• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stymied!

Mark9117

31/5/12
Since I have completely fallen prey to the Rolex bug, I figured it would be a good idea to get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RAWEPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like a good tool, but now that I've got it, I have discovered that I can't open my DSSD because the largest die is just not big enough. I figure there may be a die that I can purchase separately that will fit the larger case back, but besides all that.

I can't get the thing to open my favorite sub or my GMT Master II. How do watchsmiths do it? Please tell me I won't need one of these monsters:

http://www.amazon.com/OTOOLWORLD-Qu...18&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=rolex+watch+opener

Can it really be done with a Jaxa tool?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

D

d4m.test

Hi, actually if You have one lying around I just very carefully use the standard one - try out different pointers starting with the tiniest. What I do is put a lot of pressure with the hand and than try to turn ultra-slowly just to get it loose - when it´s reps and not professionally tightened sooner or later it works. This is not recommended but than it does the job. Got something like Your openers as well but on mine they fit (smaller than the DSSD).
511cgwn5ilL._UX466_.jpg

Mark9117

31/5/12
Hi, actually if You have one lying around I just very carefully use the standard one - try out different pointers starting with the tiniest. What I do is put a lot of pressure with the hand and than try to turn ultra-slowly just to get it loose - when it´s reps and not professionally tightened sooner or later it works. This is not recommended but than it does the job. Got something like Your openers as well but on mine they fit (smaller than the DSSD).

Oh, the biggest die fits the other watches. I just can't get enough pressure and torque to get anything to move.

Will likely order a Jaxa tool and think about maybe a vice I can attach to my kitchen table.

I appreciate the attention .

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
HI Mark

For the DSSD.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Opener...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c9688e2b9#ht_2634wt_900

The dies are the way to go for the rolex.
The Jaxa type might work but there is a great chance of slippage and damage then.

A clamp of some kind would be a smart thing to have.

Even a ghetto rig, i have a 2x4 with a rectangular hole cut in it (a pocket)

I just set the watch in there, and stand on the edge of the board to keep it from moving when working on stubborn casebacks

Hornet

23/2/14
I use an old flexible plastic ball covered in duct tape, works a treat....
.....and even lifts the case back off for you when it's unthreaded.

Mark9117

31/5/12
HI Mark

For the DSSD.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Opener...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c9688e2b9#ht_2634wt_900

The dies are the way to go for the rolex.
The Jaxa type might work but there is a great chance of slippage and damage then.

A clamp of some kind would be a smart thing to have.

Even a ghetto rig, i have a 2x4 with a rectangular hole cut in it (a pocket)

I just set the watch in there, and stand on the edge of the board to keep it from moving when working on stubborn casebacks

Much thanks Raddave. I'll see what I can cobble together. And I appreciate the pointer to the larger die.

Mark

Mark9117

31/5/12
I use an old flexible plastic ball covered in duct tape, works a treat....
.....and even lifts the case back off for you when it's unthreaded.

I've been around this particular tree before. While the sticky ball is known to work on some case backs, my experience is that it does not work on adequately torqued case backs.

If a sticky ball can open it, I'm concerned about it being sufficiently moisture resistant. And I've received watches from dealers that I could open with my bare hands.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I've been around this particular tree before. While the sticky ball is known to work on some case backs, my experience is that it does not work on adequately torqued case backs.

If a sticky ball can open it, I'm concerned about it being sufficiently moisture resistant. And I've received watches from dealers that I could open with my bare hands.

The sticky ball does not work well with the DSSD beceause of the 2 piece caseback design anyway, loss of applied torque will be prevalent due to the fact it must slip on actual caseback while mainting contact with the retaining ring.

However, ive noticed that the sticky ball will actually be able to apply more torque than the jaxa type on the one piece caseback types. A big ball of Rodico works quite well too.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
For the dssd its pretty simple really. You just need a large pill bottle. You will notice that the. Bottom of the pill bottle is about the perfect diameter for the outer ring on the dssd. Line the outer ring carefully and neatly with duct tape and turn away. Voila. Off it comes.