• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you remove your rep/gen at airport security?

okaybg

I'm looking for a PAM243 👊🏼
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/6/23
🇬🇧
Hello, everyone. In the UK, removing your watch when going through security is generally optional, even if you have been instructed to do so. However, it is always best to follow the guidance of security personnel. One of my managers has advised me to recommend that people keep their watches on, as in 99% of cases where the watch is reported stolen, it is left in the security tray.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Yes but I allways put it in a backpack or pocket so it dosnt get stolen. I wonder how many watches that got stolen in those trays during busy days in the airport.
It's a horrible thought and I'd like to believe that it doesn't happen that much, but it must all depend on location. Maybe I'm kidding myself 😂

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
in my naivete, i never thought of that. indeed anyone in the queue or a low paid security agent could just grab it on the tray.

Next time it goes in the bag

gindiesel

12/10/20
Canada
I'll update my earlier response in this thread. Had to take my watch off coming back from Italy in May. First time.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I'll update my earlier response in this thread. Had to take my watch off coming back from Italy in May. First time.
I had just come through Alicante and I was asked to take off my watch. I asked if would be okay to keep it on for security reasons and they obliged. Wasn't a rep so I was happy to avoid any issues with magnetism!

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I've always taken it off and put it in the tray. Don't see how someone could steal it.
Yeah you're not wrong. It's not like they're going to grab it on the side and run are they?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
no, but when very busy, you lose sight of your tray. Someone could grab it quickly after the gate while you are before the gate and slip it in their pocket

DTM

Looking Around
27/6/20
lol just put in a the tray like everyone else. nobody cares about your watch trust me lol

DTM

Looking Around
27/6/20
Meant to say just put it in the tray*. typo. if it's rep just put it face down or on side and don't crush it with anything

psychwarfare

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Patron
Certified
4/7/23
USA
I try to blow through security as quickly and smoothly as possible. I have global entry but have never worn my watch or a bracelet through security.

I typically also wear sweatpants or shorts with elastic/drawstring waist band. So no belt either.

Everything stashed in carry on and away I go.

Reactions: Karbon74

malloc

Horology Curious
13/2/23
Australia
I put mine face down in the tray. Security told me I can leave it on the last time I travelled though.

I like the suggestions in this thread to put it in carry on, I wouldn't need to watch it like a hawk while the tray goes through the scanner that way 😅

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I normally put in my suit jacket pocket, or normal jacket/hoody pocket then it goes into tray. Keep it cushioned and inconspicuous.

I saw an article recently about a trio of TSA employees being charged with stealing from the trays etc so it is done, but I suspect a rarity.

Reactions: Nickyan

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I usually put it in my carry on bag while in the queue for security, along with my wallet and keys. Best to not have to fumble with a bunch to stuff, less chance to loose or forget something in the organized chaos. Nothing to do with genuine or replica, just want to get through as fast as possible.