• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you remove your rep/gen at airport security?

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Intrigued because I never take mine off unless I absolutely have to, regardless if I've got gen or rep on.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
why wouldn't you? Even with Global Entry/TSA Precheck (here in the US)- you cannot have any metal on you when you go through the detector. Unless it is a Moonswatch or a Casio G Shock- you would have to take it off...

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
why wouldn't you? Even with Global Entry/TSA Precheck (here in the US)- you cannot have any metal on you when you go through the detector. Unless it is a Moonswatch or a Casio G Shock- you would have to take it off...
I think I've always been curious with possible damage that could be caused to the watch in question but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Recent flight to Frankfurt, I didn't have to take my watch off but my belt I did - Was wearing my gen Seamaster blue.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I think I've always been curious with possible damage that could be caused to the watch in question but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Recent flight to Frankfurt, I didn't have to take my watch off but my belt I did - Was wearing my gen Seamaster blue.
interesting they did not make you remove your watch! You must be some double platinum elite flyer with a high government security clearance!

I usually put my watch in a pocket in my carry-on when going through security.

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
interesting they did not make you remove your watch! You must be some double platinum elite flyer with a high government security clearance!

Maybe it's US and Europe this? Trust me, I'm no platinum member of anything!! haha

gindiesel

12/10/20
Canada
You definitely do NOT have to take off a watch going through US (or other) security. I've worn my gen Datejust through security for the past 30 years. It hasn't come off once. Metal detector or scanner. Same in Europe and Canada.

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
i only take my watch off when i'm asked to. only once i didn't wear a watch on a flight. that was my trip to chernobyl, just before the damn war.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11

Interesting. They never make me take mine off, and I fly a handful of times every month. I guess because I always go through the body scanner. I am also not pre TSA pre-screened.

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I don't want to take mine off through fear of something happening with the x-ray

Reactions: asusundevils1971

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
No. I also have Global Entry and all that bullshit since I travel very frequently. Not sure if I would have to otherwise.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Even plastic watch has to be taken off. Security is extra tight on flight going into USA, else where is chill.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I find it funny how the rules vary internationally. A couple years ago, I flew from Las Vegas to Detroit, then from Detroit to Toronto, then Toronto to Heathrow, then Heathrow to India....had to damn near strip down every time, while they scrutinized every piece of photography gear, every phone charger, my watch, my phone, and my Garmin accessories (heart rate monitor, shoe pod, little odds and ends).

Then I flew from India to Nepal. Almost no security at all, and they gave us metal silverware during the flight, which is more or less the same implements that terrorists pulled off 9/11 with.

Security at the airport was no joke, however. Uniformed soldiers with tripod mounted machine guns placed strategically throughout the concourse.

thefallacy

False Dichotomy
Patron
Certified
16/6/15
Yes, if asked to. Had almost all my gens + reps go through without issues from the XR machines so I don't think you have to worry about that. But I do worry about it getting scratched (or stolen) from the tray