to update then. It has to be replaced maybe you can outline the differences ? Then i will copy and paste that into that thread and see what they say about approval Omagad . Thanks for the quick answer mate

mech500 is right about the white border around the dive bezel numbers. This is evident (somewhat) in the V9 but missing in the V7.
The people who are in the hobby will be able to spot a rep diver across a normal size table, but the fact is that even an old v3.5 can pass off as the real deal where the real world people are concerned.
It all boils down eventually to what we can accept and what we cannot as watch owners. There is no one standard of happiness. For example, the debate of working chronos vs non working ones but with a correct case thickness is a divisive one. Wear what makes you happy and read the forums for the information that is relevant to your watch flaws and tells. Ultimately, it is about you as the watch will be around YOUR wrist. You decide for yourself, and also decide how much weight to give to the opinions of others.

Reactions: Allure