• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
This one finished this morning:
0qr0XgE.jpg

CEzcbj6.jpg
That looks Amazing!!
Rarest 15400 franken of them all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Moldy780

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/8/16
Currently working on a 15400 franken

Bought:

Gen white dial
Gen 3120
JF base watch
TF donor watch

If anyone has any of the following parts PLEASE shoot me a PM

Gen hands
Gen white datewheel

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Awesome, and Rare! Specs??
I've been after 1 of those for almost 18 months now. It's such a simple yet beautiful franken. Diver dials (old gen, before AP decided to cut corners with the 15710) are by far the most complicated to produce out of the standard references, based on all the ROC and ROO dials I've seen at least.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
People should not be frightened of building Diver Frankens. Unlike Offshore chrono Frankens, this was an almost effortless build. The gen dial is the same thickness (1.8mm) as the rep and fits perfectly onto the movement ring with a little drilling to accommodate the four extra dial feet. No problem with crown positioning. Everything aligns perfectly with the rep timing ring. Even the datewheel cut-out on the gen dial lined up with Mikey's modern font 28xx DW in the end. All can be packed together into one solid well-designed construction with no real downsides--a testament to the quality of these Diver reps.
Is a gen Diver dial worth it? The major benefit is the gen dial has the detailed beauty of fine mechanical workmanship. There is a noticeable contrast between the texture of the print surfaces with the machine-made tapisserie. Once you see it installed, it all clicks into place, and it would be hard to go back to a rep Diver dial.
Lucky owner of this build!

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
Finished tonight:
xWbXHXk.jpg

Is this a 15400 or a 15300? Personal or for a client?

Beautiful work you do, appreciate that you are sharing it with the community.

I would consider a franken of a smaller royal oak, best would be 14790 :)

N0tail_

1/6/17
People should not be frightened of building Diver Frankens. Unlike Offshore chrono Frankens, this was an almost effortless build. The gen dial is the same thickness (1.8mm) as the rep and fits perfectly onto the movement ring with a little drilling to accommodate the four extra dial feet. No problem with crown positioning. Everything aligns perfectly with the rep timing ring. Even the datewheel cut-out on the gen dial lined up with Mikey's modern font 28xx DW in the end. All can be packed together into one solid well-designed construction with no real downsides--a testament to the quality of these Diver reps.
Is a gen Diver dial worth it? The major benefit is the gen dial has the detailed beauty of fine mechanical workmanship. There is a noticeable contrast between the texture of the print surfaces with the machine-made tapisserie. Once you see it installed, it all clicks into place, and it would be hard to go back to a rep Diver dial.
Lucky owner of this build!

What kind of tools/equipment would someone need to get into this? Having a ton of fun browsing threads but I figured if I can mod my watch then it make it pretty gratifying.

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
I'm having an AP Panda with many gen parts and LWO movement sitting for a LOT of time (almost a year) in a well know German watchmaker waiting for time to get it built.

Ryker

Horology Curious
10/7/17
These are some of the OEM dials for my personal Franken builds scheduled for the next 3 years, LOL. Just to make clear, I am not reselling these, but instead stroking them gently with cotton gloves every night, LOL.
ovjfFtV.jpg
Nice! Which AP ROO is black and red dial for (in the middle of the second row)?
Thanks

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Amazing work so far! As usual :)
Would kill to have a franken bee or at least the parts to build one.
Sir, I can assure you from personal experience that those Bee franken builds are so expensive that it's probably better to just buy a second hand gen :)

But to each their own :) I have so much invested in these builds, I sometimes wonder if it's not better to have 2 gens instead :)

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
Sir, I can assure you from personal experience that those Bee franken builds are so expensive that it's probably better to just buy a second hand gen :)

But to each their own :) I have so much invested in these builds, I sometimes wonder if it's not better to have 2 gens instead :)

than im a Lucky guy that i dont like the bee:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: